SS Crank recomendations- Mtbr.com
    offroader
    Dec 2008

SS Crank recomendations

Looking for a crankset equivalent to the shimano XT in weight stiffness etc. What others are there?

I am Walt
    Let me add on to this, as I was just about to start another thread...

I'm currently running ENO's (integrated crank/chainring), and have been, for about a year. I run 32x18 on my 29'er, weigh about 185-190, and am a high-torquer. I do 98% of my riding on the SS, over all sorts of terrain, including steep, rocky technical stuff. My bike and gear get beat on.

Lately, over the past three months, I've snapped three PC-1 chains (each after about 200-250 miles), which is unusual for a SS, along with the fact that they are beefy chains. In looking a little more closely recently, I noticed that the chainring is "warped" a bit. What I believe is happening is that the warping gradually creates a weak spot, which eventually gives way under stress. I don't think I can fix that warping, so I'm looking at getting a different crankset.

I have previously run Shimano XT cranks, with a bolt-on chainring, and they were fine, other than my snapping two chainrings when the bolts worked a bit loose. Had some nice hikes out when that happened...

Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation on a good, stiff crankset for the SS. Weight is not a concern for me. I may just go back to the XT's, but am interested in other decent options...

Thanks all!!
    Ride more; post less...

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    ..Weight is not a concern for me....
    SAINT....

remove granny.....throw a bashguard on the big.....sstiffesst and sstrongesst out there...

not light though
    Click Here for Forum Rules

aka baycat
    Try a new chain first.

Like a SRAM 8 speed or KMC610, only broken PC1s too on my WI cranks but love

And for a crankset look at the Shimano SLX models

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Try a new chain first.

Like a SRAM 8 speed or KMC610, only broken PC1s too on my WI cranks but love
    I'm sort of limited with the chains as the ENO's have spacing that requires a SS chain. That said, I haven't checked to see if I can get an 8-speed chain with that spacing. I had always used 8-speed chains with the XT's...
    Ride more; post less...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I'm sort of limited with the chains as the ENO's have spacing that requires a SS chain. That said, I haven't checked to see if I can get an 8-speed chain with that spacing. I had always used 8-speed chains with the XT's...
    8 speed chains are a true 3/32" spacing, so they should work fine. 9 and 10 speed chains are the only ones that are too narrow.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    8 speed chains are a true 3/32" spacing, so they should work fine. 9 and 10 speed chains are the only ones that are too narrow.
    Hmm...I could swear I tried a SRAM 8-speed chain, and it wouldn't fit, but I'll try again. I checked the White Industries web site, and it does say that the ENO's will take both 1/8" and 3/32" chains.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Go for a KMC K710 SL Superlight. Its not really light but it is strong.
    Last edited by Juanmoretime; 04-20-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If weight is no concern at all, you might try the Profile Racing cranks. Tubular steel, and as strong as they come. Everything else pales in terms of stiffness. You can get them in any length up to 190mm.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    Go for a KMC Z710 SL Spuerlight. Its not really light but it is strong.
    or a kmc k810sl, the 3/32" version of that chain. That's what i run on my bike, it's about 319g for 100 links.

mtbr member
    +1 on the K810 chain. Running it and LOVE it. I was having some goofy chain issues prior to switching to this one and it all went away. Magic.

For cranks, check out RD at Shawnee. He modifies XTR (you can provide your own or he will) and can coat them with a ultra-durable ceramic coating. Lots of info on his website:

http://www.ceramikoat.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What a derailment of this thread. OP asks a question, 2nd post derails, and now the discussion is about chains. OP, look at the Fifteen G's, they're fairly light and super stiff.

mtbr member
    + 1 on the Fifteen G's

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by ricthedick
    What a derailment of this thread. OP asks a question, 2nd post derails, and now the discussion is about chains. OP, look at the Fifteen G's, they're fairly light and super stiff.
    Not a derailment but someone piggy backing to get some advice. Heaven forbid!

Standing by my suggestion of Shimano SLX crank arm mated with your favorite chain ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Not a derailment but someone piggy backing to get some advice. Heaven forbid!

Standing by my suggestion of Shimano SLX crank arm mated with your favorite chain ring.
    Still bad form.

I've been looking at the 15g's too. They look nice. I'm using XT and they are great.

Jul 2006
    touche on the thread derailment. How easy i/we get distracted.
    I'm running a modified set of m960's done up by RD at Shawnee. They are pretty sweet and very light.

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    touche on the thread derailment. How easy i/we get distracted.
    I'm running a modified set of m960's done up by RD at Shawnee. They are pretty sweet and very light.
    +1 on the circumcised M960's

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ricthedick

Thanks for the suggestion. The cranks look nice. I'm going to look into them. More suggestions would be appreciated.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    +1 on the circumcised M960's
    How much are they and who's selling them?

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    How much are they and who's selling them?
    ebay has a couple:
    http://shop.ebay.com/items/xtr%20m96..._id=1254372214

i chopped and polished mine myself...not that hard....

if i had to do it again i would go with ISAR's suggestion...then pop one of his rings on it...

makes for a very ssexy ss crankset

mtbr member
    CupofJava - touch base with RD at Shawnee for the cut back XTR960s. That's what I'm riding and I love them. This is the same stuff I mentioned earlier and ISAR.

http://www.ceramikoat.com/

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    RD at Shawnee has amazing customer service as well. He stands behind the products he sells. Three thumbs up.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

Members who have read this thread: 0