SS Conversion_Crank problems- Mtbr.com
    VENI VEDI BIKI

SS Conversion_Crank problems

I thought I would post this here seeing as a fair number of people have conversions. I found a really nice 80ss chro mo frame to use for a SS conversion and began stripping it down yesterday. Problem is that the drive side crank arm bolt is seized and will not budge (older 14 mm style hex head type). I tried soaking it in PB blaster and that did not work. I have tried using the crank arm as a counterforce to leverage my socket wrench, but I can't generate enough downward pressure and the socket keeps slipping. I tried hitting the socket wrench with a hammer and tapping the bolt head with a screw driver. No use.

Any suggestions on how to get this bugger off short of cutting off the spindle?

(I would be just fine keeping it on and griding down the big ring into a bashguard, except the FD was one of those BB bolt on types and there is a big heavy plate next to the BB I want rid of.)

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by skankingbiker; 05-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Long live long rides.
    Have you tried a cheater bar to increase your leverage? It works best when you have a buddy to ensure a good interface between the bolt and tool so you don't strip anything.

Normally I would say you don't need a cheater bar, but it sounds like you have done most everything else (short of a blowtorch).

So, I hope that works out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Like Life and Liberty said, cheater bar. I have an old flat handlebar which I slip over my socket wrench's handle when I need extra leverage

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Heating it up is not a bad idea. It is possible there is loc-tite on the threads (as well as rust).

mtbr member
    heat works when other methods fail avoid direct heat to the bolt. You want the thread to expand with the heat. A heat gun will gneerate plenty so flames not needed.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Like Life and Liberty said, cheater bar. I have an old flat handlebar which I slip over my socket wrench's handle when I need extra leverage

FTW!

PB blaster down the hole on the other end of the axle + old flatbar handbar over socket wrench + lot of elbow grease = success!

Thanks guys! I scratched the sh!t of the the frame in the process (the paint on an old trek 800 seems to chip just from looking at it)...but got r' done.

Long live long rides.
    Nice work.

too bad about the paint, you can nail polish (color or clear) over the small stuff.

Low Rep Count
    Impact gun???? Torch it. Use the small torch you can pick up at Home Depot. I prefer the yellow gas cylinder as it gets hot quicker than the blue.

As noted PB blaster down the opposite side as well. Good luck! Worst case, is if you aren't reusing the cranks, get out the saws all and cut the axle just behind the crank arm.

Members who have read this thread: 0