SS conversion question- Mtbr.com
    Silence! I kill you!

SS conversion question

I've got a frame that I was given (a Giant Boulder SE) that I plan on turning into a SS. Drivetrain parts so far I only have the triple crankset that is currently on the frame which I plan to replace.

SS drivetrain parts I have the Performance brand SS conversion kit with a tensioner and cogs that used an 8speed chain. Well I'm assuming that the included cogs run an 8 speed chain since they were included in the kit.

I am planning on getting a new crankset and putting on a ss chainring I've got a singlespeed chain (xmas present) and I'm wondering if that will fit this setup, or if I should return and pick up an 8 speed chain.

or if anyone has a different idea, let me know
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Your ss chain should work on an 8-speed drivetrain. I think all multi-gear chains and gears are 3/32 and your ss chain is either 3/32 or 1/8. Either way, the ss chain will work.
    Cannondale Caffeine 2 29er
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Fuji RC Team
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Blk Mrkt Mob

CB2
    Jam Econo
    1/8" chains work on 3/32" cogs, but not the other way around, so you should be good to go.
    Unless your current crankset is riveted together, you can just remove the small and large chainrings, and either replace the large w/ a bash-guard, or the chain-ring bolts with shorter ones.

Silence! I kill you!
    The current crankset is riveted, so Its going to get replaced. I was hoping I had a spare crankset lying around, but it looks like I don't.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Members who have read this thread: 0