SS conversion-need advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

SS conversion-need advice

Thinking of doing a conversion on my wifes C'dale F400. Putting my Crossmax XL wheels on it, then going with Forte SS conversion, Origin 8 crank, XT vbrakes, Exotic CF rigid fork.

She doesnt ride it at all, is 2 inches shorter than I am so the frame fits me. Planning on using it as a commuter, but would also like to try it on trails.

What do you guys think of using it on a trail? Nothing like 6 foot drops or DH races,just singel track which is my favorite. Give me anything you got as long as it is worthwhile,looking for any advice you might have.Let me know what you guys are using for gearing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Start from 2:1 ratio combo and adjust as you feel like it. Sounds like an ideal components to try out ss. Didn't it have a headshock fatty D or whatever with the huge headset? If so the new fork may not fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It has that big fat headset but came with a Manitou Axel fork, not the headshock, so a regular fork will fit just fine.

Think I will have any issues using it in this setup for East Coast Single track, Blue RIdge to the coast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That's nice, is that an yellow/orange one? My wife bought it a dozen or so years ago solely because of the color - and actually, it looks very decent/light for a sub-grand bike. Unfortunately it has the headshock, and I don't have (or willing to get) a tool to take it off. I'm curious - does yours have a headset reducer? Ours still looks like a new bike, except a couple of scratches that I put in for her. And it go through mysterious changes on components every now and then - the wife of course doesn't notice it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

it's great for trails

i've converted my 10 year old frame a year ago and replaced every part now. it's very quick and light but wouldn't recommend it without a suspension fork since it's a very stiff frame. well all I can say just try it, especially with Crosmax wheels it will be QUICK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stayin' Puft
    Make sure you have a wide-based rear cog (not a cheep pressed flat rear cog) or else you will gouge the crap out of your crossmax cassette body. Surly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I wouldn't ride a wife's bike. I only ride manly bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve Lansteamer
    I wouldn't ride a wife's bike. I only ride manly bikes.
    You mean, you bought this bike?
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/765370039.html

Post the pic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Cleve, why dont you go to the gym and pump yourself. When I ask for worthwhile input, I mean it. Dont waste my time or yours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    You mean, you bought this bike?
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/765370039.html

Post the pic!
    hah that's funny stuff btw

forgot about my gearing, it 34 - 17 most of the time, but I live in the Netherlands so hills are never very long here. When I take it on vacations (germany last summer) I'm running 34 - 19

oh and the comment about surly stuff is very true, i have it myself now. used a standard ss cog at first but it indeed started eating my casette body.

one more thing, good chance your going to use a spring tensioner. make sure you run it in push up mode instead of push down. the extra chainwrap makes it nicer te ride and it's also a lot better for your chain, chainring and cog. use a halflink if needed

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat
    Make sure you have a wide-based rear cog (not a cheep pressed flat rear cog) or else you will gouge the crap out of your crossmax cassette body. Surly.
    So when you say a "wide based cog", you mean something like these?

And NOT this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    exactly

Members who have read this thread: 0