SS Conversion of my Superfly- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

SS Conversion of my Superfly

I bought a 13' Trek Superfly AL Elite 4 weeks back. I've only been riding for a month and a half, and I'm addicted. About a week or so ago I wanted to loose the front derailleur and convert my Shimano XT 42/32/24 to just the 32. I got great advise on how to do that. Now Im toying with the idea of just going full SS as for the past few days I've been keeping it on my 32x17 ring and been able to handle some of the tougher trails that North Georgia has to offer.

Three questions, Is it cheap to convert since I currently have a x10 in the rear?

And do you guys have only a SS and no other geared bikes? Am I off my rocker removing all my gears on my only bike?

Lastly on the rear end could I keep my current wheel and gears on it and buy a new one with a single gear and change the wheel when wanting to have gears. This includes adding the rear derailleur and different chain back on the bike for those rare moments.. Is that possible/smart?

Or I guess I could just ride the current setup like its a SS and never switch the gears but that is no fun... And I'm hauling around extra weight..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Different strokes for different folks. You might love having an SS as your only bike, you might not. What others like is inconsequential.

That said, MisFit Psycles has a single speed conversion kit with tensioner. Re-use your current rear wheel with the spacers and SS cog, swap the tensioner for the derailleur and zip tie the cable out of the way. If you like it and want to get rid of the last few grams, then pull the shifter and cable off. Hang on to that stuff in case you want to switch back, which should only take a few minutes once you've done it a few times. Personally, I would leave the cable and shifter on the bike until you loose all desire to switch back to gears. They don't weigh much and routing the cable will be one of the more time consuming parts of the conversion back to gears.

That's my .02....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the help. I will order one of these systems. Very cheap comparatively! Also great idea with keeping the cabling and shifters on for a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well here it is. It was a blast to ride this morning! Thanks again for all the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS Conversion of my Superfly-img_0842.jpg  

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post
    And do you guys have only a SS and no other geared bikes?
    Yup. One bike ss only.
    Am I off my rocker removing all my gears on my only bike?
    Absolutely, but do it anyway.

ps. bike looks good
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Members who have read this thread: 0