SS conversion on my mongoose d40r need help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

SS conversion on my mongoose d40r need help

its my childhood bike, decided i wanted to get into mountain biking and remembered that my dad still had it in his shed. i looked around and saw bad reviews on it so im not trying to dump alot of money into it. just want to do a ss conversion and start riding. ive ran into a few issues...my chain rings look like theyre just riveted together so im gonna need to buy a chain ring and i might as well buy a new cog for the back. im goin with a 2:1 ratio. any advice on what number teeth to use? the bike has 24" tires. the main issue is my crank arms are like a plastic composite and they dont even bolt to the chain rings, the "fingers" on the drive side crank just bend like rubber. so i need to get new cranks too so i can bolt to my new chain ring. its a left hand drive bike and its kinda hard to find left hand drive cranks. im looking to find some used ones(on a very tight budget) and i figure itll be easier to find some right hand drive cranks and just put them on the different side but i saw that itll give me issues with the threading of the pedals. really jus needing advice on exact specs on the parts i should get, like tooth count, what bcd?, any particular chain?, crank length, etc. thanks for any help

mtbr member
    You'd honestly be better off finding a used/free hardtail in your size and grabbing the components off the Mongoose that are compatible, rather than doing any more work on it.

The FS design and poor rear shock will rob power, especially on a SS where you'll be standing and climbing a lot.

I was in your same boat a few years ago when I built my first SS. Stole the brakes, cockpit, crank, and wheels off an old Royce Union frame I had in middle school and set it up on a nice aluminum GT frame with a rigid fork. One by one I upgraded everything on that bike, brakes and tires first, then wheels, and finally the cranks and cockpit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can you post some pics of the bike. I tried to look for pictures of it and couldn't find any that is left hand drive. If you can some close up's of the crank/bb area and pics of the rear cassette. My thought is to find some cheap or used crank/bb and rear cog (if its a regular cassette type hub) and it should be pretty cheap. But anymore than that and it might be more cost effective to find a used hardtail to convert. A $30 SS conversion kit can make most MTB's a single speed.

And to answer your other questions, a 34T front sprocket is pretty common so a 17t rear would put you are 2:1. I run 1/8" chain but also 1/8" sprockets. Normal sprockets and chain are 3/32" (8 and 9 speed) and they are fine. BCD is going to depend on what crank set you use. Just match the front sprockets to what ever bolt pattern your crank has. Crank length, normal is 175mm but you can find 170mm and 180mm. I like the 180mm when SS as it gives me alittle more leverage on slow technical climbs but makes spinning (high crank rpms) alittle harder. Its a personal perferance thing. Also something to look at is wider bars as you get power by pulling up on the bars when you are standing and pedaling. Wider bars gives you more leverage.

Hope this helps alittle.

Gotta pay to play
    Just find a used SS. They pop up on Ebay all the time for under $400. You'll end up spending way more money and time trying to convert your old bike- and it will still suck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Man im so embarrassed lol, it is a right hand drive, i dont know what i was thinking. but i know what you mean about power robbing, i took it for a ride before i started tearing it apart and the whole thing was bouncing up and down while i was tryin to get up a hill. I really dont hav the money to buy another bike right now. i was originally plannin on makin this a free swap by using one of of current chain rings, one of my rear cogs, shortening my current chain and maybe using my old derailer as a chain tensioner if i had to. but now since i know im gonna need a new chainring and cranks i might as well get a new cog and chain. im just not wanting to spend alot of money, around 50-75 if possible? I plan on getting a nice bike around tax time. ill have a few hundred to spend. im not gonna ride the. mongoose real hard in the meantime, i know theyre weak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For $50-75 you'll spend putting lipstick on your pig of a bike, search craigslist and you should find a nice rider for that amount-- look for old specialized rockhoppers, gt, diamondback.... I am in an area without much selection and I still see nice older bikes for $40-70 on a regular basis.

I believe that is the advice everyone is telling you to do; even investing $50 into your bike is really too much! If you already had the parts it would be one thing.

So take that $50 and get a much better quality bike and make the changes to it you originally thought you'd be able to do with your 'Goose.

My $0.02!

-Kevin

Wanted: 102bcd 4 bolt (M960) SS chainring in 32t or 34t variety

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im jus wantin to do this mongoose as a learning experience, ive never really worked on bikes before so this will be a good way to get familiar with them before i get a nice bike and not know how to work on it. and ive also never riddin on trails before either so i wanna use the mongoose to get into it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok, ill take yalls advice, sorry i was still typing that last post while you posted yours. im doin all this on my phone and its taking forever lol.

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by apache101786 View Post
    Man im so embarrassed lol, it is a right hand drive, i dont know what i was thinking. but i know what you mean about power robbing, i took it for a ride before i started tearing it apart and the whole thing was bouncing up and down while i was tryin to get up a hill. I really dont hav the money to buy another bike right now. i was originally plannin on makin this a free swap by using one of of current chain rings, one of my rear cogs, shortening my current chain and maybe using my old derailer as a chain tensioner if i had to. but now since i know im gonna need a new chainring and cranks i might as well get a new cog and chain. im just not wanting to spend alot of money, around 50-75 if possible?
    You might be able to do it for under $75. But you'll have to scrounge around ebay or craigslist for used parts.

I'd advise you just walk away, save your cash, and get something better when you have funds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the help guys. ive been lookin around and i think im gonna try and get a rockhopper.

mtbr member
    Where do you live? Look for a local bike cooperative. Most large cities have them these days and they're a good source for old frames and bikes.

Hell, try volunteering with your local IMBA chapter and ask around. Most riders have spare bikes and frames that are old and gathering dust and every enthusiast would rather an old bike be ridden by someone in need who is passionate than hanging on the wall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I live in oklahoma city. Thanks for the help, ill check around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I searched around and theres no recyclery's in town. i did find a local mtb group and i joined their forum but i have to wait for them to approve it.

mtbr member
    The Anti-Shop | Bicycling Magazine

Might want to check these guys out.
    Free Wheels Bicycle Recyclery
    29 N. E. 27th St.
    Oklahoma City, OK

Or the Scissortail Social Space:
    Scissortail Social Space

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I found that same place on google and theyre not listed. Ive called a few shops and theyve never heard of it. I i think that article is a lil old. What sucks is my dad has a giant and a diamond back with a carbon fiber frame. he doesnt ride at all, theyre jus sitting in his shed and he wont sell either to me.

mtbr member
    um...
    oklahoma city all for sale / wanted classifieds "rockhopper" - craigslist
    and that one at the bottom is 29"SS; $500 tho...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apache101786 View Post
    I found that same place on google and theyre not listed. Ive called a few shops and theyve never heard of it. I i think that article is a lil old. What sucks is my dad has a giant and a diamond back with a carbon fiber frame. he doesnt ride at all, theyre jus sitting in his shed and he wont sell either to me.
    I'd roll by and ask people around the shop location what the scoop is. Most bike cooperatives are volunteer run and have limited open hours. It's possible the founders have moved on but it's also possible that they are just staying low key for now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yeah i emailed the guy thats selling the 09 rockhopper that says URGENT in the title but he hasnt emailed back yet. the listing is a couple weeks old and in the ad it said he was trying to sell that night so he could pay his rent. and i google mapped that free wheels place and saw a business right down the street so i called them and asked them about the place and they said a couple of "hippie" guys used to run it but its been closed for awhile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok so i found a 2000 special expedition a1 fsr on craigslist for 50. Only issue is the front derailer is messed up but since im doin a single speed its not an issue. Should i jump on this deal? Need advice fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I guess im gonna pass this bike up because i keep reading that full suspension bikes arent good for ss. too much give when pedaling up hill and issues with chain tension due to suspension travel. the expedition seemed like a killer deal tho. but when i looked it up on bikepedia its listed as a commuter, not mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i went ahead and put the mongoose back together so i can have something to ride untill i buy me a new bike. i have it on the middle chainring and 5th cog. they line up perfect and i set the derailleur to stay. i would have put it completely back together but i trashed the shifters when i took the bike apart so its pretty much a single speed but with all the extra gears just hangin around. now i just need some new tubes and we'll see how it rides. im plannin on spending some extra cash to just get a new bike instead of used. im lookin at the se stout 29er ss. ive been seein that you can get them new in the 300's if its late in the model year and theyre having clearances.