SS conversion help??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS conversion help??

i know that im probably reposting something that has been answered already but i searched for these things and i couldnt find anything. i have a Marin Rocky Ridge and im tryin to convert it to ss. now i have been told that i need a new bb. but ive heard that i dont. and i also am trying to get a full complete parts and tools list together so i can order them. im looking at the soulcraft conversion kit and i was wondering if it had all of the parts i need to o the conversion. and i also need to get some ideaof what tools i need. thanks s much in advance

bikexor
    Did you read the FAQ - read this first!!! link at the top right of this page?
    Little Shred Riding Hood

AZ
    banned
    If you are using the Soulcraft tensioner , you need a cog and spacers . You will need a chain whip and a lockring tool to remove your cassette cogs . A chain breaker to shorten your chain , and a quick link to put it back together . You also need tools to remove your crankset so that you can remove your chainrings .

mtbr member
    yea ive read the FAQ. but i still dont know if i need to get a new bb…

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MEA scepter

Are you using a chain tensioner ?

Steamroller

Your BB should be OK

Quote Originally Posted by MEA scepter
    Since you are probably using a regular 9 speed rear wheel, with spacers you can put the cog where you want and space it for the optimal straight chainline. If however you will use a singlespeed hub with a singlespeed freewheel, it would require a BB with a shorter spindle to get the right chainline.

I've built many SS bikes, but it's been a few years since the last one. I think the BBs I used mostly had a 113mm or less spindle.

I'm not a big fan of the tensioners at all, but if that's what it takes to get you on an SS bike go for it.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Ovaries on the Outside
    Set up your bike for riding. Check chainline. No new BB. I'm feeling pretty good about that assumption. The middle chainring usually mates well to the cassette hub.

Chain tensioners are fine. Maybe more cluttered, but they usually work well.

mtbr member
    yea im lookin at the soulcraft chain tensioner cuz i have a small budget.... but thanks for the clarification on the bb hopefully im goin to get the parts ordered by the end of january but maybe sooner

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Don't do it !!! It's very addicting , like your in time machine ,riding like a kid again...

Members who have read this thread: 0