Not a Barry supporter.

SS conversion complete, but...

I have a slight problem. I found an slightly bent XT derailler for $3 and thought I'd give it a shot. The part that's bent are the pulleys. I straightened it out and chain alignment looks to be pretty darn straight. Just riding it around my driveway I notice that it tends to 'skip' every 5th pedal stroke or so. I'm curious if this is b/c of the derailler being ever so slightly bent or is it simply b/c it's a conversion and I'm actually using a derailler for a tensioner? Could it also be that I need to remove a few links?

Thanks for any and all help.

And BIG UPS to Blowout for giving me an 18t cog and for JRA for all his help as well. I'm hoping to hook up with these guys on a ride very, very soon.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

My guess...

is that there is a stiff link in the chain...

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I have a slight problem. I found an slightly bent XT derailler for $3 and thought I'd give it a shot. The part that's bent are the pulleys. I straightened it out and chain alignment looks to be pretty darn straight. Just riding it around my driveway I notice that it tends to 'skip' every 5th pedal stroke or so. I'm curious if this is b/c of the derailler being ever so slightly bent or is it simply b/c it's a conversion and I'm actually using a derailler for a tensioner? Could it also be that I need to remove a few links?

Thanks for any and all help.

And BIG UPS to Blowout for giving me an 18t cog and for JRA for all his help as well. I'm hoping to hook up with these guys on a ride very, very soon.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I'm curious if this is b/c of the derailler being ever so slightly bent or is it simply b/c it's a conversion and I'm actually using a derailler for a tensioner? Could it also be that I need to remove a few links?
    Doesn't sound like a problem w/ the derailleur nor a problem w/ using a derailleur as tensions (I ran a SS this way for a full season w/ no problems). Check for a stiff link like has been suggested and also take as much chain out as you possibly can. That derailleur should be pointed almost straight forward.