SS Conversion On A Budget- Mtbr.com
    GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

SS Conversion On A Budget

I wanted to convert my P1 DJ to SS and I didn't want to buy a king cog or other proper conversion kit because I'm cheap. But, I also didn't want to do the total ghetto setup with one skinny gear sandwiched between a bunch of spacers that would eventually eat into my freehub body.

So, I remembered a trick from my old trials days and found an old road cassette...the type that has pins and comes apart. I took that an arranged it as I wanted per 15 tooth gear and spacers. I then employed the bench grinder to grind the teeth off the gear with the pin threads. Finally I found some "washers" from a door handle fixture to create some additional spacers and act as a rear chainguide of sorts. I put it all back together so I had one unit that would all move together against the freehub body...thus eliminating the one gear gouging into the freehub body over time issue. I topped it all off with a big spacer that covered the one side that came from a plumbing fixture of some sort.

It works amazing and I used all parts I had. Plus it gave me an excuse to use my bench grinder. Anyway...since I spent way more time on this than buying a correct conversion kit would have taken I had to share.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352083519.758657.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  21.1 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352083539.130705.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  22.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352083551.086364.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  28.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352083562.234035.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  28.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352083573.366538.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  35.6 KB
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    looks good. just what i wanted to see!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So this road cassette fits onto a standard freehub body?

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    So this road cassette fits onto a standard freehub body?
    Yep same size diameter, notch pattern etc between road and MTB.

Even if its diff in number of gears that can then be adjusted for in spacers. The cassette you would want would be one with three small removable allen pins in the back. The good news is that a lot of the cheaper road cassettes are of this design most older and cheaper shimano road cassettes are this way. If you were to ask at your LBS in pretty sure they could set you up.

Also SRAM has a system with one removable pin...this is not what you would want as the spacers on this design have bumps on them to integrate with the gears so problematic putting them side by side.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looks pretty cool & and you did a nice job on that.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 38superman View Post
    Looks pretty cool & and you did a nice job on that.
    Thanks!

The main idea here I wanted to pass along to the SSers out there is that with these cassettes that come apart...you can then create a large integrated unit with spacers and the gear that will all move as one and as such eliminate the gouging into the freehub body that I see a lot on home SS conversions.

If you look at a King cog etc they address this by making the base/freehub contact area of the cog/gear wider for the same reason but it can be accomplished easily this way as well with a cheap or old cassette...as long as its the three pin type that comes apart of course.

Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0