SS commuter rambling- Mtbr.com
    Long live the ASR-7

SS commuter rambling

Just trying to think outloud and get some input. I've got my Cannondale F6 that I commute on. 26" hardtail, Dart 2 up front, commuter slicks, and 1x8 currently. I hate my fork and my gears are all low end crap that I can really do without.

My commute is pretty flat and short(5 miles). Problem I'm having going SS is that I'm already spinning out in some parts of my commute riding in 42-11. I've got an old XT crank that I'd like to get a SS specific chainring for. Haven't seen too many SS chainrings that are 104bcd and 40T+ and cogs are a little scarce in the 11/12T variety. I've done a lot of googling, but maybe I'm not searching the correct wording to find what I want. Is there some holy grail of SS parts website I'm not finding?

Want a new fork up front. Rigid is the way I'm leaning. Want to spend around $150. What's out there?

Eventually this bike will find some time off the pavement, but for now it is strictly a commuter and to haul the kids around in a trailer. I've got a full Dura Ace road bike as well. Another idea I had was to buy a cyclocross frame and build it up as a SS with all the parts I've got laying around. So just a lot of rambling, what to do?

mtbr member
    The big ring off a regular triple crank will work just fine for SS commuting. The ramps don't really make a noticable difference.

For forks, Surly and Salsa steel rigid forks can be had for much less than $150.

Long live the ASR-7
    I've been dropping my chain some. It didn't bother me at first, but it's been happening more frequently.

local trails rider
    I think 42/11 would kill me on my 26" bike, and I don't have big hills on the way... 36/15 with fat tires gets me there and I have some acceleration at the traffic lights too.

There's some 40+ DH chainrings out there. Blackspire, at least, has up to 46T:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28729

I forget if it is possible to put those in the outer position. Middle position could have clearance problems with the seat stays?

a 12T cog:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17775

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba
    Problem I'm having going SS is that I'm already spinning out in some parts of my commute riding in 42-11.
    You must be Superman!
    Ride more!

local trails rider
    There's no shame in coasting a bit after you top 25 mph...
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Known Mountainbiker
    spinning out with a 42-11....what is that about 35mph?

caz

Cthulhu fhtagn
    i commute on my SS with 32/18 (29er) and i never run out of gear. im slow i guess
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

holding back the darkness
    SSing means you will spin out at times. And it means you will mash at times. These are the sacrifices one makes..
    Actually, they are just trades one makes. On a geared bike people typically gear down and spin up big climbs and gear up and mash in the fast flats and descents. The opposite is true for SSers.

BTW... according to Sheldon Brown's unerringly accurate gear calculator, you're telling us that you're "spinning out" (excess of 100rpm, shall we say?) a 42x11 on your 26er. That puts you at or over 29.5mph. You're hauling. Get yourself a set of suginos and a monster 53t chainring.
    There are also probably still some of these ungodly bastards around:
    **** censorship

Long live the ASR-7
    I'll spin out on the small descent I've got on the way to work. It is a very short distance. Other than that I'm probably around 75rpm. I'm on a bike 150+ miles a week. The road bike gets a lot of saddle time.

I just need to stay above 40T in my chainring and 12 for my cog and I think I'll be fine. The tires I've got are really fast on the pavement. Going back to knobby tires just to slow down would be dumb.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're topping out on 104 BCD. Might wanna jump up to 110 or 130 BCD.

For $150, you could get a Sugino RD2 crank and bottom bracket.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Cranksets.aspx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    that's a hefty gear for hills but I spin out the 56x18 sometimes so I know the feeling. (the 56's on a roadbike though, wheels has a very different rotational mass, my mtb ss is running 39x15)
    I'd suggest going big, REALLY big.
    I'm not comfy with the minimal chain wrap on an 11 tooth cog, especially going uphill.
    I'd suggest going up by a bunch in the front (like a 52 or so) and then move up a couple in back (maybe a 15).
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Members who have read this thread: 0