SS cogs in Dirt Rag- Mtbr.com
    Mtn Biker Machinist

SS cogs in Dirt Rag

thumbing through the latest issue and I saw an ad from endless bikes for ss cogs 15-24T for $30! sweeet! alas there website contains no info, so I shot off an email, I'll post the reply when I get it! Could this be, our salvation?! (in the voice of Golbert Godfreid)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Sounds like the Surly cogs. The new batch is not available yet. The first run was flawed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Category Winner

I might know something.

I spoke with Adam at Endless this weekend at the Fontana night DH and he said that he was going to have the cogs made out of 7000 series aluminum. They will be wide and he wanted to send me one. Hopefully I will be seeing one soon. I asked if I would be able to photo/post it when I got it (in an email yesterday) and I haven't heard back yet Those facts could be slightly off as I was drinking before the conversation. I do know that he bumped me into 4th place by something like 4 seconds pulling a podium spot out of my sticky fingers in the full rigid class.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Warning: long, here's the reply

Kurt,

How's it going, man?
    So check it out: I'm running things to the wire with this cog project and
    totally was banking on the magazine not going out until the 15th! The website
    additions and online store will likely be done tonight, and real actual cogs
    will exist Monday the 14th, and will be ready to ship immediately. Here's the
    text from the website:

.................................................. ..............

Our sexy single speed cogs are thick in the middle to mate perfectly with your
    rear wheel’s free-hub body, are available from a petite 15 tooth to a full 25
    tooth count and are compatible with all mountain bike cassette hubs.

At a full quarter inch wide (6.35mm) at the splines, Kick-Ass-Cogs simply will
    not damage your free hub body the way a narrower cog can. Made of high strength
    7075-T6 alloy, Kick-Ass-Cogs are precision machined insuring perfect axial and
    radial alignment that compliments the superior chain lines that cassette style
    hubs allow. The specially engineered tooth profile on Kick-Ass-Cogs improves
    both cog and chain life while minimizing drive train friction.

Like all EndlessBikeCo. Products, Kick-Ass-Cogs are made right here in the good
    ole US of A. Keep your money where your mouth is, baby.

Tech Tips:

To maximize drive train efficiency, we recommend the most inboard chain line
    possible by use of narrow bottom brackets and inboard mounted chain rings. The
    narrower the chainline, the lower the bending force on your frame’s rear end!

Looking to increase drive train life AND rear end stiffness? Our high tooth
    count Kick-Ass-Cogs allow super smooth big gear configurations (such as 44/24)
    which minimize chain tension, improving both chain and gear wear. Big bonus to
    all you heavy pedal gear grinders out there!

Want a better gear for pedaling to the trail? Run two chain rings up front with
    a 1mm spacer between two Kick-Ass-Cogs for two perfect parallel single speeds!
    To minimize readjustment concerns, simply have the sum of each gear combo equal
    the other. For instance 36/14 and 32/18 (36+14=50, 32+18=50) are a great pair
    for pedaling from downtown Asheville to go ride Pisgah.

The website is:
    www.endlessbikes.com

mtbr member
    yea for Endless. them is good people. i have seen Marshall post anywhere...glad to see they're still up and running.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

alum-minium?

I was under the impression that aluminum cogs had far less life expectancy than their steel brothers, was there any verdict actually reached? i have a steel CK thats going on its 3rd season, but have gone through two aluminum chainrings in that time. is this kick ass cog's grade of aluminum different than raceface chainrings?

Mtn Biker Machinist

Depends on the Grade

Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    I was under the impression that aluminum cogs had far less life expectancy than their steel brothers, was there any verdict actually reached? i have a steel CK thats going on its 3rd season, but have gone through two aluminum chainrings in that time. is this kick ass cog's grade of aluminum different than raceface chainrings?
    They are the same grade of aluminium, 7075-T6 so the durability is probably similar to the CK aluminium ones, not sure what grade they use though. Aluminium is definitely easier to machine than steel, which may explain Endless's decision to go with aluminium.??? Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    Lifespan will be short. A 7000 series Al ring lasts me less than a year. A cog from the same material would need to be replaced every few months for me. I used a 26t Al granny ring on the rear and it show signs of wear in a couple of weeks.
    mtbtires.com

And He was Not

Steel Is Real

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Lifespan will be short. A 7000 series Al ring lasts me less than a year. A cog from the same material would need to be replaced every few months for me. I used a 26t Al granny ring on the rear and it show signs of wear in a couple of weeks.
    Alu. doesn't sound very promising. I guess I'm gonna' hold out for what I know works. I really wanted this to be a good option.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

interesting

aluminum cogs from a couple guys who created the most overbuilt, steel frames for hard core street and trail riding (primarily as SS's).
    i don't see the reasoning. it certainly isn't weight. if cheaper/easier machining is indeed the reason, then that's a bad decision, IMO. i don't think i'll buy one even though they are my local buds. much like shiggy, i wear out alu too quickly. we'll see...
    if i run into Marshall or Adam, i will certainly ask.
    Spinning and Grinning...

Mtn Biker Machinist

I want to know the answer

Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    aluminum cogs from a couple guys who created the most overbuilt, steel frames for hard core street and trail riding (primarily as SS's).
    i don't see the reasoning. it certainly isn't weight. if cheaper/easier machining is indeed the reason, then that's a bad decision, IMO. i don't think i'll buy one even though they are my local buds. much like shiggy, i wear out alu too quickly. we'll see...
    Post if you get a good answer from them, cuz I agree it doesn't make much sense when steel would really make a kick a** cog! Made of aluminium it's more like a decent cog!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    I do not mean to dis their efforts. There is a market for the Al cogs as CK has shown. If the Endless cogs are available AND cheaper it is a good thing!
    If you tend to change your gearing a lot the wear may be less of a factor.
    If you use the larger sizes the wear is reduced.
    If you want less weight they are perfect!

I may grab a couple if the Surly cromos are still going to take a while.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    this is what i am e-speculating. aluminum was cheaper, which meant a lower price for us. Marshall's frames aren't cheaply made (by Brew), and he's all for strong products. i doubt he would skimp on cogs. call me crazy, but i'm putting my faith in Marshall/Endless that these will be sweet. i will fo' sho' be in line to get one.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

once again...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I do not mean to dis their efforts. There is a market for the Al cogs as CK has shown. If the Endless cogs are available AND cheaper it is a good thing!
    If you tend to change your gearing a lot the wear may be less of a factor.
    If you use the larger sizes the wear is reduced.
    If you want less weight they are perfect!

I may grab a couple if the Surly cromos are still going to take a while.
    shiggy makes good points (big surprise ).
    i wont be running anything smaller than a 20, and with these cog options, i may even go to a 22 in the rear and a 34 up front - more teeth putting less wear and tear on the drivetrain makes sense. of course, steel is the most appealing thing to me, but i am going to reserve further guestimations until i hear more.
    Spinning and Grinning...

And He was Not

$$$$

At $30 this could be a pricey X-pirement. So I don't think there is an $ being saved on my end. May be on the retailers end. I'm not wanting to rag on there efforts, but the price for Alu. should be a little less. That's real close to what steel cogs cost isn't it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I agree, but it seems that CK has more important parts to manufacture then cogs for us knuckleheads. I'm wanting for that boat load of surlys to get hear from Asia.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlydave
    I agree, but it seems that CK has more important parts to manufacture then cogs for us knuckleheads. I'm wanting for that boat load of surlys to get hear from Asia.
    from Asia?? do you know for a fact that this is true? so now we can't even manufacture basic, steel cogs here in the States?? our country is getting sadder by the minute. or maybe i should have spelled it this way, "sadder BUY the minute."
    Spinning and Grinning...

Recovering Weight Weenie
    CK cogs in AL last me a few weeks before self-destructing.
    The steel version lasted me about 6 months.

My Boone Ti cog lasted me well over a year.

And He was Not
    Boone Cogs are $40 for the smaller size. Thats really not to bad of a deal, when you consider $30 for Alu.

mtbr member
    Howdy y'all!

This is Marshall Hance from EndlessBikeCo.
    When designing the Kick-Ass-Cogs, I chose 7075-T6 because I thought it was ideal for the application.

7075-T6 is a solution heat treated version of 7075 that is twice as hard as the alloy alot of high end chainrings are made of.
    Compaired to 6061, it is 5 times as hard, to 6061-T6 it is 50% harder.
    In fact, the alloy used in Kick-Ass-Cogs actually beats out most common steel's, while giveing you some tangable weight savings (.1 lbs on an 18t).

The proof is in the pudding, and I'll be picking these baby's up from the machine shop tonight and will snap a few pics with my crappy digital camera for y'all.

Thank's to all of you that have already placed your orders! I'm going to have to reorder within a week at this rate...but don't worry everyone else: because we keep mfg local our lead time is super reliable and short.

Take care,

-M

Thanks for the details, Marshall. May you keep your supplier busy!
    mtbtires.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.

sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways
    Howdy y'all!

When designing the Kick-Ass-Cogs, I chose 7075-T6 because I thought it was ideal for the application.

7075-T6 is a solution heat treated version of 7075 that is twice as hard as the alloy alot of high end chainrings are made of.
    In fact, the alloy used in Kick-Ass-Cogs actually beats out most common steel's, while giveing you some tangable weight savings (.1 lbs on an 18t).

The proof is in the pudding, and I'll be picking these baby's up from the machine shop tonight and will snap a few pics with my crappy digital camera for y'all.

Thank's to all of you that have already placed your orders! I'm going to have to reorder within a week at this rate...but don't worry everyone else: because we keep mfg local our lead time is super reliable and short.

Take care,

-M
    now that is what we all really wanted to hear! and manufactured locally- yeah!!!
    i better get my order in! at least i can save on shipping... i will just ride on over and pick it up!

thanks Marshall!
    Spinning and Grinning...

Category Winner

I look forward to trying it.

My King has already been flipped and is on its last life.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways
    Howdy y'all!

Take care,

-M
    nice to see you here. order is going in tonight.

mtbr member
    Here's the first one off the line!

I've been needing a pavement gear for a while, so it will line right up with a 36t on the middle ring sitting beside my 21t prototype which is driven by a 28t inner (yes, I'm pushing a baby gear this winter...knees need a break).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mashers Only!!
    Do you have 17t and 18t ?? and how can I get one of each?? Or more..
    HUGH

Looks good, Marshall!
    Do the larger sizes have cutouts?

I think we "need" to see pics of your bike, too (start a new thread). I looked at your profile. 29/26? There has been lots of talk about mixed wheel sizes but I have seen just one purpose-built 29/26 bike.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    just ordered an 18t.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    just ordered an 18t.
    inbred
    i searched for this thread, as i am interested in the KAC...
    what's your thoughts on it, since i assume you've been running it for a few weeks?