SS Cog Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS Cog Question

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SS Cog Question

So I have a 9 speed Dura Ace 12-24 cassette in good condition just laying around. Since it comes apart fully, can I use the individual cogs as a rear cog till I find out what cog I want? Will I have any issues? I think they are ti as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It isn't recommend. For one the cogs in a cassette are designed to allow or even promote the chain to move off of it. Secondly the narrowness of the cog will gouge the free hub body...very badly if the FH body is aluminum.

I like turtles
    I just dropped a 15t off an XT cassette on mine to experiment with gear choices - once I figure out what gear I want, I will be purchasing a heavy-duty SS cog! To be honest thought, I am a bit skeptical about the chain coming off of it, its so tight I don't see how that is possible?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo
    I just dropped a 15t off an XT cassette on mine to experiment with gear choices - once I figure out what gear I want, I will be purchasing a heavy-duty SS cog! To be honest thought, I am a bit skeptical about the chain coming off of it, its so tight I don't see how that is possible?
    I've used single cassette cogs and had no issues, and I've used single cassette cogs that skipped like crazy. In my experience it isn't worth it to run a drive train that might let the chain skip when you're pushing the hardest, that's why I don't recommend it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    you can p/u a cheap steel cog for under 10 dollars then upgrade

Members who have read this thread: 0