SS for a Clyde... .- Mtbr.com
    banned

SS for a Clydedale guy... .

Alright.

I have made up my mind. I want a SingleSpeed Bike for under $500 with a decent setup.

Anything you guys can recommend? I have ridden the Specialized P1, a Specialized Hardrock SS with Dirt Jumper 3 forks, and some Giant SS. I won't go for the Giant. I test rode it and went for a sprint and there was a persistent clicking sound.

I love the P1 but it is a little too much $ for me. If I can get my dad to pay for a portion of it, then maybe...

My friend is selling the Hardrock with the upgraded forks for $350-$450.

I really want the Hardrock... but I want to see any other options first.

He just got his Kona Stinky and won't touch his SS with a 50 ft pole. I will see what the cheapest he will sell it for.

EDIT: I had a talk with my dad. He could see how badly I wanted the Hardrock. He said if they will take $400 I can pick it up tonight. Woot!
    Last edited by standard235; 07-31-2005 at 07:28 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Alright.

I have made up my mind. I want a SingleSpeed Bike for under $500 with a decent setup.

Anything you guys can recommend? I have ridden the Specialized P1, a Specialized Hardrock SS with Dirt Jumper 3 forks, and some Giant SS. I won't go for the Giant. I test rode it and went for a sprint and there was a persistent clicking sound.

I love the P1 but it is a little too much $ for me. If I can get my dad to pay for a portion of it, then maybe...

He just got his Kona Stinky and won't touch his SS with a 50 ft pole. I will see what the cheapest he will sell it for.

EDIT: I had a talk with my dad. He could see how badly I wanted the Hardrock. He said if they will take $400 I can pick it up tonight. Woot!
    A few things...
    What exactly do you feel qualifies for "clyde?"

"Decent" is a broad term. If you buy a $500 Specialized and right it quite a bit, it will be spitting parts out like mad. Junk.

Is this SS for you to dirt jump on? Or for trail riding? The two bikes needed for each are worlds apart.

banned
    Well, I am over 200lbs so I am officially considered a Clydesdale.

Secondly, this bike has been ridden beyond my limits by a friend and hasn't broken. I am going to replace te chain and maybe the freewheel/chainring. I will be riding it at the BMX track sometimes... but it will mostly be for riding around town with drops up to 5 feet.

I might also ride trails. I'm not serious about it... I just want something that will hold up to me and let me have fun. Paying for new parts all the time isn't fun.

Also, another thing I need is suspension. This bike, like I said, has mint dirt jumper 3 forks.

If I can get ahold of him today, and they accept our offer of $400, then this is the bike for me.

banned
    Alright. I have gotten ahold of him.

He said that he would sell the bike for $400.... but only after he replaces the chain tensioner, the grips, and the front brake lever.

Sounds great to me. First new bike in 3 yrs so I am quite happy. I hope to get pics when I get it. Cheers.

banned
    Update: Still not done yet.. had to order the tensioner.... better than stock he said so I am a happy camper.

I got a disposable camera but I get digital pictures too... on a CD.. so I'll have them up when I get the bike. I can't wait to do this 5' drop that's about 5 blocks away!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Alright.

Hey...don't knock the Giant. I think they have some of the best bikes for the money. Besides, the clicking sound was surely due to a poor build and not the bike.