SS Chains--9 or 8 speed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

SS Chains--9 or 8 speed?

I searched the forum but did not find a lot on the subject.

I am using a chainring/freewheel combination that takes normal road/mtb chains. Most of what I have seen people suggest are SRAM PC-1 or 8 speed chains. Is tehre a reason not to go to a lighter chain like a SRAM 9 speed chain or a Wipperman 9 speed chain? Is the performance/weight negligable, or is there a danger of breaking the 9 speed chains?

Thanks and forgive me if this is a dead horse by now, I am fairly new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    some ss cogs and rings do not work as well with 9 speed chains...

and ss puts a lot more force on the chain

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Find a chain you like. Some will argue that 9 spd chains are where they put the R&D so they are stronger. I run KMC Z710SL's because they are cheap, work well, and I have yet to break one.

bike dork
    The only chain I've catastrophically broken on a SS was a 9 speed Sram. I've used PC 58s (8spd) for years now with only one incident. One of the plates cracked, but it at least held together. As a plus it didn't dump me on the stem/TT in a hurry like the expoding 9 speed did. I tried a PC1 for a while but it seemed to be really stiff laterally and it dropped a bunch. On my fixed/SS road bike I use a KMC BMX chain and it's worked great.
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am using a Surly 3/32 ring up front and a White's freewheel in the back. I was thinking of using a nicer MTB (XTR) or road chain (Ultegra) to replace my current KMC 3/32 chain (just because I can get them down the street).SRAM is also an option. Any objections from you more experienced folks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Surly rings specify that they are to be used with 6,7, or 8 speed chains....NOT 9 spd, or SS chains. They say why in their sheet that comes with their stainless chain ring, which sheet I don't have....but it's also available on their website.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Find a chain you like. Some will argue that 9 spd chains are where they put the R&D so they are stronger. I run KMC Z710SL's because they are cheap, work well, and I have yet to break one.
    Not to disagree, that logic makes sense. I have never broken a chain on my SS running 8 speed SRAM PC-58, my preference, or SS chains (PC-1 sucks), but I have broken three 9 speed chains on my geared bike. Makes no sense, even if I agree with what you say.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Nat
    mtbr member
    One reason (maybe) to avoid 9 speed chains is that the width in between the plates is narrower and less forgiving if your chainline is not perfect. On the other hand, the 9-speed chains have lots of lateral motion available. If your c-ring and cog have thick teeth, then it fills the chain.

The narrower width seems to get packed up with gunk more easily than a SS chain too.

Really though, if a chain works then it works. Use what you have available. I favor KMC SS chains since they're $8, burly, and come in colors.

Combat Wombat
    I run a KMC Z610HX chain, a 3/32" SS chain that runs about $12 and looks like you could pull a truck with it. There was a local here that now lives in Utah and he swore by Sram 9 speed chains. He helped me convert my first SS and I remember him telling me that it was because there was less slop in between the chain and the ring. Even so, I originally used 8 speed chains, primarily because a good one could be found so much cheaper than a 9 speed chain. I do not know what make of chain rings he used. Regardless, for whatever reason he claimed to use 9 speed chains, anything he said was usually worth listening to. This guy was racing a rigid Surly 1 X 1 when it was still rare to see a SS and he was hard on equipment. If there was ever someone that could tell you how durable a certain part or setup was, he was definately it.

Brian

Members who have read this thread: 0