SS Chain Tensioner Shootout???- Mtbr.com
    Ride Responsibly

SS Chain Tensioner Shootout???

Can someone point me towards a recent comparison review of chain tensioners?
    Was looking for something that does not add noise. I have a Paul Melvin which works great, but it adds two pulleys and is noisy.
    Bought a single pulley Godspeed and not only is it also noisy, it is a heavy piece of junk!
    So, tensioner shootout?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm still rocking my Sette roller tensioner that was intended to be a temporary deal at $12.95 but it's workin well.

I'd like to go with a YESS tensioner that mounts on the BB but the Sette won't fail.

is buachail foighneach me
    DMR STS tensioner is rock solid, simple, cheap, set and forget. I only notice noise when backpedaling. Works great with 8spd chains.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    surly singulators rock! when you initially buy one you receive two springs , a push up type and a pull down spring which is great. After A while the most useful spring will wear out and you will have to replace it or use a zip tie.

When I lost my little C clip that holds the tensioner together surly went all out and sent me a whole tensioner arm complete with o ring and spring ,free of charge, how is that for customer service?

plus it is you can use it with 3/32 chain or you flip the "sidewalls" around and use a 1/8 chain
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

master blaster
    forward components ebb
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    forward components ebb
    not just yet, maybe when the new prototype comes out.....maybe

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    surly singulators rock! when you initially buy one you receive two springs , a push up type and a pull down spring which is great. After A while the most useful spring will wear out and you will have to replace it or use a zip tie.

When I lost my little C clip that holds the tensioner together surly went all out and sent me a whole tensioner arm complete with o ring and spring ,free of charge, how is that for customer service?

plus it is you can use it with 3/32 chain or you flip the "sidewalls" around and use a 1/8 chain

The Surly and the Godspeed look the same. I do not like the Godspeed at all. The tooth wheel "floats" on the outer bearing surface, instead of being firmly attached.
    Also there is a lot of slop between the body and the hanger bolt, like a spacer is missing.
    Is the Surly better built?
    Think I like the idea of a grooved pulley over a toothed pulley to reduce noise. or are they just as loud?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rennen Rollenlager, been using same one for going on three years. Great piece of work.

Soulcraft HolyRoller, just got one of these for my wife...like the looks and functions well....like the quickrelease butten for quick reset.

Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    Can someone point me towards a recent comparison review of chain tensioners?
    Was looking for something that does not add noise. I have a Paul Melvin which works great, but it adds two pulleys and is noisy.
    Bought a single pulley Godspeed and not only is it also noisy, it is a heavy piece of junk!
    So, tensioner shootout?
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    The Surly and the Godspeed look the same. I do not like the Godspeed at all. The tooth wheel "floats" on the outer bearing surface, instead of being firmly attached.
    Also there is a lot of slop between the body and the hanger bolt, like a spacer is missing.
    Is the Surly better built?
    Think I like the idea of a grooved pulley over a toothed pulley to reduce noise. or are they just as loud?

The bearing are not sealed like that one but it does what it is made to do, it is loud only if your aliment is off and the chain hits the sidewalls. but ive been pretty happy with it even with the fact that i have to clean the pulley once and a while.

has anyone ever tried to use a sealed pulley on a singulator?

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    I've been using the Sette tensioner for about 4 months now with a KMC-z410 chain and a Sette conversion kit. I couldn't be happier. I have yet to have a single slip in the chain or anything. Just smooth as can be.

The Sette tensioner allows you to really push on the chain hard to keep it really tight. It was extremely easy to install and is surprisingly rugged. It stays where you lock it down and doesn't give an inch even through the toughest terrain. I can't really see any reason to spend more money on a "nicer" one when this gets the job done perfectly.

I like beer.

mtbr member
    Have there been some problems?

mtbr member
    Can someone post a picture of the Sette Tensioner? Just picked one up from Pricepoint (cheap) but I didn't realize it would be so massive. Or at least it looks that way.

Just wondering if my eyes are playing tricks on me since I have not yet installed it.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have sprung for the Rennen (not so cheap) tensioner.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you want quiet, then the White Eno Eccentric hub or the Forward Components EBB are hard to beat. Neither runs anything extra on the chain.

Please avoid a strung tensioner. Why would you go back to relying on a spring to keep your chain tensioned?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just started running a Yess ETR-B on my Scandal 29er. It's great!

The ETR-B definitely works better on 68mm bb shells. I had planned on using it on an old Rockhopper frame w/ a 73mm bb shell, but since the tensioner was the only spacer between the frame and the bb cup (Shimano LX M-582 hollow-tech crankset), the granny tabs on the crank rubbed the mount for the tensioner. On the 68mm shell of my Scandal 29er, the tensioner is the inner-most spacer, followed by another 2.5mm spacer, then the bb cup, and there is no rubbing (XT hollow-tech cranks on the on-one).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FKMTB07
    Just started running a Yess ETR-B on my Scandal 29er. It's great!

The ETR-B definitely works better on 68mm bb shells. I had planned on using it on an old Rockhopper frame w/ a 73mm bb shell, but since the tensioner was the only spacer between the frame and the bb cup (Shimano LX M-582 hollow-tech crankset), the granny tabs on the crank rubbed the mount for the tensioner. On the 68mm shell of my Scandal 29er, the tensioner is the inner-most spacer, followed by another 2.5mm spacer, then the bb cup, and there is no rubbing (XT hollow-tech cranks on the on-one).
    Good to know since I just ordered one for my old M2 S-Works frame. (My FC EBB is still lost in mail wonderland.) I've already ground off the granny tabs on the XT M-760 crankset so hopefully there won't be any rubbing issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin6
    Good to know since I just ordered one for my old M2 S-Works frame. (My FC EBB is still lost in mail wonderland.) I've already ground off the granny tabs on the XT M-760 crankset so hopefully there won't be any rubbing issues.
    Other than that issue, the ETR-B is rad. You'll dig it. Taking the rear wheel off and putting back on is super easy, since there's nothing to interfere with the wheel at the dropouts. No realigning of the wheel in a horizontal dropout, checking the disc brake alignment, etc. either.

Members who have read this thread: 5