SS Chain Tension - Is this too tight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

SS Chain Tension - Is this too tight?

I just built this up for my kid, but the chain seems pretty tight (I had a haro SS 29er and the chain didn't seem this tight). Based upon the below photo does the chain seem too tight. Or will the chain stretch a little over the first few rides? I just want to make sure I am not putting undue stress on the frame due to a chain being too tight. Thanks

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    Hard to tell from a photo... looks a bit tight but if it's a new chain you're correct, it will loosen a bit after a very few miles. Undue stress on the frame is not a concern, but premature failure of bearings in the hub or bottom bracket is. If you slowly turn the crank backwards and feel a rough grinding sensation (this feeling is caused by very tight chain/tooth engagement, not bearings, I believe), then it's too tight. If it feels smooth, I wouldn't worry about it.
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

one chain loop
    ^+1

lift the bike off the ground. rotate the cranks backwards. if the wheel is rotating with the cranks where it should be ratcheting, then it is too tight.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great! thanks for the response, I can rotate the crank backwards w/o any problems so it should be about perfect when the chain stretches after the first ride (it is a basically a brand new chain)

Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0