SS Chain Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS Chain Recommendations

I have a Van Dessel CRB running 36:18 (not 1/8 BTW). I just got a new Race Face 44T that I'd like to use.

1) The only thing I need to do is replace the chain, right?

2) I saw these, are these good enough? Don't need to spend $$ on the chain, just want a solid one.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=12826
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=12825

3) How can I determine how long the chain will end up being? I've tried to decipher the gear calculators, like Sheldon's, but I have to admit, it confuses me.

Thanks.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

The PC-1 is the weekest and crudest chain SRAM makes. IMHO, using it is pure hype induced, though there are those who obviously swear by it. For almost the same money, this is a lot better chain. Again IMHO.

Is that new ring ramped and pinned? Where are you gonna ride SS with a gear that tall? Are you using a 24" wheel?
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    3) How can I determine how long the chain will end up being? I've tried to decipher the gear calculators, like Sheldon's, but I have to admit, it confuses me.
    No need to get hung up on chain length. Use just about any chain (I use cheap 8 speed SRAM's mostly) and shorten it to the appropriate length by putting it on the rings, eyeballing it, and removing the appropriate number of links. With the horizontals on your CRB, you've got room to work with.

baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Is that new ring ramped and pinned? Where are you gonna ride SS with a gear that tall? Are you using a 24" wheel?
    Yeah, not hung up on those chains, just happened to be the ones on the Perf site.

I ride the Stanford Loop in Palo Alto. I use this bike as a road trainer to get my legs ready for riding my IF Planet X on the singletrack. (And yes, it's working out great I must admit.) My problem is that part of my route takes me on flats, and w/ that gearing, I'm spinning out WAY too much. Just trying to find a good compromise.

Don't know if it's ramped/pinned. From what I can tell, it's not ramped. But I don't know what "pinned" means. BTW, my wheels are 700c.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    I have a Van Dessel CRB running 36:18 (not 1/8 BTW). I just got a new Race Face 44T that I'd like to use.

1) The only thing I need to do is replace the chain, right?

2) I saw these, are these good enough? Don't need to spend $$ on the chain, just want a solid one.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=12826
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=12825

Thanks.
    Well I had the PC-7x for a while and really liked it, but the 3 piece connector was junk. The little horseshoe piece you push onto the link to hold the plates together snapped on the first ride.

I have since just moved to buying the SRAM 8-spd chains with powerlink. Cheap and makes my world easier.

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't know if it's ramped/pinned. From what I can tell, it's not ramped. But I don't know what "pinned" means. BTW, my wheels are 700c.[/QUOTE]

Race Face chainrings come with actual pins in them for easier shifting. Single speed specific rings usually have taller teeth because there is no shifting involved. I don't know what kind of cranks you are using but you might be able to find a track ring that works, otherwise the Race Face will work just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    I don't know what kind of cranks you are using but you might be able to find a track ring that works, otherwise the Race Face will work just fine.
    I'm using old STX cranks. Here's the chainring:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Candlestick Maker
    I'm using old STX cranks. Here's the chainring:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
    It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but I'm fairly sure it is pinned and maybe ramped too. I've run w/ pins and ramps on a SS. It was a problem on one of my bikes, but ok on the other. Unless you're dropping the chain or chain noise is an issue for you, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are buying a ring, something like this would reduce the likelihood of deraillment:

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/Mercha...OMPCR5894SALSA

baker

don't try this at home
    i like the $7 KMC chains. they work well, last a long time. i just put it on the rings like said above, and take out the rest of the links.

i think there was thread a while back where folks posted their favorite chain. if you search chains, i'm sure it'll pop up.

DiscoCowboy

You need a KMC Kool Chain...

I run the 710 on my Monkey and Fixie. Sick of all the other crap breaking on me.

710 is 1/2 X 1/8
    810 is 1/2 X 3/32

mtbr member

Go with 8-speed SRAM

Here's my 2 cents:

Like others have mentioned, I always get the PC-48 or PC-58 SRAM 8-speed chains. They are cheap, I've used them on several different bikes (road, commuter, ss mtb, etc) and they have worked extremely well.

I also use a Salsa unramped chainring and a Shimano DX BMX cassette cog that is also unramped with taller teeth. With this kind of setup, you can get away with (or at least I can) less chain tension without dropping your chain. I have a friend that just built up a 1x1 and used ramped rings/cogs from his old geared bike, and he had lots of problems dropping the chain. I know that everyone has different luck with different rings/chains/cogs and different bike setups, but from my experience, I really think it is worth it to get unramped chainrings and cogs (or a freewheel). The Shimano BMX cogs are cheap, and the Salsa's are a pretty good deal, too.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroy
    I run the 710 on my Monkey and Fixie. Sick of all the other crap breaking on me.

710 is 1/2 X 1/8
    810 is 1/2 X 3/32

That chain is so Kool it can remove 4 out of 5 chainring bolts and still ride....haha.

DT

Chatham NJ
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    That chain is so Kool it can remove 4 out of 5 chainring bolts and still ride....haha.

DT
    what???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    i like the $7 KMC chains. they work well, last a long time. i just put it on the rings like said above, and take out the rest of the links.

i think there was thread a while back where folks posted their favorite chain. if you search chains, i'm sure it'll pop up.
    OK, i'll bite. Where did you find it for $7? Is that for the Kool Chain?

75% Mountain cycle

Maybe this one is in the cards for you

This is not my bike but this chain instills confidence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recs fellas. Went w/ an 8 spd SRAM and works fine. The 44T definite is a HUGE difference from the 36T...

Now here's a question. I'm doing a "hilly" ride on Saturday and not sure if my legs are ready for the 44T, which I've been riding this week. If I go back to my 36T, I would need to use my old Shimano chain. However, I opened the chain by breakin the link. So here's my questions:

1) Can I reuse the same old pin and close the Shimano chain up w/ no problems or will I have to worry about the chain breaking during my ride?
    2) If the old pin won't work, any chance I can use the power link on the Shimano chain?

Thanks.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Thanks for the recs fellas. Went w/ an 8 spd SRAM and works fine. The 44T definite is a HUGE difference from the 36T...

Now here's a question. I'm doing a "hilly" ride on Saturday and not sure if my legs are ready for the 44T, which I've been riding this week. If I go back to my 36T, I would need to use my old Shimano chain. However, I opened the chain by breakin the link. So here's my questions:

1) Can I reuse the same old pin and close the Shimano chain up w/ no problems or will I have to worry about the chain breaking during my ride?
    2) If the old pin won't work, any chance I can use the power link on the Shimano chain?

Thanks.
    Is your old chain a 9speed Shimano chain? Because you need replacement pins for those. They are special pins that are twice as long, you push them in and then break off the excess. I wouldn't trust a 9speed chain with a pin used twice, I've sheered two new ones as it is.

I think the front ring is up to you as it's a preference thing. I've done a few hilly rides on my Pista, which is setup 48x16. The hills are tough, but I'm a masher and I get up there eventually.

DT

mtbr member
    eh, screw it. I'll nut up and just mash it on my 44:18...