mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. SS Chain question

About halfway through converting my Avanti Montari to a ss, I noticed that my chain doesn't fir on the rear sprocket, which was a 16t ss sprocket that came with a conversion kit. Do I need a different sprocket to fit my chain or should I go for a different front ring and chain as that would mean less ramps and pins? On quite a bit of a budget here as well, which impedes me doing too much.

mtbr member
    What kind of chain are you trying to use? If it's an 8 or 9 speed chain, using a singlespeed chain, like a SRAM PC-1 for example, should work for you

L09erdr
    Depends.. match your chain size to your sprocket(s) tooth size. Sounds like you got a 1/8 tooth size rear replacement sprocket in the ss kit? The cheaper thing to do would be to just get a 3/32 16T sprocket. Unless you wish to go away from the ramps/pins up front. Or convert to an all 1/8 sized drivetrain which may get pricey.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    if you're using a 9 speed chain, your cog is probably running closer to 3/32", which means it wont fit. 9 speed chains are not 3/32", they're a bit narrower. 8 speed and lower are a true 3/32", so they will work fine, unless you have a 1/8" cog, which is highly unlikely.

So to sum it up, you need a 3/32" bmx chain, or a 6/7/8 speed chain. Most say that the 8 speed chains are likely the best quality.
    Also, you can get a different cog instead. One that will fit a 9 speed chain.
    As for the chainring, it is best to not use the ramped/pinned chain that came on the bike. You'd want a singlespeed specific ring, otherwise the chain is likely to jump off at the worst possible time.
    You can probably get away with the ring you're using until you have the $$ for a new one, but just be VERY careful, especially if you're using a spring tensioner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah, 9 speed chain. Although with less than $2 in my account, I was pretty stoked when I went down to the bike shop and they sorted me out with a compatible rear shimano sprocket for free. As for the front ring, it will get swapped out when I can afford it. Couldn't get the cranks off (too weak) so still got the smallest front ring on there and the front one is a bit loose as it needs some washers or something to bulk up the space where the outside ring attached, but can't get the bolts on the inside to either tighten, or loosen to add washers.

Got another question to add to this, will post up some pics if needed. The tensioner came with a part that is supposed to be attached to the derallieur hanger to hold the tensioner in place. It didn't seem to fit so I just left it out, and bolted the tensioner on nice and tight. It will probably put a bit of extra stress on it and lose tension over time, but is it going to fall to bits? The piece just didn't seem to fit and the wheel wasn't turning too well so I figure it wasn't needed...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You will need a tensioner unless you have horizontal dropouts because the chain will never always stay to the correct tension.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

6 pack

I usually take the shop guys a 6 pack when they style me. It sounds like you have a great shop near you. Those people may make less than some of us.

Members who have read this thread: 0