SS chain question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

SS chain question

I recently joined the SS crowd with a Haro Mary 29er. My first SS and 29er. Great bike but could use to lose some "body fat". The chain the previous owner put on is a KMC that looks like a motorcycle chain. I was messing around with a 9 speed chain I had lying around and it was too narrow for the stock Stylo chainring. Do I need a SS specific chain? I see people using 8/9 speed chain on single speeds so I'm confused as to my options. I have a SRAM 9speed chain on my 1x9 GT using a SS chainring and it works fine. Are there other SS chains that arent' pushing a pound? Thanks.

Birthday Collector
    Your ring and cog are most likely 1/8" instead of the 3/32" that is used by derailleur-equipped bikes. Don't fret about the extra weight - the KMC chain is a bit chunky, but on a good set of toothed discs will last a LOOOOONG time. Even a good road chain weighs in around 300 grams or so - only about 6 ounces less. When you figure you don't have the RD, shifters, cable, cassette and extra length of chain the SS works out much better. The wider tooth profile on the cog and ring, combined with the wider bushing on the 1/8" chain will distribute the wear much better than the narrower chain and the drivetrain, if kept clean and lubed, can last for years before you have to replace a cog, ring or chain.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Members who have read this thread: 0