SS chain and cog- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS chain and cog

Alright, I'm a total newb here as far as SS goes. I just bought a 2010 Rig frame and am building it up. Got some Bontrager RXL wheels - the rear is a single speed hub so i don't have to worry about spacers. I'll have XTR cranks with stock 32 tooth ring. My question is what chain and cog would you suggest given this set-up? I'm a little confused as to what's good and what's not. Been looking at the Sram PC7X chain and surly cogs - any thoughts on that. I'm the type that doesn't mind spending more on something that works well. Any good suggestions?

Out spokin'
    Sram 8-spd chain.

Surly cogs are fine. I prefer steel cogs (like Surly) even though they're heavier because they last longer than aluminum cogs.

--Sparty

P.S. There's a guy on here that makes rings and cogs. Name's "I Suck At Riding." Good stuff.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i use shimano DXR cogs (with an 1/8in chainring and 1/8in chain)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm running a Surly cog with a 1/8 KMC 710sl and a Middleburn 1/8 Uno ring.

The Surly cog doesn't seem to have any issues whatsoever running the 1/8 chain.

The KMC chain has been set and forget. I've had far less hassles with it than with any of the 3/32nd SRAM or Shimano chains I've used (and before anyone chimes in, yes, the 3/32 chain were run with a 3/32 ring, not with the 1/8 ring.) Top of the range 9 speed chains SRAM 91 and XTR/Duraace can't hold a candle to the KMC as far as I'm concerned.

local trails rider
    So, if you don't have spacers in the rear, you need to get the chainring in the right position for a good chainline.

Running 3/32 cogs and chainring with Shimano CN-7701 chains, and feel no need to try anything else.

Members who have read this thread: 0