SS Chain- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS Chain

mtbr member

SS Chain

Ive been searching this site for about an hour now, and still cant find what I need...
    What is a good chain for a powerful, clyde, SSer?
    I like to get out of the saddle and power up steep climbs and I really dont want to have to worry about busting a chain. Is a BMX chain the way to go?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've had good luck running a Sram Pc 58 or 68 8 speed chain. 6'2" and not skinny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatFender
    Ive been searching this site for about an hour now, and still cant find what I need...
    What is a good chain for a powerful, clyde, SSer?
    I like to get out of the saddle and power up steep climbs and I really dont want to have to worry about busting a chain. Is a BMX chain the way to go?
    A KMC BMX is the way to go. I've broken SRAM's and I'm definitely not a clyde.

mtbr member
    ^^You shittin me? Ive heard terrible things about those....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Wipperman Whitestar 152
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    PC-48 for Me.

SSasquatch
    Just replaced my SRAM pc-58 with a nickel pc-1 that I found on clearance at a LBS ($8.00). With the pc-58 I did 1300+ offroad miles + 3 xc races and had zero problems. The pc-1 has mixed reviews (mtbr.com) but I have done 2 xc races (1 sport, 1 expert) and about 100 miles so far with no issues.
    Oh, I am 6'5" and 220lbs and spend far more time out of saddle than on it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Shadow Conspiracy

Shadow Conspiracy Interlock. IF you can break that... it uses a single link-a half link that makes chainline/length a complete snap. only thing is you need a really heavy duty chain tool that is specific for oversized chains. be sure to use the link they include for joining the chain as well. its a little on the heavy side, but if you break chains easily, this is the one.

check them out: http://theshadowconspiracy.com

Nat
    mtbr member
    About KMC chains? I think they're great. Definitely cheap and strong.

mtbr member
    I've run Sram chains for years without any problems. I did a drivetrain replacement last year and couldn't find any in town so I slapped a KMC on there and despite it running a bit rougher than Sram, it hasn't given me any grief either. Definately cheaper than Sram.

mtbr member
    i run sram 9 speed chains on my single speed and have never broken a chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I use Wipperman Connex 808 full nickel - they're strong and don't stretch much especially with the extra strain from a SS.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I'm no Clyde but I run hard and fast and log some insane mileage.

I've used KMC and SRAM chains without any problems and both have given me long service... my only isse has been the frailty of the SRAM power links.

My solution was to simply to use the trusty chain tool, pin the chain, and leave the quick links / power links in the toolkit for quick clean fixes on the trail.

The problem free nature of the KMC chain and it's price means that I run more of this chain than I do anything else and it's the perfect chain to run in the Canadian winter due to it's low replacement price as winter riding can kill a chain pretty quickly.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Combat Wombat
    No clyde either, but a KMC Z610HX might be worth a look. Its a heavy 3/32" singlespeed chain and while I have yet to see if it is any better than a Sram PC-58, I can get them for $12.99 from Aggrobikes. Thats not some sale, but the regular price. Also all the talk about powerlinks, with a KMC SS chain, you get a good old fashioned masterlink. A whole lot easier to deal with than any powerlink.

Brian

mtbr member
    can I use a Sram pc-48 with this?

here: https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=3...ils&sku=FW1204

mtbr member
    Depends. Is it 3/32" or 1/8"? If its 3/32" then you can use it, otherwise you have to find a 1/8" chain.

mtbr member
    it says both 3/32 and 1/8:

Dicta
    Dicta 18t 3/32" BMX freewheel (FW1204)
    $7.99

Dicta freewheels for standard threaded hubs
    Item Specifications
    Color Brown
    Freewheel Teeth 18 teeth
    Freewheel Thread English
    Chain Compatibility 1/2" x 1/8",6, 7, 8
    Weight 173 g
    Intended Use BMX
    Cassette Body Type Threaded, Standard

mtbr member
    Get the 3/32" and you can use it with your chain. Be warned though, those Dicta freewheels don't last very long. If you can afford it find a Shimano or an ACS.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    A better quality freewheel still won't break the bank and will make one a much happier camper as they are also set up to come off with a freewheel tool and require much less hammering and swearing.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Funny, for all the talk I hear of freewheels not coming off, In all my years I've never had an issue removing one that I've installed. Grease the thread when you put it on and use a good quality tool held in place with the axel nut or a similar modification to take it off. Helps if you have a big enough wrench too. For the ones that have really been stuck on the bikes we'd get thru the shop I'd use the same setup but with the freewheel tool clamped into the benchvise and the outside of the the wheel as a lever. Works like a charm every time.

Who are the brain police?

Dropbuster is no joke

Dropbuster, KMC Z610HX, is no joke. Heavy, but strong.

Its really a sweet chain for $13.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member

Best method is --

Quote Originally Posted by lane
    Funny, for all the talk I hear of freewheels not coming off, In all my years I've never had an issue removing one that I've installed. Grease the thread when you put it on and use a good quality tool held in place with the axel nut or a similar modification to take it off. Helps if you have a big enough wrench too. For the ones that have really been stuck on the bikes we'd get thru the shop I'd use the same setup but with the freewheel tool clamped into the benchvise and the outside of the the wheel as a lever. Works like a charm every time.
    Impact wrench works great too. Even better than other methods because it's easy to hold a tool straight when you're not struggling to apply torque, let the impact wrench do the job.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Dropbuster, KMC Z610HX, is no joke. Heavy, but strong.

Its really a sweet chain for $13.
    i range from a svelt 210 to beefy 220 during the season and the z610hx is a very worthy chain. assembled right i have never broken one. well worth the weight (after 170 rider weight i'm not so sure it matters) and cost (at under 20$ not so sure that matters either)!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Sofa King We Todd Did
    After trying several SRAM chains (preferred over the Shimano chains and their silly pins) - PC-48, PC-58, PC-1 - and several KMC Z chains, I'm convinced that the KMC chains definitely hold up better. Given the very slight chain slack that I run, I've had the SRAM chains jump up on the teeth of the chainring or the cog, causing a loud clunk noise. I've also ripped the sideplates on the SRAM chains because of this. But the KMC chains on the same bikes/setups are completely devoid of any clunking noise or skipping action. Major bonus with these KMC chains is that they come in some tasty colors and I've got 'em in all colors: red, pink, purple, blue, and gold. I really, really need KMC to make a green one!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    SW-

Which KMC chain do you currently prefer?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I've been using what I think is called the KMC Z410 singlespeed chain. First found out about them from Nat. Picked up pretty much every color (except for black and silver) from Danscomp, where they sell for something like $7 a pop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i have just bought a pc-1, installed though have not had a chance to ride the bike yet

unlike most chains it did not come coated in that horrible sticky waxy oil so it is already one step ahead of the kmc z chains in my mind!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    XSL_Will swears by the Shadow Conspiracy Interloc V2 1/2 link chain. Sorta pricey though.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Wippermann 1G8
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    ^^ Where do you get one of those?

ali'i hua
    what's sram's replacement for the PC-7X? that'd be my vote. I've broken more chainrings than PC-7X's.

downside: sram dont make it no mo. glad I'm stockpiled

trail rat
    ^^ Where do you get one of those?
    https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...oryname=Chains
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    I am going to have a go with a Rohlof SLT99 8 Speed chain.. Anyone had luck with one of those?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

what is the difference.

between a 3/32" chain and a 1/8" chain-I am looking to get a endless bike cog, or a surly cog-can I run a kmc z410?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbniner
    between a 3/32" chain and a 1/8" chain-I am looking to get a endless bike cog, or a surly cog-can I run a kmc z410?
    The 1/8" is 1/32" wider. You're welcome!

I prefer the 1/8" chain since it at least looks stronger, has more pin protrusion (which makes it seem less likely to have links come apart under tension), is cheaper, and has more room to achieve a good chainline.

Yes, you can run the z410 on either of those cogs.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    Wippermann 1G8
    650g. chain? That thing weighs more than most people's crankarms! Just sayin'.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0