SS carbon rim width: How Wide? Here we go again.- Mtbr.com
    swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009

SS carbon rim width: How Wide? Here we go again.

Forgive me if this is tired topic, but I have to ask. I am in the middle of a new SS build (alum One Nine frame) and am considering the Nox Teocalli (26mm internal wide) and the Nox Farlow (29 mm internal). The primary purpose of the wheel set is to serve my SS. The qualities most important for the SS will be weight and responsiveness. Some say 26mm internal width is the "sweet spot" in both weight and 2.4 tire performance with higher air volume and low pressures. What is the opinion of those who are riding 26-29mm wide rims. Obvious concerns:

1. Fit: will a Farlow 35mm (external) wide rim with "say a 2.4 tire" fit in the rear triangle of the latest version One 9 Niner alum?

2. Fun Factor: Will the Farlow offer quick turning in tight Single track, or will it feel sluggish compared to the "slightly narrower" rim? Will the added width eliminate the other limitations?

3. I will want to swap the wheel set to a my off road packing bike, the Fargo, think Kokopelli trail. This is the least of my concerns as I know both wheel sets will do fine.

4. And lastly, perhaps the difference in 26 and 29 is a mute point, where little or no differences can be felt.
    Last edited by fat-but-slow; 12-25-2015 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Not sure how it compares to aluminum, but i got tire rub on my carbon one 9 with a 2.35 ikon on a 30mm internal width rim.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Sorry to hear that, as that was my "target rear tire and target rim width". I would bet that the carbon one 9 has the exact same tire clearance as the Alum One 9. So I am thinking the Teocalli with 26 mm internal would be the best choice. Thanks, this is the exact info I need prior to sending many $$s off to a wheel set. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    Forgive me if this is tired topic, but I have to ask. I am in the middle of a new SS build (alum One Nine frame) and am considering the Nox Teocalli (26mm internal wide) and the Nox Farlow (29 mm internal). The primary purpose of the wheel set is to serve my SS. The qualities most important for the SS will be weight and responsiveness. Some say 26mm internal width is the "sweet spot" in both weight and 2.4 tire performance with higher air volume and low pressures. What is the opinion of those who are riding 26-29mm wide rims. Obvious concerns:

1. Fit: will a Farlow 35mm (external) wide rim with "say a 2.4 tire" fit in the rear triangle of the latest version One 9 Niner alum?

2. Fun Factor: Will the Farlow offer quick turning in tight Single track, or will it feel sluggish compared to the "slightly narrower" rim? Will the added width eliminate the other limitations?

3. I will want to swap the wheel set to a my off road packing bike, the Fargo, think Kokopelli trail. This is the least of my concerns as I know both wheel sets will do fine.

4. And lastly, perhaps the difference in 26 and 29 is a mute point, where little or no differences can be felt.
    Hmmmm....hookless bead Light Bicycle rims that are the 35mm external/30mm internal rim width with a Racing Ralph 2.35 fit fine in the rear of my old aluminum Niner JET 9. Casing measurement with the Ralph on such a wide rim measures out at 61mm. Fits fine in the rear of my Surly Karate Monkey as well.

I would imagine that you would drop a mm or two in casing width with the 26mm internal rim, and the 29mm internal would be very similar to the 30mm I have.

Depends on which 2.4 tire you want to run as not every 2.4 tire is a true 2.4 tire at psi's you will run.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Bruce Brown- lots of variables, I agree. You would think the Jet 9 would have = or more tire clearance than the One 9 alum. Thank you for the Info. Perhaps the Nox Farlow at 29mm inner can fit in the One 9 frame with a 2.4 ish rear tire. ??
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    Bruce Brown- lots of variables, I agree. You would think the Jet 9 would have = or more tire clearance than the One 9 alum. Thank you for the Info. Perhaps the Nox Farlow at 29mm inner can fit in the One 9 frame with a 2.4 ish rear tire. ??
    What tire are you planning on running in the rear? I've got Ardent 2.4's, Ralph 2.35's, Nobby Nic 2.35's, Ikon 2.35's...which all fit.

But I don't know your Aluminum One Nine specs. The One Nine RDO carbon frame is all that is listed at the Niner site these days and it states "can fit up to a 2.35 tire (tire size varies by brand, some tires may not fit)".

Have you asked on the Niner board? Might be some with actual aluminum One Nine experience who could answer your rear clearance question.

BB

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Great idea. I will pose this question on the Niner board. I plan to run Ikon 2.35 on the rear, Ardent 2.4 up front. The One 9 alum. is a discontinued frame so no info on Niner site. I found a new one for half price! Perhaps investing in carbon RDO bar-stem-post-fat carbon wheels will make for a fast stiff, priced right fun bike. We will see. Thanks again for the help.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]