SS build: Opinions on a solid custom wheelset please!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS build: Opinions on a solid custom wheelset please!

During my last build, I assembled my own wheelset and have been very pleased so far. This fall/winter I will be building up an Inbred EBB frame and am wondering if I should use close to the same wheel recipe, or consider other options. Here is what I used:

Velocity DeepV rims
    Hope Disc XC hubs
    DT Swiss 14 ga. spokes
    DT Swiss brass nipples
    3x lacing

My plan is to use Surly Disc hubs (black) on black rims, but everything else is optional. Straight 14 ga. would be easy, but am wondering if I should go with 14/15 ga. In the interest of maintaining the clean, simple SS look (fork is disc specific), I was also wondering if there are any black (matte or glossy), disc-specific XC rims that could be recommended for SSing? Has anyone seen or ridden any Velocity VCX Disc rims? They are on the Velocity website but don't see them elsewhere.

I realize this will ultimately come down to my own choices, but I am mostly looking for suggestions/input of what has worked well OR what has not worked. If you were to build your own custom SS wheelset on Surly hubs, what would it be?

Thanks!

giddy up!
    Discs=mavic 317(or whatever they call their disc specific xc rim nowadays)

rim brakes=mavic 517(or whatever they call......)

As for spokes, I'd say it depends on your weight and riding style, but DB really aren't that great of a weight savings when it comes down to it.

If you really want to get crazy with the buile I would use sapim x-rays. Super light, very strong, and very nice looking.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

717's

My 717's laced 3x with 14/15's and Paul hubs have been bullet proof(I weigh 200). Of course MeanTood built them, so its to be expected. My only issue with 317/717's is they fill up with water if your in a creek for a long time. It takes pulling a tire/tube off and leaving them drain to get all the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    During my last build, I assembled my own wheelset and have been very pleased so far. This fall/winter I will be building up an Inbred EBB frame and am wondering if I should use close to the same wheel recipe, or consider other options. Here is what I used:

Velocity DeepV rims
    Hope Disc XC hubs
    DT Swiss 14 ga. spokes
    DT Swiss brass nipples
    3x lacing

My plan is to use Surly Disc hubs (black) on black rims, but everything else is optional. Straight 14 ga. would be easy, but am wondering if I should go with 14/15 ga. In the interest of maintaining the clean, simple SS look (fork is disc specific), I was also wondering if there are any black (matte or glossy), disc-specific XC rims that could be recommended for SSing? Has anyone seen or ridden any Velocity VCX Disc rims? They are on the Velocity website but don't see them elsewhere.

I realize this will ultimately come down to my own choices, but I am mostly looking for suggestions/input of what has worked well OR what has not worked. If you were to build your own custom SS wheelset on Surly hubs, what would it be?

Thanks!

Penis Goat!
    I'd suggest the Sun DS-1 XC rim. It has a nice smooth profile, it's matte-ish black, disc-only, light, and best of all, inexpensive. I just bought a set laced to Deore disc hubs, and really like the look of them.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by zanq

Thanks!
    I went with the DT Swiss XR4.1D rims and they have held up great! They are disc specific and all black, but in a crunch they could be used with v-brakes. Not positive, but I think I got 14/15 on the spokes. They have lasted even through the big drops where I land funky and sideways, enough to blow out the tire and haven't needed trueing.

DT

mtbr member

my $0.02...

I built up Kings laced with 14/15's 3x on WTB Speed Discs last year for my FS gearie... They've been great other than the normal oddities of the Kings (break in time, distinct free wheel noise, and required propriotary tools to tighten things up). They are true to dae, but are showing signs of needing to be re-tensioned... a "To-Do" for my winter clean up routine.

I too just built up an On-One EBB, AND have in the works to build up the wheels for it. Unfortunately the hubs I wanted are on back order... So, my Brother, Here's what I'm going to build:

True Precision Stealth Poacher SS Disc Hubs
    DT Revolution Spokes
    Mavic Xm819 UST "DIY" rims <-- These require a special spoke tool, so buyer beware!

I'm a little concerned as well with the Revolutions (I'm 6'1" 200lbs unloaded) so I have potential to be rough on stuff. BUT, I believe and have had luck to date with my King set, that if you tension properly (follow Sheldon Brown's Wheel Routine like a Bible/Torah/Koran) and pay attention to them for maintenance... You won't have a problem. Perhaps if your a true Clydesdale, thinking 225+ you might have issues... but you are on a SS and it should be making you a better rider, picking smoother lines and pedaling smoother... all of which are good for your wheels!

There you go, my $0.02 worth!
    T.

¡Manos arriba!

My recipe

hand built, while listening to Blizzard of OZ and drinking a triple fermented Belgian Ale.

Surly New Disc hubs
    DT Swiss Alpine-III spokes, 3x, brass nipples
    Most anything made by Sun-Ringle

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses! This gives me a little more foder to chew on before getting started.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sengert
    I built up Kings laced with 14/15's 3x on WTB Speed Discs last year for my FS gearie... They've been great other than the normal oddities of the Kings (break in time, distinct free wheel noise, and required propriotary tools to tighten things up). They are true to dae, but are showing signs of needing to be re-tensioned... a "To-Do" for my winter clean up routine.

I too just built up an On-One EBB, AND have in the works to build up the wheels for it. Unfortunately the hubs I wanted are on back order... So, my Brother, Here's what I'm going to build:

True Precision Stealth Poacher SS Disc Hubs
    DT Revolution Spokes
    Mavic Xm819 UST "DIY" rims <-- These require a special spoke tool, so buyer beware!

I'm a little concerned as well with the Revolutions (I'm 6'1" 200lbs unloaded) so I have potential to be rough on stuff. BUT, I believe and have had luck to date with my King set, that if you tension properly (follow Sheldon Brown's Wheel Routine like a Bible/Torah/Koran) and pay attention to them for maintenance... You won't have a problem. Perhaps if your a true Clydesdale, thinking 225+ you might have issues... but you are on a SS and it should be making you a better rider, picking smoother lines and pedaling smoother... all of which are good for your wheels!

There you go, my $0.02 worth!
    T.
    Those Poacher hubs look nice but they are a bit pricey! Too bad I didn't know about this company a couple weeks ago. I was in the city they are located (Goleta, CA) 2 weeks ago!

a legend in his own mind

Yes they are,...

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    I went with the DT Swiss XR4.1D rims and they have held up great! They are disc specific and all black, but in a crunch they could be used with v-brakes. Not positive, but I think I got 14/15 on the spokes. They have lasted even through the big drops where I land funky and sideways, enough to blow out the tire and haven't needed trueing.

DT
    DT Competitions double butted 14/15.

What up DT!
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."