SS Build - Need opinions on which fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SS Build - Need opinions on which fork

Built up a Azonic steelhead this past fall and had a Bomber fork on it but want to go rigid. I am running 24" tires therefore I need a 24" rigid with front brake mounts. It's obviously apparent that finding a 24" with brake mounts is not as easy as I originally had thought.

So...looking for a rigid that is cheap and will do the job...I don't need anything fancy.

Azonic steelhead frame (used $30 bucks )
    Kona Cro-mo cranks
    Hellraiser fat bars
    Some no name 24" rims
    Primos
    Transition Saddle

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    come on...need som "IMO"s

Bike Dork
    You are going to have a hard time finding a 24" specific fork that has the right axle to crown length. SInce the fork will be shorter it is going to make the Head tube angle really steep and twitchy. Your bottom bracket will also be lower which will make the pedals hit things easier if you use this as a trail bike. It will be less of a headache to buy a rigid disc fork and a disc compatible 24" wheel or lace up a new hub to your old rim. Or run a 26" up front. 26/24 doesn't feel too bad. I had an On-One GImp set up that way that I rode as a trail/park bike. Looks like your bike is set up for more street/dirtjump. Do you really need a front brake?

AZ
    banned
    Run a 26" fork with the correct axle to crown length , have the post mounts moved to work with a 24" wheel .

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you are looking for a 24" fork with V-brake bosses, take a look at the Nozzle from Charge Bikes in the UK. It has got both 24" and 26" brake bosses, giving you the option to run both.

Your frame is clearly designed to work with both 26" and 24" wheels, so there's no reason why a 24" front wheel would ruin the handling.

http://www.chargebikes.com/products/...etail.php?id=4

Bike Dork
    Nice find Orkje, I thought Charge only made fixed gear stuff. Learned something new today.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    you know that bike DOES work with 26ers front and back right?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    you know that bike DOES work with 26ers front and back right?

Yes of course, but since I have a pair of 24" rims I would like to run them both...prob end up buying a 26 rigid and welding on some bosses to fit the 24er

Members who have read this thread: 0