SS build input and color scheme-- Mtbr.com
    ~~~~~~~

SS build input and color scheme-

I just put a deposit down with Tony Pereira of Pereira Cycles to build me a single speed. I'm thinking about having it painted pearl white then building it with Pink King headset, hubs, and other pink stuff (like grips, spoke nipples, saddle, pedals). I'm also thinking i will be trying to go chrome with the other parts like cranks, stem and such. This inspiration comes from a GT performer I had when i was like 7. I don't think Skyway still makes mag wheels that would work- (definitely not 29er) or i would put those on too. anyway, i'm wondering:

1) does anyone have a bike or pictures of a bike with this color scheme

2) any manufacturer recommendations for pink or chrome stuff- maybe other hub choices??

3) experience with getting parts anodized or saddles reovered with specialty fabric.

This is pretty much the frame color i'm thinking about....

mtbr member

Pink?

Are you gonna ride it in the "parade". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Maybe Jeremy can give you some insight on the whole color coordination thing. I'm sure you guys could get together and figure something out.

Sorry, man I couldn't help myself.

K

For what its worth, my next bike will probably be baby blue with pink accents.

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by 7HVN
    Are you gonna ride it in the "parade". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Maybe Jeremy can give you some insight on the whole color coordination thing. I'm sure you guys could get together and figure something out.

Sorry, man I couldn't help myself.

K

For what its worth, my next bike will probably be baby blue with pink accents.
    I was more thinking the circus.....

man i hate you and your smart mouth. why don't you get sick again and leave me alone.

so, what do you think about single speed hubs? man, you just opened up a can of worms buddy. i'm gonna pick your brain on this single speed thing. cranks? what's that sweet rear cog you have?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think black tires would look pretty good on that frame.

And maybe a silver chain.

~~~~~~~
    go to your night ride.......on your full suspension geared bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Dirt,

I can help you with all this stuff...except maybe your pink obsession...though I do have a line on getting parts anodized. Wouldn't the GT have had red stuff?

I think the King stuff is the best. I have two sets of King singlespeed wheels and King road wheels. I've sold tons of their stuff too. Rock solid, plus you get that cool buzz. If you're gonna do it right, King won't do you wrong.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I was in Portland last weekend. Do you know how tempted I was to look you up? That cruiser of yours is a home run.

~~~~~~~
    You know, I don't think it was red, but maybe the pink was on my brother's dyno. the bike i really remember best was a chrome and blue schwinn. hey, do you have any connections for chrome- what's your opinion on that? i know, lots of weight added. listen, i'm not totally obsessed with aesthetics (just mostly). i do also care (ALOT) about how this bike rides. i'm definitely going to race it (though it looks like not this season).

i've ridden LOTS of 29er full suspensions lately (http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/29er/), but I have only been on three single speed 29ers in the last 6 months. Geometry wise, I liked the Ventana the most of the full suspension bikes. I was also pretty pleased with a Niner SIR 9 SS (both medium).

What is your opinion on head tube angle for a suspension corrected frame?

Just looking at that white bike (Tommy Gun) on your site, I know I would like riding it. What is the paint/finish on Fast Freddy?

oh, and thanks.

mtbr member

Build Specs.

Alright Slick, this is how she should go:

Frame: Pearl White (aka Man-milk) with silver panels

Headset: Pink King

Wheels: Pink King Hubs w/ King cog or Boone Ti cog / Silver Spokes / pink nipples / silver rims The nipples would probably have to be hand picked through a bunch of red ones to find the lightest colored ones to match the headset and hubs. But the new batch of Petty and Strong stuff from King is a darker watermelon color so it might be doable.

Stem And Post: Silver Thomson cuz your burly and girly

Bar: H-bar, Surly Torsion, or Mary bar- stripped and polished

Cranks: Silver Middleburn's with Phil Wood BB or XT external's polished bright silver

Saddle: Whatever fits between your butt cheeks BUT it has to be white or pink

Accessories: pink tassels to match your Stawberry Shortcake stickers

Your Welcome

Kevin

You can give me my consultation fee at the next ride.

~~~~~~~

Great ideas

Kevin,

thanks so much. i think that was where i was going, but you've put them on "paper" and made them a reality. when is our next ride anyway? i wonder when francis is gonna get tired of letting me demo bikes? probably not until i'm done writing reveiws. that reminds me- i want to update the review on the intense and finish the Astrix reveiw. I'm posting my Trance for sale next week i think its the only way i can really afford this bike and not get kicked out of the house..... plus at 6.9% interest i need to pay for all of my student loans. man, i hope my friends have enough bikes for me to borrow until i get this thing built. otherwise, i may need to shave my legs and ride only the road bike this summer. any other recommendations- about geometry or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by 7HVN

You can give me my consultation fee at the next ride.

Do you take beer yet, or is it still just man milk?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So the only bike you're going to own will be a single speed? Sell something else off...maybe the lemond? Build spare wheels and commute on the peg?

Oh, yeah...my real advice - I'm in agreement with Kevin, except for the bar. I don't know - that much sweep just doesn't feel right to me. I'd try one of the bars that francis uses if you don't want rise, or one of the bars that I use if you do.

Also...crankset. I'm tempted by one of the new crank bros set up single speed...

http://www.crankbrothers.com/cobalt_sl.php

Either that, or follow my lead with road cranks, and run an octalink DA track crank with a XTR bottom bracket

~~~~~~~
    i don't think the CB cranks come in any thing but a SIS drive, and i'm pretty set on putting a Phil Wood BB on there. i have some pretty sweet old school dura ace cranks that i could polish up and throw on?? not sure that's what i want to do either.

i can't sell the lemond- its not worth anything.

Let's ride
    Raceface makes chrome stems.

That SIR9 you rode is a Small. 23.1 ETT.

Nice color choice with the pearl white.

On cranks, the WI cranks are the obvious choice if you want to stay phil bb. I'd spring for a Boone Ti 1/8" CR with that crank, so you can set and forget. The mileage you're going to put on this, you'd go through aluminum CRs very quickly.
    Boone Ti 1/8" rear cog.

If you go rigid fork, stay with the carbon bars, or go Ti. You'll get hammered otherwise. See if the new Salsa Race Delgado rims come in chrome.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Middleburn cranks w/ a Boone Ti CR are the cat's meow. Stiff as hell and sexy curves.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

@adelorenzo
    Go for chrome Profile BMX cranks with a pink chainwheel.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Pink spoke nipples are available on ebay
    Terry makes a couple of different pink saddles.
    Velocity makes bottle cages.

I just put together a gray and pink roadie for the mrs.

@adelorenzo
    Actually, I've just been doing a pink+blue build for my wife. I asked her what she wanted and her only advice was "pink!" so I got a blue Orange frame off eBay and went at it. This is what is looks like so far:

In terms of pink, I have cable housing, bashguard, 50/50 pedals (blue+pink), and little pink piggies on the valve caps. I also have pink Oury grips and Terry saddle on order. If you want to see more photos, read about it on my blog.

You could go with silver/pink combo on the 50/50 pedals, or otherwise Crank Bros makes a pink clipless. Candy, I think.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Dirt, this is my speciality! Go to my website (see my signature).

But don't stop with the frame and component paint / color scheme, I just re-covered an old seat I had lay'n around with camo fabric.
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

Sweep the leg!
    I dig the Pink. Er, um, I mean on my bike I dig pink parts.

So far I just have the rear King hub

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=274679

But I'll accumulate more as funds allow for a complete second SS build.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Middleburn cranks w/ a Boone Ti CR are the cat's meow. Stiff as hell and sexy curves.

um, ggggagggg... bommmmm goo goo...

I am almost speechless.... Two words: Very nice
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You should have. I spend most of my time alone and am happy to have visitors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

... and if we just ... oh yesssss pink-dont get me started

ok;

white diety bars
    'the grills' powdered white(is that possible?)
    white diety cranks
    camo combat rims
    pink twin rails
    whyte forks (in white)
    pink frame
    pink oury grips

more stuff...

Members who have read this thread: 0