SS build from ground up...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

SS build from ground up...

Let me start by saying that I don't know Anything about building bikes, yet.

I have an Alpinstars Al-Mega with front shock that is completely shot, and many of the components are old and decrepit (inherited from brother). I'm in the process of purchasing either a GF Marlin Disc or Cannondale F5 (first bike purchase to get into the sport), but would also like to learn the anatomy of bikes by converting the A-star into a Single Speed.

I started by trying to research a fork that would fit my 1-1/4" headtube, and found two things... (1) not many options and (2) I don't know much about the relationship between headtube & fork, etc. Please offer some advise on how to accomplish this, and roughly what I can expect to pay. (Is it possible and/or smart to put a 29" rigid fork & wheel on this project?)

Also, it looks like I just need to get some spacers for the rear hub, plus a chain tensioner. Is it as simple as that, or am I missing something? Actually, since the A-star has an elevated chain stay, will that cause any problems?

Thanks so much for your advise. I just signed up as a member today, and am very excited to be apart of this group.

one chain loop
    welcome to SS. a picture of your bike will help us asses what you need.

edited:
    you probably need a reducer to use a 1 1/8" steerer fork. I heard that it can accommodate 4" travel fork so i guess it will be a safe 69er.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

is buachail foighneach me
    the chainstays wont pose a problem at all. in fact, you're one of the few people who could run a belt drive system without buying a new frame.

i think you'll be able to find a reducer or a headset made to convert 1 1/4 to 1 1/8. or the people on the vintage forum might have an old 1 1/4 fork laying around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    hmmm didn't even think of a belt drive
    Last edited by Knobby32; 02-10-2008 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    http://gallery.mac.com/rquigley32/100018

This link isn't working at the moment, however I'll keep it up in hopes that it will magically work. I'm not able to upload a picture right now since the filesize of the photo I just took of my bike is too big, and I don't have software to make it smaller. I'll keep working on getting a pic up though
    Last edited by Knobby32; 02-10-2008 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Do I even need a tensioner, or could I get away with just some spacers and a cog? For the cog, I was thinking probably an 18"... thoughts?

Members who have read this thread: 0