SS Build Advice!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

SS Build Advice!!!

I got the itch to build a SS. But need a little advice... 26” or 29” Wheels? Plus wondering what Gears would be best…? Also looking for a Frame kind of around the $500 or less Price range. (Just found a Breezer Thunder One 29r Frame for $249) Let me know what you guys think….

mtbr member
    Soma Juice or B-Side are both excellent frames... Wheel size is kind of subjective. What type of riding do you do most?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I live in North GA so a lot of single track trail riding. A fast flowing track with great flats and some pretty tough climbs. And some decent down hills...

Relentless forward motion
    29'r for sure (no brainer vs. 26). 32x20 gearing but should also own 18 and 22. Plenty of climbing in NGa. Go Dawgs
    "Racing cyclocross exposes the truth, it's the biggest reason many people do not race it"

mtbr member
    Rigid with a Krampus fork and Knard on the front.
    BB7s
    Used XT crank
    Your personal choice of bars/grips/saddle/post/pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the info so far guys.... I guess the biggest part for me right now is finding a good frame in my price range ($500 or less). Any ideas on what frames to buy? or if any frames are on sale that you may have spotted out there! Thanks

WillWorkForTrail
    Someone already mentioned Soma frames. The Juice is the 29er frame. Sliders, steel, they ride great. I've run mine rigid and with a squishy fork. For the money, I don't think you can beat it. And, you should be able to find it right at the $500 mark.

mtbr member
    You could probably find a used complete ss in that price range.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Re frames

On-one inbred 29er ss steel ~300 shipped
    You can sometimes find a niner alloy frame in your price range
    Love that soma tho

Cranks

I'm assuming you want 175mm crank arms, I would if my knees could take it. If so, the gearing advice is spot on. Plenty of nice cranksets out there, market is flooded with raceface sets and jenson usually has good prices on xt sets.

Toothy bits

I've found myself gravitating toward steel myself, if I could do it all over would probably have started with surly items front and rear.

Brakes

BB7's are inexpensive and user-serviceable but kinda fiddly and the initial setup is a delicate matter. Get the best cable you can find and get decent levers (speed dial). Before you commit, I would check ebay for shimano hydro take-offs. You might still go with BB7's but at least look.

Wheels

Really think about tires and wheels, especially if you go rigid. This is really where the action is these days. Choice of rear wheel/tire combo could affect frame choice a bit, depending on how fat you want to go. Definitely think about rim width before you go out and grab some wheels off ebay. More you spend on suspension, the less you have to spend on wheels and tires. Opposite is also true, imo.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by strat819 View Post
    29'r for sure (no brainer vs. 26
    I very much enjoy my 26ers ... but the trails I ride are not particularly fast and flowing. + my body geometry agrees with the typically lower front end that kiddie wheels allow.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

western NC
    As others have mentioned, Soma frames are tough to beat for the money. I love my B side like a fat kid loves cake, best money I've ever spent on a bike, hands down. What part of N GA are you in? Reason I ask is, if you'd like to demo one, we could meet at Jackrabbit which isn't far from Hiawassee GA and I'll let you ride it and see for yourself.

mtbr member
    Depending on what size you need, you may be able to find a NEW Niner One9 hydroformed aluminum from an online retailer. I bought my Small from Cambria Bike for $499 about 7 months ago. I think they still have smalls, large, and XL in stock.

mtbr member
    vassagocycles - Compare All Frames

The Jabberwocky 29er steel frames new are about $450.

banned
    Sep 2008
    blah blah blah, find a leftover kona unit ss on sale and call it macaroni. out of the box it's perfect. 32-18 is perfect. get strong and rip it everywhere. extra cogs is admitting defeat. get a geared bike if that's the case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunahoo41 View Post
    I got the itch to build a SS. But need a little advice... 26” or 29” Wheels? Plus wondering what Gears would be best…? Also looking for a Frame kind of around the $500 or less Price range. (Just found a Breezer Thunder One 29r Frame for $249) Let me know what you guys think….
    A buddy of mine just built up one of those breeze thunder ones and loves it. He's got 180 stylo cranks a Chinese carbon fork 3.0 knard tire on the front. I picked up a chromag rootdown and built it as a all mountain ss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just picked up a Breezer Thunder One frame as well. Don't have all the parts yet and cannot decide between rigid or suspension fork with a remote lock so between that and being broke now (spent way too much money on bikes this year) my build has stalled temporarily.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No mention of Surly yet? 1x1 and Instigator 2.0 are both great options. If more XC then 1x1, if more shred then Instigator. Both work well w/ 650b wheels and can take the so-called 26+ which may be neat in some applications. Other nice SS frames this season are the Santa Cruz Chameleon (650b) and Niner ROS 9 and SIR 9 (29ers). Chromags and other small frame companies are sex if you can get one. I'm riding the Instigator on 650b.

If you're interested in truly big wheels, the Trek Stache is an interesting option in that it has elevated chainstays that would allow for a belt-drive system. With as much tire as 29+ offers, rigid could be ok. That last statement may be slightly loaded as I believe in front suspension to be a major performance improvement in most mountain situations. I invest in high end forks on my front suspension rides. Front end handling is so important in maintaining/gaining speed in turns and holding a line in chunder. What is lost in climbing efficiency (not much) is more than returned on the down.

Wheels are the best place to invest in quality and lightness but terrain and traction considerations should come before weight. Tire selection is critical. Consider tires that are sensible for the terrain but also don't forget rolling resistance and sidewall strength. Some areas are great with lighter tires and others demand strong. I'm currently running a Schwalbe Rock Razor with a heavy casing out back and a lighter sidewall Magic Mary up front. This combo suits my current needs nicely, but again may not be optimal in other conditions.

On a conceptual level, a singlespeed build should be stiff and strong where it matters (cranks, bars, stem, wheels) and light where you can get away with it for your riding style. All the other stuff (saddle, brakes, grips, headset, etc) are all ok whether cheap or expensive. Items with high cost to weight saving ratios should be scrutinized as often cheaper items will perform the task at negligible weight gains.

President of the Internet
    The big plus with the Soma frames is that you can buy 142 x 12 dropouts from Paragon Machine Works that fit the sliders. I had a hard time finding a decent SS frame that was compatible with a 142 x 12 axle. The extra stiffness is great!

SS Build Advice!!!-ss.jpg

Not sure if you can see the 142 x 12 sliders in this pic.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Paid $500 for my Kona Big Unit. So far it seems to be a fantastic frame.

Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1