SS at Brown County State Park??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SS at Brown County State Park??

Hey all! This may be better in the regional forum, I don't know, so feel free to move it of necessary.

I will be going with a group to BCSP in August and I'm simply wondering if it is suitable for a rigid SS? Some YouTube video are making me question if it is, so if you have experience with this, please chime in!

mtbr member

Great Single Speed Country

Brown County, in my opinion, is perfect SS country. What gears are you running? I think I was running 32/18 or possibly 16 when I was riding out there with a rigid setup and 2.4in front tire. It's a bit rocky and rooty in areas, but if you can drop the pressure in the front a little, it's nothing you can't handle. I have since gone squishy up front, but really loved riding rigid in Indiana. I just moved out to the Winter Park area, otherwise I'd meetup for a ride. It is a bit hilly, but you can easily get some nice miles in on a SS out there. Have a blast!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Crazy memories of B-ton and surrounding parks. Old school, back in 92'-93' ish on a Diamond Back Response Comp. My first MTB ride ever was at Wapehani, my first race ever was there too. Must have done 15 laps around that 1 mile loop, lol. Always wanted to see a good trail near Gnaw Bone, just cause I loved the name.

Whoops, sorry just reminiscing.

That whole region of the country begs for rigid and I am sure SS too. Nice, flowy single track or fire roads with just a few roots and rocks to keep you honest.
    Last edited by OdinOrion; 07-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    Stuffing our faces at an ever smaller table.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I currently run a 32/19 on a Rockhopper SL SS. Gearing would've been my next question. I can do everything that I've encountered up here in Ft. Wayne (or surrounding) on that gearing, but I know that it's different down there. Looking forward to the ride and a bit anxious at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You will be fine. I ridden Brown County including the 80 miler at the Breakdown on my single 29er. My first time there I rode rigid but my back does not like the rigid anymore. Your gearing is fine too. I've ridden 34, 20 there and had no issues.

I'm registered for the 80 miler again this year for the Breakdown. You should go its a total blast.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    SS is where "It's" at! I rode there in June with a 35/19 and had zero issues with anything. When I return, I will most likely run a 35/18 or a 34/17. The trails are very fast and flowing so it's easy to maintain speed, the climbs are not very steep also (I think Hesitation point is around 3% - 4% average grade).

Rip it Up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As you've read by now...SS no problem in BC. Quite a few rigid/SS only riders out there. My gearing is 34/20 on the 29in, 34/17 on the 26in.

Not smart enough to shift
    I'll chime in as well. First, you'll love BCSP, it is an amazing trail network.

I single speed out there, but with a squishy fork. I have ridden it rigid, but I prefer to play and jump, so I like the forgiveness of the squish. I've done the breakdown on my SS as well. I ran 32-20 last year as I hadn't had enough time on the SS and did the 65 miler with my wife. I now would run 32-17 or 18.

We should have a MTBR meetup at the Breakdown this year. It would be great to meet some fellow riders down this way.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyontwo View Post
    I'll chime in as well. First, you'll love BCSP, it is an amazing trail network.

I single speed out there, but with a squishy fork. I have ridden it rigid, but I prefer to play and jump, so I like the forgiveness of the squish. I've done the breakdown on my SS as well. I ran 32-20 last year as I hadn't had enough time on the SS and did the 65 miler with my wife. I now would run 32-17 or 18.

We should have a MTBR meetup at the Breakdown this year. It would be great to meet some fellow riders down this way.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Hey Andy!
    When might you do this ride? If I'm visiting the parents in Champaign I'll come over and ride. Last time we rode together was a STR Sycamore newbie ride. Hope all is well, take care!