SS break in- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS break in

mtbr member

SS break in

Quick Question. I took my SS out today, 2nd ride since I put it together and its great ride. Anyway, after going through a few mud holes the chain skipped twice. Anyway, is this normal? I pushed it hard the other day and it never skipped; should I try to remove more links from the chain (perhaps the chain stretched in 30mi?).

WWYD?
    Sounds like not enough chain tension too me. I wouldn't remove links, but check you tugnuts or EBB to see if they have slipped. The chain shouldn't look like its sagging and should have about an inch of play.

mtbr member
    I should have added more information. This is a geared frame with a tensioner...

WWYD?
    I've run an SS with geared hub and tensioner combo. I had the chain skip too, it was caused by not enough chain wrapping around the rear cog. The tensioner wasn't allowing enough of the links to wrap around the cog. So I did take a few links out to shorten the chain and bring the tensioner more horizontal. In my experience, you need to have at least 33% of the rear cog teeth grabbing the chain.

one chain loop
    check the chainline.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    check the chainline.
    Another good idea...

dying hurts.
    yep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is it a sprung or a solid tensioner?
    Is the tensioner pulling the chain down, or pushing it up?
    Is the cog, chain, and chain ring all new?

Pwning Trails
    On a side note, I've just converted my bike to a ss, and on it's 2nd voyage, 1st with a chain tug, the chain seemed to have tightened some how and seems to bind up a bit. Not sure how it happened, would have expected it to maybe stretch but not tighten ... looks like i'll have to reduce the tension a bit in the chain. Any thoughts?

Dinner for wolves
    If the chain is skipping under force, I'd wager it is a problem with too few teeth being engaged. When your chainline is off, you tend to just dump the chain off the cog altogether. Try using the tensioner to push the chain up rather than down as Johnny B mentioned. A question: were the chainring, rear cog, and chain brand new when you installed them? Worn cogs can cause skipping, especially if they were sourced from old cassettes and not singlespeed specific designs. Likewise, stretched chains on new cogs may cause skippage.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    It is a spring based tensioner, I'll try to figure out how to change the spring around on tensioner.

I will also take a look at the chain line - something to do tomorrow while we get 3" of rain...

I'll follow up with what I figure out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    check the chainline.
    Have you toleranced your system? I'm off by 6.5mm and I want to know how worked up I should get about it...

Thanks,
    Anthony

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    Have you toleranced your system? I'm off by 6.5mm and I want to know how worked up I should get about it...

Thanks,
    Anthony
    That seems a lot and is probably what is causing the chain to skip or at least be noisy. The chain should be close to silent and smooth when you turn the crank on the bike stand.

I think being 6+ mm off the chain line it would be apparent with a visual inspection by looking from behind the rear wheel along the rear cog, chain and chainring. These three pieces should line up straight and parallel with the centerline of the frame and wheels. When you get close to a perfect chainline, the teeth of the cog and chainring should sit evenly with the chain as you turn the crank. If its off too much, the teeth of the cog will rub on the side of the chain and indicate which side the chainline is off from.

mtbr member
    Okay, a little tinkering and I'm now within 1.5mm and it is much quieter - I don't think I have the parts to get it any more in line...

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    Okay, a little tinkering and I'm now within 1.5mm and it is much quieter - I don't think I have the parts to get it any more in line...
    I've even put a spacer between the bottom bracket and the frame to squeak a little more. I used a Truvativ GXP spacer to get 2mm more, but it sounds like its in line now.

Members who have read this thread: 0