SS for a brand new rider?- Mtbr.com
    CrazyEye

SS for a brand new rider?

I've got a couple buddies who are looking to start riding. Would a single speed be good for them as a first mountain bike? I started a little over a year ago on a geared, full suspension. Then couple weeks ago I bought a nice used monocog with front shocks and love it way more, but I'm in way better shape now. If it was geared pretty easy, I don't think it would be any worse...just wondering if I'm missing anything.

mtbr member

I'd say good idea

Just gave my daughters boyfriend a Cannondale convert. He had never ridden a bike before at 17 years old. It works for him and he loves it.
    29er Fan!

I wear two thongs
    Pros: It will teach them to be a smarter rider.

Cons: they wont learn the concept of shifting (but hey if they get hooked on SS'ing this isnt really that important)
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    Pros: It will teach them to be a smarter rider.

Cons: they wont learn the concept of shifting (but hey if they get hooked on SS'ing this isnt really that important)
    I say go for it too, ssing teaches you a lot as a rider which you already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Umm, my impression is a lot of people start out geared and go to ss for the sake of another aspect of riding. If they are starting out (especially if they are not physically fit), it could make for a miserable time and possibly make them hate mtb'in.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

Turner Homer
    I did not think of that but that is a very big thing to think about. The reason why I decided to go to single speed is the reason of getting sick of buying new drivetrain parts.
    Dave

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    Umm, my impression is a lot of people start out geared and go to ss for the sake of another aspect of riding. If they are starting out (especially if they are not physically fit), it could make for a miserable time and possibly make them hate mtb'in.
    Yeah, I agree with this one. I'd start 'em on gears -- it's the gateway drug -- then move them up to the 'harder' stuff (SS).

One of the parts I love most about SS'ing is the climbs: breaking up a climb into attack and recover sections; the challenge of clearing a tough climb; and most of all, the feeling of when you're fit (or at least relatively fit) and cranking smoothly out of the saddle to conquer the climb. I think that some time on a geary is helpful to learning to really tackle climbs on an SS. They'll learn basics (like maintaining traction or clearing obstacles on a climb, and how to spin smoothly out of the saddle) while having the option to 'bail out' to a smaller rescue gear. Then, if they like mt. biking, encourage them to try your singlespeed.

But if they're at all fit & interested in the SS idea, I sure wouldn't stop 'em...

Members who have read this thread: 0