bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005

SS bike for a strong beginner

I'm 5'9 178-180 LBS a very strong hard core spinning instructor who love to get into the SS biking.
    May u help me choose the right bike for me.

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by bul
    I'm 5'9 178-180 LBS a very strong hard core spinning instructor who love to get into the SS biking.
    May u help me choose the right bike for me.
    uh, what do you want to ride, what do you want to spend?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    uh, what do you want to ride, what do you want to spend?
    XC, single track and some urban.

bicyclist
    XC, single track and some urban.
    urban as in urban assault/urban freeride or urban as in going to the store or to school or to work? edit: would you be willing to build something up yourself or are you looking for a complete?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    urban as in urban assault/urban freeride or urban as in going to the store or to school or to work?
    freeride and comute

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    What do u think of the Kona unit, Cannondale 1FG headshock or Surly 1x1

bicyclist
    the unit and the 1x1 are the classic ss bikes, and hard to go wrong with... i just saw this. if i lived in the states and didn't have to pay all kind of fees for shipping stuff, i'd be all over it. it prolly comes in under 30#, and has crazy-sweet components for the price...
    Tom Waits

Samsonite Tester
    he 1x1 is a good deal for a good bike. But I am going to buy a Kona Unit with the slide dropouts for disk brake ease.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Sofa King We Todd Did
    ...a very strong hard core spinning instructor
    You need to stop wasting your time with this creampuff singlespeed nonsense. You need to jump right into a fixed gear ride!

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    he 1x1 is a good deal for a good bike. But I am going to buy a Kona Unit with the slide dropouts for disk brake ease.
    Can u put fat tires on the unit ? I know u can on the 1x1.

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    the unit and the 1x1 are the classic ss bikes, and hard to go wrong with... i just saw this. if i lived in the states and didn't have to pay all kind of fees for shipping stuff, i'd be all over it. it prolly comes in under 30#, and has crazy-sweet components for the price...
    Thanks for your help. So what will you choose the unit, 1x1 or the mountain cycle ?
    Shall I take a complete bike or only the frame than build it ?

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    You need to stop wasting your time with this creampuff singlespeed nonsense. You need to jump right into a fixed gear ride!
    Which frame to choose ?

brother on a mission
    Thanks for your help. So what will you choose the unit, 1x1 or the mountain cycle ?
    Do you have some tools for wrenching on a bike? Do you want to build up a bike? It is fun to build your own bike, if that is what you are into. If you want to get out on the road as fast as possible, and have only a passing interest in wrenching on a bike, I say get the complete bike.

I believe the rumble is more of a freeride, urban assault frame than the 1X1 or the Unit.

If you will be riding on the road, a rigid fork will probably serve you better than a suspension fork. Some people like riding a rigid fork off-road too.

You may want to look into two bikes:
    A road single speed/fixie and a trail single speed/fixie.

www.Sheldonbrown.com has some great information on fixie and ss riding including options for bikes/frames/parts, etc.

The FAQ section of this board has good information and links too.

Good luck.

GF

The man who fell to earth
    When you say you want to use this bike for commuting and freeriding, do you mean freeriding, or do you mean freeriding? Because although the bikes you mention are durable and tough bikes, they aren't really intended for serious hucking. Especially the cannondale and it's headshock. The Unit's pretty beefy and the surly is a sturdy steel frame, but none of them are really meant for repeated serious drops/jumps (especially if you're a clyde) if that's what you have in mind. They're made to me light enough for efficient XC-ing, and durable enough for normal to semi-abusive off roading, but not for jumping off the house.

The Santa Cruz Chameleon is a good all around SS capable frame that is definitely beefy enough to be used for serious hucking, and can still be used for commuting/XC etc, and yet is still about as light as the previously mentioned frames (it's alum constructed). Plus the frame is available (new) for under $500 which is pretty cheap for a decent SS frame.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Which frame to choose ?
    I was only half kidding about the fixed ride.

I'm on a mission to score a singlespeed-specific frame myself, but I intend to build one up, rather than buy one off the shelf. The Cannondale 1FG has gotten favorable reviews for an off-the-shelf ride. As has the Gary Fisher Rig, albeit with some concern over the stock headset. Both are sold around the same price point, if I'm not mistaken.

You already know of the frames you can build on - the Kona Explosif/Unit, the Surly 1x1, the On One Inbred, the Zion EBB, the IRO Mia, the Mountain Cycle Rumble, the Azonic Steelhead.

How you choose to ride this singlespeed with determine which frame one might recommend. The Explosif/Unit, 1x1, Inbred, Zion, and Mia would all do nicely for XC rides. The Rumble and Steelhead are overbuilt steel monsters that will take the beating if you plan on thrashing them doing urban freeriding.

mtbr member
    Is it just me or is it a little odd that a spinning instructor is going to do freeride stuff?

That is about as far away from spinning as you can get.

For the serious hucking, I would go with the Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    Is it just me or is it a little odd that a spinning instructor is going to do freeride stuff?
    Especially in Miami.

bicyclist
    if money isn't a big issue, and you have the mechanical skills, go for it and build it yourself, but it's easier and cheaper to get it complete...
    i would personally take the mountain cycle, because the 1x1 need to be built up (which is too much money, IMO) and the parts spec is way nicer than the unit for the $...
    Tom Waits

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    Do you have some tools for wrenching on a bike? Do you want to build up a bike? It is fun to build your own bike, if that is what you are into. If you want to get out on the road as fast as possible, and have only a passing interest in wrenching on a bike, I say get the complete bike.

I believe the rumble is more of a freeride, urban assault frame than the 1X1 or the Unit.

If you will be riding on the road, a rigid fork will probably serve you better than a suspension fork. Some people like riding a rigid fork off-road too.

You may want to look into two bikes:
    A road single speed/fixie and a trail single speed/fixie.

www.Sheldonbrown.com has some great information on fixie and ss riding including options for bikes/frames/parts, etc.

The FAQ section of this board has good information and links too.

Good luck.

GF

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy-Stardust
    When you say you want to use this bike for commuting and freeriding, do you mean freeriding, or do you mean freeriding? Because although the bikes you mention are durable and tough bikes, they aren't really intended for serious hucking. Especially the cannondale and it's headshock. The Unit's pretty beefy and the surly is a sturdy steel frame, but none of them are really meant for repeated serious drops/jumps (especially if you're a clyde) if that's what you have in mind. They're made to me light enough for efficient XC-ing, and durable enough for normal to semi-abusive off roading, but not for jumping off the house.

The Santa Cruz Chameleon is a good all around SS capable frame that is definitely beefy enough to be used for serious hucking, and can still be used for commuting/XC etc, and yet is still about as light as the previously mentioned frames (it's alum constructed). Plus the frame is available (new) for under $500 which is pretty cheap for a decent SS frame.

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I was only half kidding about the fixed ride

I'm on a mission to score a singlespeed-specific frame myself, but I intend to build one up, rather than buy one off the shelf. The Cannondale 1FG has gotten favorable reviews for an off-the-shelf ride. As has the Gary Fisher Rig, albeit with some concern over the stock headset. Both are sold around the same price point, if I'm not mistaken.

You already know of the frames you can build on - the Kona Explosif/Unit, the Surly 1x1, the On One Inbred, the Zion EBB, the IRO Mia, the Mountain Cycle Rumble, the Azonic Steelhead.

How you choose to ride this singlespeed with determine which frame one might recommend. The Explosif/Unit, 1x1, Inbred, Zion, and Mia would all do nicely for XC rides. The Rumble and Steelhead are overbuilt steel monsters that will take the beating if you plan on thrashing them doing urban freeriding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Kind of sounds like he is full of "bul" to me

bul
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Why negativity man ? I'm kind of new to SS MTB , I'm ready to build myself a bike so need some help from you guys. Trying to learn how to do the right thing and which bike/frame to go with.

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocog Man
    Kind of sounds like he is full of "bul" to me