ss bike recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

ss bike recommendation

Any recommendations for single speed bike under $1000? I live in MD and plan on riding single track. I have not ridden in about 3yrs as I was temporarily located in FL. I previously rode a Klein Attitude and before that was on a steel Diamondback rigid fork. I never quite got use to the chatter associated with the Klein. I'm leaning towards buying a steel single speed. I'm also sort of torn between front suspension or rigid. Any help would be appreciated.

Peace & Love
    my vote...about $1080 shipped to the US. phenomenal SS with a package that just flat out works.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO29IN...er-singlespeed

mtbr member
    The On-One build is nicer than the Kona Unit, but if you want to pay 799 dollars instead of 750 pounds ($1155 as of 4/21/10), I'd go the Kona route.

The Unit has always been a good bike, but I saw one last weekend, and while they aren't using a name-brand steel any more, for 2010 the frame is outwardly better than ever. The sliding dropouts seem really stout and the tensioning screw is beefy, the little horseshoe shape making the chainstay/bottom bracket junction looks much cleaner than in years past when it looked like a bent arc of metal, the paint looks good, and they're using a real head badge. I can only assume it rides as well as it used to.

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=unit

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by likeybikey
    The On-One build is nicer than the Kona Unit, but if you want to pay 799 dollars instead of 750 pounds ($1155 as of 4/21/10), I'd go the Kona route.

The Unit has always been a good bike, but I saw one last weekend, and while they aren't using a name-brand steel any more, for 2010 the frame is outwardly better than ever. The sliding dropouts seem really stout and the tensioning screw is beefy, the little horseshoe shape making the chainstay/bottom bracket junction looks much cleaner than in years past when it looked like a bent arc of metal, the paint looks good, and they're using a real head badge. I can only assume it rides as well as it used to.

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=unit
    both are fine. your numbers are wrong. you do not pay VAT in the US. its 702 pounds shipped but doesnt matter...both will work, i just love the ride of Inbreds and have owned 2 so i am biased

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    both are fine. your numbers are wrong. you do not pay VAT in the US. its 702 pounds shipped but doesnt matter...both will work, i just love the ride of Inbreds and have owned 2 so i am biased
    I stand corrected.

mtbr member
    I love my new Haro Mary SS. I just got it 2 days ago and it's a blast to ride on technical singletrack. Steel frame, fully-rigid (with suspension corrected fork, so you can change to front suspension if you want), priced under $1000.

You have to be ok with riding a pink (2010) or baby blue (2009) bike, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss bike recommendation-merli-4-21-10-013.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAMA
    I love my new Haro Mary SS. I just got it 2 days ago and it's a blast to ride on technical singletrack. Steel frame, fully-rigid (with suspension corrected fork, so you can change to front suspension if you want), priced under $1000.

You have to be ok with riding a pink (2010) or baby blue (2009) bike, though.
    The Mary SS was on my short list when I was looking for another MTB. I chickened out on the 29er thing and went with a 26er. Now after converting the 26er to a SS I'm more curious about a 29er SS.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Check out the Bianchi Sok SS 29er. I pulled the trigger on it an have been riding it ever since. I now have a Stumpy full suspension backup bike.

I have not ridden a hardtale for some time and now I wonder why Ö this bike climbs like a champ and is a ton of fun.

All in all I got mine off Craigslist for $700 and it was new as the guy never rode it. I did do some research and one can be had just under $1K though. Note that Bianchi is not making them in 2010 so you would get a 2009 of 2008 depending on where you bought from but not sure that really matters.. didnít to me

Good luck.

tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss bike recommendation-sok.jpg  

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    That's a great find on craigslist! Gratz on the new ride.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would recomend something other than the SOK...while it was a great ridding bike, i've seen at least 3 of these frames break in the same spot on the top tube. My headtube seperated from the rest of the bike while ridding last year and they won't warranty it, they just kept giving me the run around. It wasn't even a year old at the time. Bianchi sucks to deal with...stay away from these guys.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I second the OnOne or the SE Stout. Both are pretty versatile.

Do you care about wheelsize (At this point)? I prefer rigid, but if MD has lots of rocks and roots, suspension would be nice....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Alright, i've done some searching and seemed to have narrowed down the choices: Haro Mary, Kona Unit, Redline Monocog Flight. Any thoughts? Any other bikes I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've had both the Monocog and Flight 29ers sold them and am now looking at a new SS as well. I've test ridden the new 2010 Unit and and I like the way it's constructed better than the Flight. ie; no ugly box gusset, longer head tube, better drop out design and also has better speced components for the price. I've looked at the Mary and I'm not really thrilled about the colors as well as weight and set screw ebb.

Members who have read this thread: 0