SS Bike-Packing- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS Bike-Packing

miwuksurfer

SS Bike-Packing

Lets see your set-ups!

Here is my Ruffian yesterday on the way back from an overnighter at the hot springs...

Apr 2007
    I recently became intrigued with bike packing. I was going to use my Steamroller, but was able to purchase a Monocog Flight frame (which I bought back from the guy I sold it to), and it will be set up as an occasional bike packer. I bought a dry bag already (to mount under the saddle), and I'm looking to get a handlebar bag. Won't be able to try it out until mid-2012, though.

Does that saddle bag rub your legs at all?
    Last edited by p nut; 12-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.

miwuksurfer
    Yeah, I think a proper handlebar bag, like from Carousel Design Works, would be nice. I just had my sleeping bag and hammock in a stuff sack strapped to the handlebars. It tried to work its way loose during the bumpy stuff.

Apr 2007
    What kind of hammock are you using? I've thought about getting a Warbonnet. Not 100% sold on those yet, though.

miwuksurfer
    Hey, I have an eno hammock. I love it. I think hammocks have a temperature limit of mid 40s though. You really need a sleeping pad in the hammock to insulate at night. I was pretty cold saturday night with a down bag and thin pad.

My legs hit the drybag under the saddle but it doesn't rub. I used ski straps to hold it in place and it barely budged over lots of rough fire road and 3000' gain and loss.

newb
    I have a Warbonnet Blackbird, it is a work of art, and the footbox works great to get a flat lie. Also highly recommend whoopie slings for saving weight and fast setup.

For winter camping, your best bet is some kind of underquilt, though people are also working on lightweight hybrid systems using reflectors. Take a look at hammockforums.net to see what people are up to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I see you're from SB, my one and only bikepacking trip was an SB to Ojai loop around Jameson Reservoir and through Matilija Canyon. Right around where you took your pic.

What gearing were your running? I wouldn't want to make that climb back from the hot springs on a single speed...

miwuksurfer
    Hey,
    Yes, the climb out is steep. I have a spinny 32x22 with my 29x2.4" tires. It works out pretty well for everything except flat asphalt for me.
    I actually went over Romero and down, from Santa Barbara. Left from my buddy's house downtown.

Ovaries on the Outside
    What do you guys have against showers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Hey,
    Yes, the climb out is steep. I have a spinny 32x22 with my 29x2.4" tires. It works out pretty well for everything except flat asphalt for me.
    I actually went over Romero and down, from Santa Barbara. Left from my buddy's house downtown.
    Romero is a nice ride. I used to ride up Romero and down Blue Canyon (?) frequently.

You should check out the Ojai loop. I rode up Romero, camped at Upper Santa Ynez, and finished the loop the next day. The hardest part was riding up Ladera to my car.