ss bike help- Mtbr.com

Thread: ss bike help

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

... and if we just ... ss bike help

Hello
    I am looking for help in finding the best frame for a me, I want to get into single speeds and its gotta be a 29er. 6 foot rider I have never ridden a SS but like the idea of a simple light fast bike. Im sold but I dont know what bike, or frame

this is what I have learned am I correct or mislead

I am not sure how to go or what is out there, I learned that rear-facing vertical drop outs are the strongest, and horizontal ones pull with torque, and become hung up and a problem overtime, so I figure I should look for the better of the 2 but then I need an eccentric bottom bracket to adjust the chain, but kinda think thats adding more work and trouble than needed.
    I might want to go with a full ridged bike and thought cro-moly steel would be the best no mater what build I do, I heard although aluminum is light itís a stiffer harder ride.

Currently looking at the Gary Fisher rig but not to sure and a Surly Karate Monkey, but open to any ideas

Please any advice or input or advice would be greatly appreciated, another nice bike

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyokane
    Hello
    I am looking for help in finding the best frame for a me, I want to get into single speeds and its gotta be a 29er. 6 foot rider I have never ridden a SS but like the idea of a simple light fast bike. Im sold but I dont know what bike, or frame

this is what I have learned am I correct or mislead

I am not sure how to go or what is out there, I learned that rear-facing vertical drop outs are the strongest, and horizontal ones pull with torque, and become hung up and a problem overtime, so I figure I should look for the better of the 2 but then I need an eccentric bottom bracket to adjust the chain, but kinda think thats adding more work and trouble than needed.
    I might want to go with a full ridged bike and thought cro-moly steel would be the best no mater what build I do, I heard although aluminum is light itís a stiffer harder ride.

Currently looking at the Gary Fisher rig but not to sure and a Surly Karate Monkey, but open to any ideas

Please any advice or input or advice would be greatly appreciated, another nice bike
    I'd look at this if I were you. Nice bike, great price!

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ocog-29er.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks that is a great looking bike

now Ive been doing more looking into and talking with guys about SS and they say no to steel, what do most people prefer and why

banned
    thanks that is a great looking bike

now Ive been doing more looking into and talking with guys about SS and they say no to steel, what do most people prefer and why
    If you buy that Redline, it will probably end up being the best bike you have ever owned. Upgrade it, ride it, repeat.

Anyone who says "No" to steel in a SS should be shot dead where they stand.

Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    If you buy that Redline, it will probably end up being the best bike you have ever owned. Upgrade it, ride it, repeat.

Anyone who says "No" to steel in a SS should be shot dead where they stand.

Listen to 29Colossus, he speaks the truth...

Please stay away and stop seeking advice from whoever is telling you no to steel for the SS. Aluminum is a great material for beer cans and full suspension frames, but for a hardtail SS steel is where it is at in my opinion. Steel is a more compliant frame material which soaks up the trail buzz and harshness delivering a lively ride that is much smoother than aluminum. Look at 99% of the SS bikes posted on this board, they are either steel or titanium. That's not to say there aren't some really nice aluminum SS frames (i.e. Ventana), but I think most would agree, steel is the material of choice for most.

The monkey is a great choice, I love mine. Also look at the Soma 29er frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2farfwd; 09-10-2006 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    29Colossus that is the best to the point reply I could ask for
    my only concern now is the 29er I am hearing that is handle poorly in tight and techinical trails, you guys love the 29ers and actually feel a diferance in rolling making it worth the extra costs later

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks 2farfwd that decision is in stone now I will not get a ss unless it is steel, you guys are helping me alot bad advice seems everywhere from this guy.
    I love that karate monkey I was looking at the fram the other day but building up a bike for a frame will be more costly than the redline wouldnt it, but would it be that much more to make it a problem?

and 29Colossus when you say upgrade is it out of poor parts or just a because its a good way to keep riding and upgrade as I can afford it any problems un fixable about the headset , I read alot of bad reviews about it

thanks again
    Last edited by yoyokane; 09-10-2006 at 08:58 AM.

banned
    29Colossus that is the best to the point reply I could ask for
    my only concern now is the 29er I am hearing that is handle poorly in tight and techinical trails, you guys love the 29ers and actually feel a diferance in rolling making it worth the extra costs later
    Does a 29" wheel turn "slower" than a 26" wheel on a mountain bike? Yes. There is no way around that physical truth. But, the same type of question could be asked about the 26" wheel. Does a 26" wheel turn faster, ie. handle well in tight technical trails? Or better yet, is there a lot of room to slow the turning down, while still maintaining what one desires in technical trail steering?

I say yes. The wheel size has room to grow, and so does the rider. It is such a small point.

But all this is pointless. I just stand up and smash the pedals, crushing tight and technical trail sections. I love them. The tighter the better. Rocks, roots, old Pennzoil cans, car tires.... There is simply no comparison between the two wheel sizes. My 29ers ride the trails, and my 26er rides to the store. That is just how it has ended up.

banned
    and 29Colossus when you say upgrade is it out of poor parts or just a because its a good way to keep riding and upgrade as I can afford it any problems un fixable about the headset , I read alot of bad reviews about it

thanks again
    The bike does not come with the best parts. I can't speak for the 07, but it is similarly speced as the 06.

The only parts one would be actually forced to replace would probably be the headset and then the bottom bracket, but that is not a given. My BB never quit, but the new owner said it did. Other than that, it is just up to cash. The brakes are worthless for any type of riding I do, but they work. The wheels are heavy, but they spin and can take a pretty solid hit. They are also disc ready. Everything else works fine. Stem, bars, seat, post.... perfectly fine.

In the end, it is 500 bucks after tax! RTR - ReadyToRide! You can't beat that with a stick! I tossed disc brakes on mine and a new headset, and pounded it. It rides like a gem. 4130 tubing. Not a dang thing wrong with that! It rides stout like a big horse, and will take some punishing downhills without getting out of line on you one bit.... If you can take it that is.

The Redline is a solid foundation, and rides as good as any SS out there. I don't care what it is made out of. The KM is also a great bike. So versatile. You can't go wrong with a steel SS. I can't think of one that I would steer someone away from.

thanks 2farfwd that decision is in stone now I will not get a ss unless it is steel, you guys are helping me alot bad advice seems everywhere from this guy.
    I love that karate monkey I was looking at the fram the other day but building up a bike for a frame will be more costly than the redline wouldnt it, but would it be that much more to make it a problem?

thanks again
    Since you are new to the SS thing and have never ridden a SS or a 29er, I would pick up the Redline complete bike and ride it for a while as is until you know if the SS 29er thing is for you. When I first began SSing I rode a Surly 1x1 with dreams of a custom frame in my near future. Well, the Surly frame rode so well that I just decided to keep it and years later I still don't have a custom frame. Parts are parts, and yes some are lighter and work better than others, but you can ride and have fun on most anything. The biggest upgrade for a SS would of course be the wheels, but you can upgrade to something nicer later on. Brakes are brakes, and some of my bikes have discs and others have V-brakes, but all of them stop me sooner or later. I ride in dry Colorado conditions, so for me Vs work well. For now, I would go with the Redline if I were you and have a blast!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    2farfwd thanks again I think I will just get the base redline one But I am woundering, you ride a 1 x 1, and do you ride it for a xc riding and 26-wheel and your happy,
    Im starting to think the 29 thing is not worth the deal and getting an 26 and that 1x1 is on a potential list for me, I already ride a 26 so there are my wheels and everything else sould be ez, if your happy on a 26 then why couldnt I

Members who have read this thread: 0