Thread: SS & back pain

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SS & back pain

Okay, so I've re-set my geared bike (Voodoo Bizango) that I've had for years back to a SS using a singleator. All well and good, rides great. A 34x18.

But after long/hard climbs I may clear the thing, but I end up sore as heck in the lower back.

I'm loving this SS thang, but worried that I could be headed for trouble. Do I need to reconfigure my seat/bars/everything before I ride again? Or am i trying too hard?

Welcome any and all feedback.

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by sheaminator
    But after long/hard climbs I may clear the thing, but I end up sore as heck in the lower back.
    I've gone through the same thing. I rode the summer "geared" and after racing season I switched to single speeding. At the point of the switch I was as fit as I ever am, but I still spent a couple of weeks with my lower back tightening up at the top of climbs and after the ride was over. A couple of hundred SS miles and the back is now in shape -- you really use the muscles in your back when mustering up a climb in a gear bigger, much more so than when you're riding smaller gears. If you're not getting sharp pains, my opinion is you can ride through the soreness. I would do as many crunches and hyper-back extensions as you can stand to further strengthen your back, and absolutely stretch your back on a daily basis while you're working your way throught he soreness. Get a good stretching book if you need to, it will more than pay for itself in saved chiropractic sessions...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Handlebar height is the big thing for me, whether I'm on an SS or the gearie. I've got a sacroilitic strain (chronic lower back condition) and I can only handle about 1/2 an hour stretched out and head down before my back is too painful to ride - the upright position on my main SS (Marys level with the seat) will let me ride for hours.

mtbr member
    Back pain is typcially tight, imbalanced muscles.
    You need to stretch your psoas, quads, and hamstrings regularly.
    Good bike fit can help, but overdoing it is more likely the culpret.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Okay, so I've re-set my geared bike (Voodoo Bizango) that I've had for years back to a SS using a singleator. All well and good, rides great. A 34x18.

I'm loving this SS thang, but worried that I could be headed for trouble. Do I need to reconfigure my seat/bars/everything before I ride again? Or am i trying too hard?

My lumbars get worked more an the SS than on a geared bike because I'm standing more. Moving my bars up and back a bit helped, as did some physical conditioning.

try driving your car less
    i went through this with help from the old SS board.
    your legs are stronger than your back. back will strengthen...
    in the meantime...
    i found an 'excersize ball' helped stretch and strengthen.

pull along your back, not across it when yanking on bars during a climb. think about pushing your hips forward and making a straight line from your shoulders, through your hips to your legs/pedals. sort of like bending your knees to pick up an object, not bending your back.

a lower gear helps, too.

if your back hurts, it's not good.
    Only boring people get bored.

Tame the Penguin!

I was having some back pain before I swapped to wider 710mm/31.8mm FSA DH carbon bars. Immediately my backpain ended as I'm assuming the wider stance allowed me to get more leverage on the bike.....decreasing the amount I had to pull with my lower back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I recently went through the same thing, three things have eliminated the problem for me.

Went from a 32/16 setup to 32/18.

Stretch back muscles after every ride.

Really focus on keeping my back as flat as possible when standing and cranking.

I think the biggest factor in working through it was the gear change, I was straining way too hard on the tough climbs.

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    I recently went through the same thing, three things have eliminated the problem for me.

Went from a 32/16 setup to 32/18.

Stretch back muscles after every ride.

Really focus on keeping my back as flat as possible when standing and cranking.

I think the biggest factor in working through it was the gear change, I was straining way too hard on the tough climbs.
    I moved from 33/20 down to 32/18 gearing and didn't notice any back pain now that I'm using my nice wide 710mm bars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ah Ha!

Gang, thanks for the feedback. I now covet wider handlebars. And a shorter stem. And. And. And.

I think I'll stick with the 34-18; I threw on a 34-20 at one point last week and just didn't like spinning out at every flat spot.

For now, I just did a couple rides with better posture, and back is much happier. Still tired, and legs still need some help, but that's all well and good.

Great tips, and thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0