SS 96er Build- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS 96er Build

mtbr member

SS 96er Build

I have an older Spec Rockhopper gathering dust on my bikestand and I am a little bored. What I am considering is converting it to a SS 96er. I think rigid to start. Since I will have no idea how it will feel to ride I want to start cheap. Buy a rigid fork and use the front wheel off my current 29er for test rides.

I am very noob to bike building and need suggestions on where to get parts, rigid fork first, and maybe list of parts I will need to pick up. I already know if I like it I will be converting to disc brakes. But while I am bored, have time, money is another issue so I will be piecing this thing together as money allows.

Suggestions appreciated.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    If money is tight, I'd recommend picking up a used fork off eBay, there are normally a few knocking around. Picking up older disc brakes should be very easy. I'd recommend getting the front disc at the same time and then you'll be ablo to go for the lovely clean look of a disc only fork.

Your idea should work nicely. Enjoy!

rebmem rbtm
    You can probably learn some stuff from this thread.

Link

Depending on what fork your bike was built for a low axle to crown like a surly 1X1 might be best to try and keep the head angle and bottom bracket height close to normal.

Would need more info about your frame to really make an exact recommendation.

mtbr member
    Current 26" frames based on 80-100mm travel forks work well with a 445mm a/c rigid fork. If your frame was spec'd with a 60-80mm, you can likely fit a 29er wheel on a 430mm. I wouldn't try much lower than that though. I'm running the Salsa Cromoto 445mm and i've kept my head angle within .5 degrees of the original. 29er wheel rolls well on a rigid bike. I think you will like it.

For trail repairs, a 26" tube will work fine to get you home in a 29er wheel. This way you only have to carry one size on your rides.

mtbr member
    Is this fork worth the money? It is 440cm a/c with a 6 7/8 tube length. My rock hopper has a 100mm J3 on it now.

On one carbon 29er forks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca View Post
    Would need more info about your frame to really make an exact recommendation.
    What do you need to know, like I said I am a noob to bike building, so I don't even know what I need to know.

mtbr member
    I would also be cautious about putting disc brakes on a bike not necessarily designed for discs. Unless the head tube junction is reinforced, this exercise can end in tears.

What year is the RH you have?

mtbr member
    It does have tabs for discs front and rear. My best guess is a 2005-2007
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    It does have tabs for discs front and rear. My best guess is a 2005-2007
    Ignore me then!

mtbr member
    If your Judy had an a/c measurement of 465mm then a 440mm fork + 29er should come out close. I think the 29er adds about 38mm which will slacken out .5-1 degree. Not too noticable in my experience.

mtbr member
    Picked up the On One. On my way. I believe I added about 12mm.

Need a front brake and to lose 23 gears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS 96er Build-uploadfromtaptalk1338232147254.jpg  

SS 96er Build-uploadfromtaptalk1338232176406.jpg  

Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    It is now a 96er SS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS 96er Build-uploadfromtaptalk1338248343250.jpg  

SS 96er Build-uploadfromtaptalk1338248360596.jpg  

Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I love 96ers. Yours looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Thanks. It was a fun day building and converting. The convert to SS is a bit ghetto as I am in a budget. So I used my middle ring and cranks and took apart my cassette to use my 17t cog. I used the cassette spacers and a piece of PVC for the spacers. I was going to use my derailure for a tensioner but couldn't get the adjust the adjust screws to work so I bought the Surly Singleator.

I found some used BB7's on ebay for $67 front and rear. So shortly I will have a front brake and eventually a rear disc brake.

I may change out the ghetto as money permits and once I decide on my gearing. 32/17 at the moment.
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    What is the benefit of the 96er over 26 wheels?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It climbs better. Also, it corners like a 26er because of the rear wheel.

I have a geared Trek 69er. It's a great bike. Yes, it does look a little funny, but the ride is priceless.

mtbr member
    I now have a front brake.

Picked up a set of used BB7's off Ebay. I had to buy another adaptor and grind it down to fit in order to mount on the 51mm IS tabs on the On One forks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS 96er Build-uploadfromtaptalk1338946220885.jpg  

Last edited by luvdabeach2001; 06-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by luvdabeach2001; 06-05-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Switched my rear cog to a 15t thw other day. I tried to switch the Singleator to push up on the chain but was unable to as it rubbed the chainstay. When riding with the 15t cog I was getting some slip, which I didn't have with the 17t cog. I also felt the 15 was too tall so I canibalized another cassette to get a 16t cog. I also purchased a 1/2 link figuring the slightly shorter chain would allow me to reverse the Singleator. Installing the cog and the link I found the chain was now tight enough, hopefully not too tight, to remove the Singleator. Rode it this afternoon and the 32/16 seems perfect and the chain seemed to have the correct tension. I also adjusted my spacers to get a better chain line .

Very happy with the build so far. I will likely make a list of things I want to swap out, pedals, as money permits.

I have new front wheel on order so my 29er fs is available for my son to ride.
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Picked up my wheel, WTB Laser Disc. SS 96er Build-uploadfromtaptalk1339559180704.jpg
    Now have two complete bikes.
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Damn I am enjoying this SS 96er. I just did my Daley Double and set a PR on the 1.2 mile climb, the climb starts at about mile one and ends a little after mile 2. Not the first PR climbing for this bike but definitely the longest.

<iframe src="http://www.endomondo.com/embed/workouts?w=ii_kGpknDY0&width=950&height=600&width= 950&height=600" width="950" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice job. I ride Daley Ranch all the time.

Now try the west end of the ranch. More hills over there.

mtbr member
    Yea the west side of Daley is very vertical. I have been over there on my 29er quite a few times. I may try the west side on my SS one day but am happy with doing Sage twice for now.

Maybe Raptor Ridge soon though.
    Mark Twain?

Members who have read this thread: 0