SS 29er for a shorty...- Mtbr.com
    Token Hillbilly

SS 29er for a shorty...

Hi all,

I'm 5'5" with a 30 inseam, and I am looking to get into a SS 29er.

I currently ride a 08 Fisher Marlin with a 15.5" frame that fits like a glove, but the lbs in my area doesn't sell many, if any, SS 29er's. So it's kinda hard for me to get some hands-on feelers for what I am looking for. I did sit on a Fisher Cobia with a like frame size last year, but the cockpit felt... cramped. Needless to say, it wasn't fitted for me, and that could have been the culprit.

Since this is my first SS, and 29er, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money to get into it. So, it would help if it could fall under the $1k mark.

Thanks in advance and help!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Life is Go0d!
    Redline Monoccog Flight, msrp $899. My wife is your height... she rides a 15. Double butted steel, good sliders. The color for '10 is matte black.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sweet looking bike, thinking about a SS 29er myself. Getting bored with 21sp full sus, feel the need to simplify and get intouch with cycling again.

mtbr member
    have you considered a 650b single speed at all?

Token Hillbilly
    Thanks for the reply! I was actually eyeballing that very bike. Just haven't seen one in person, and was really unsure if the 15 for a 29er would feel the same as a 15 on a 26er due to my experience on the Cobia.

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    have you considered a 650b single speed at all?
    I honestly haven't, but only because of the limited availability around here. A friend of mine was pretty stoked when he got to ride one though. Would be more than glad to have some pointers on them!

Life is Go0d!
    She rode the same size 26 before this bike. There is no penalty for the Larger wheels in this particular bike. The stem sizes can be swapped to dial it in... if needed. We did nothing to hers. On a side note, the complete bike price is hard to beat. The frame is also covered by a lifetime warranty. It's also suspension corrected to run a squish fork if you choose to. There are also stops on the frame to run it 1x9 or a full compliment of gears, should you want them later. The drive side dropout gets replaced with one that has a derailleur hangar.. should you want that later as well. We love them ss.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Token Hillbilly
    I really appreciate the info! Makes it much less scary knowing that beforehand.

I owe you one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride a small Salsa El Mar and I am 5'6 with a 30in inseam. It fits and rides great. Best handeling bike I have owned. It is also set up as a SS. You can find them on ebay, with SS or geared for 1k or under. And the El Mar can be switched from either gears or SS with ease.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Salsa-El-Ma...item2303c4c7bc

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Salsa-El-Mariach...item414cbb7cda

or just frame

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Salsa-El-Ma...item27af0d61d3

good luck

I like turtles
    I am 5'6" w/a 29" inseam and ride a 15" Monocog - fits fine.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Got Twins?
    My wife is 5'6" and rides a 2007 El Mariachi with plenty of stand over clearance. She would have gotten a Niner but we're not into having identical bikes. A Niner SIR9 was her next choice. You should be fine barring some physical dimensions that won't work for you.

HTH,
    L8
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Specialized RH 29er

My wife is 5'-4.5" (31" inseam) and rides both a 15" Niner EMD & 15" Rockhopper SL 29er SS. Both have short stems, and plenty of post showing. She used to ride just 26ers, but demo'ed a GF X-cal 3 yrs ago and became a better rider INSTANTLY. She also has a 26" carbon full suspension 26er she uses sometimes for extra rough/long rides.
    that rug really tied the room together.

achiever
    I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam and I ride a 16" On One Scandal. The Scandal and Inbred are the same except the Scandal is aluminum and the Inbred is steel. You'll have to spec and roll your own but you won't be disappointed. These things climb like goats, too!

Members who have read this thread: 0