SS 29er Poll- Mtbr.com

Poll: SS 29er Poll

Thread: SS 29er Poll

Ron
    mtbr member

SS 29er Poll

I've been testing a SS 29er Frankenbike. For me so far the Pros out weigh the Cons for XC riding.
    Last edited by Ron; 03-24-2004 at 11:22 AM. Reason: more info

ali'i hua
    both! and I dont see going exclusively one way or the other anytime soon.

another question for the 29er types: have you ever noticed that you have to make a reservation if you want to get it into flight? my 26ers leave the ground with little fanfare, but the 29er beast just doesnt want to leave its terra firma.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Ride a 29er singlespeed mostly.
    Ride both a 29er and a 26er.
    Tried a 29er and loved it.
    Switch off between the 29er SS and the 26 full-squish gearie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Ride 29er only
    Ride both 29 & 26
    Tried a 29er but didn't like it
    Rode a 29er for awhile but now back on a 26
    Would like to try a 29er
    What's a 29er

mtbr member

Monkey

I touched a Karate Monkey once...and yes, it is a bike. A yard stick is 32" long, so a 29" wheel is 3" shy of being considered a Yarder.
    Does a cross bike (Gunnar Cross Hairs a la ENO) count as a 29"?

34N 118W

Mexican Metrics

last I checked a yard was 3 feet, or 36". But I understand, you seem stressed....maybe it's the baby. Maybe Sarah's not the horny pregnant wife type.

re: your other post:

sell your Jeep and buy a Prius, then you won't feel so bad. It'll break if you take it off road, but at least you can run it in stealthy "electric only" mode if you want.

we all drive and we all ride. That's just the fax. L.A. is a monster of a city and damn near impossible to cover on a bike unless you're just a wanderer. But the more we ride out in the faces of the people commuting in their Excursions, the more minds will start to consider alt forms of transpo, I think. Especially if gas heads towards $3 this summer. So hit the streets!

HW

PS: on-topic - I'm 29er curious. A 1x9 29er may be next....

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I touched a Karate Monkey once...and yes, it is a bike. A yard stick is 32" long, so a 29" wheel is 3" shy of being considered a Yarder.
    Does a cross bike (Gunnar Cross Hairs a la ENO) count as a 29"?
    Last edited by Hollywood; 03-24-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Ron
    mtbr member
    I've noticed the same thing but I haven't considered it a negative, yet. Kinda fells good and stable, grippy.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer

another question for the 29er types: have you ever noticed that you have to make a reservation if you want to get it into flight? my 26ers leave the ground with little fanfare, but the 29er beast just doesnt want to leave its terra firma.

mtbr member

centeemeeters

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    last I checked a yard was 3 feet, or 36". But I understand, you seem stressed....maybe it's the baby. Maybe Sarah's not the horny pregnant wife type.
    Oh yeah! I must have been thinking metric. Dammit! when we moved to the USA for the opportunity to sell tacos, the inch or yard, or english system fukked a lot with me. I like the metric system. Is the US the only country that uses it?

If the mafia was after me, I probably just get one bike to do it all, and that would be a Karate Monkey, because I touched one.

Witty McWitterson
    My primary ride is a 29"er, but switch back to the 26" for memories sake every now and again. I would like to pick up a 26" urban/jumpy bike though. Just something I can beat on in town. The 29" just isn't right for that kind of action.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

recent KM fan

I built up a ss KM around Christmas and since then I've sold two of my 26" ss and one ss roadie. I've still got a few 26" ss, but I haven't had a desire to ride them on the local trails since I got hooked on the ss 29er. The bigger wheels are a blast to ride rigid.

I must admit that I hated my first ride on the 29er, but that was only because of the position I set the bars, it felt the way a Hybrid looks. Once I got my cockpit set up properly, I fell in love with it. I doubt I'll take it to Moab or to the skate park or out ratt'in, that's what my heafty 26er ss is for.

Faster Than Your TV!

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer

on both counts. Ride both 26 and 29 and have noticed the extra effort required to get air over obstacles when riding the 29er . Just starting "re-riding" the KM as a 29er MTB and am loving it. May stick with it a while into summer. It has dual discs; my 26er only has a front disc.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Recovering couch patato
    Since I touched 29" a few years ago, I've not investing in 26" at all. I'm not buying replacements for my existing 26" rides. Right now I "just" have a Fisher hardtail and Karate Monkey. Actually, the hardtail makes the 26" FS quite pointless already, and 29" FS, that'd be a new level in cycling for me.
    I'm working on a 4-cross bike, not sure which to get yet, but I sure want one. So far only 26" available, which bugs me, but I do believe it works pretty well for that purpose. Still, 30" would be da bomb, 25" rims plus 2.5" tires.
    About airtime, my 29" bikes take off just as well, and I travel the same distance as with 26", but the kick of smashing down afterwards is almost gone. Dropoffs have become uneventful for me, I just need more extreme trails to be tested to the max. But, that doesn't take away any fun facto, au contraire!
    As a racer, I'm always looking at efficiency and laptimes, and IMO 26" is simply inferiour for XC riding, period.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

rejected
    i ride a bike... 2 wheels, 1 gear..thats it