SS 29er frame list?- Mtbr.com
    burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

SS 29er frame list?

So I just bought a geared 29er hardtail (yeah, I'm not SS-exclusive...), and now that I've done that I'm saving up to replace my Monocog 29er with something else - I've realized that while I like the 'Cog, it doesn't really fit well with what I (want to) ride anymore.

Since I don't have any money yet, I'm spending some time trying to either find or build a database/spreadsheet of SS frames. I'd like stuff sorted by tensioning method, frame material, and price. Two questions:

1 - Anyone know if one exists? (I found this but it's more of a data vomit and less of a database).

2 - If answer to #1 is no, feel free to start listing what you know! I'll start up something and post/link what I get.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

WillWorkForTrail
    I don't know of an existing database, but I'm interested in seeing what you can turn up. I'm in the market for a new single speed, but I don't know if I want to buy the whole bike, or build it a bit at a time. Just out of curiosity, what is it about your Monocog that doesn't suit you? I was handed a rumor the other day that Redline may be making a carbon frame for it in 2013.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is it about your Monocog that doesn't suit you?
    Two things. First, I find it's a little too ground-loving - it's very stable, but it's quite an effort to convince the front end to pop up. I'd like something a bit more lively. Second (and more importantly), I don't like the dropouts - even using Redline's own tensioners the axle will slip on occasion, and it's a pain getting the brake rotor lined up correctly with the brakes each time.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by burnedthetoast View Post
    I find it's a little too ground-loving - it's very stable, but it's quite an effort to convince the front end to pop up.
    Interesting. I have that same complaint about my current ride (Nashbar 29er). I'm looking for a complete bike, but have also considered (and not ruled out) buying a frame and building something up:

Salsa El Mariachi
    Surly Karate Monkey

Those are the two frames I've looked at hardest.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    I just bought a geared EMD9, I initially thought I wanted an El Mar2 but after riding the El Mar3 and El Mar Ti (shop didn't have the 2) I felt like they were solid but uninspiring. I don't know if a SS setup or build changes (100mm fork instead of 80mm, for example) would change that significantly or not. One note: Salsa frames run a little big IMO, so check sizing before you order if you go that route. I'm normally a medium frame, but I was just fine on a Salsa small.

I do really like the El Mar frame for the Alternator dropout though, that seems like a good setup to me.

mtbr member
    I don't know if you have a budget, but Oscar (Simple Bicycle Co, in Portland, OR) just finished building a dedicated SS 29er frame for a buddy of mine. He used rocker dropouts on I think (haven't seen it yet) On mine (26") he used sliders - he basically can build whatever you want to fit what you want. Wait times are generally less than 6 months and cost is sub-$2000, fyi.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Boostin - I dunno what Cotharyus was thinking, but I was looking at production frames. Custom builders are a whole different ball game since they're... well... custom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is what I remember when I was doing my research and Ebay scouring. Ended up with a 2009 Haro Mary. None of this is exact, it is just what I remember off the top of my head.

Kona Unit - Steel - Sliders
    Ralieh XXIX - Steel - EBB (some have a belt drive)
    Niner - Various Frame Materials (carbon, steel, AL) - I think most if not all are EBB
    Surly Karate Monkey - Steel - Sliders
    Vassago Jabberwocky - Steel - Sliders (may be defunct)
    Haro Mary - Steel - EBB (2010 was last year)
    Spot -
    Monocog -
    Monocog Flight -
    Lynskey - Ti - Sliders
    Bikesdirect has steel and AL I think all sliders ranging from $300 to $850 or so
    GF Sawyer - Does not come SS, but is steel and rigid and looks like it would make a great SS frame. Sliders and split dropout for running a belt if so desired.
    GF Superfly - Carbon - I don't think they make the SS anymore (2010 was their last year?)
    GF Rig - AL -
    Specialized is coming out with some SS bikes and a new rigid fork

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    tooclosetosee - thanks! Starting my list with those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    REEB Cycles, 29er, Steel, SS, belt drive....drool.
    Home - Reeb Bicycles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought an El Mar recently and am really liking it. Seems to soak bumps well, and has stable/confident handling. Not incredibly stiff, but still climbs fine. I don't have much of a problem getting wheels off the ground. I wanted to avoid EBBs, so the El Mar's dropout system works for me.

mtbr member
    Yup, I see. Custom is custom. Kona also makes a steel frame called the HONZO and it has sliders. They're a production 29er I would probably ride with a smile.

Axles of Evil

Some more

Soma Juice - Sliders (new model)
    Cotic Simple - Track ends
    Civilian Luddite - Sliders
    Misfit Dissent (Al and Steel versions) - Sliders
    Ventana El Toro Bravo - EBB

Plenty more out there.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    SSDad - thanks, added to the list.

Anyone have a suggestion on how best to share the spreadsheet, other than google docs?

mtbr member
    On One has some SS specific frames including a carbon frame as well as SS sliders that will work on their non-specific frames.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    This is what I remember when I was doing my research and Ebay scouring. Ended up with a 2009 Haro Mary. None of this is exact, it is just what I remember off the top of my head.

Kona Unit - Steel - Sliders
    Ralieh XXIX - Steel - EBB (some have a belt drive)
    Niner - Various Frame Materials (carbon, steel, AL) - I think most if not all are EBB
    Surly Karate Monkey - Steel - Sliders
    Vassago Jabberwocky - Steel - Sliders (may be defunct)
    Haro Mary - Steel - EBB (2010 was last year)
    Spot -
    Monocog -
    Monocog Flight -
    Lynskey - Ti - Sliders
    Bikesdirect has steel and AL I think all sliders ranging from $300 to $850 or so
    GF Sawyer - Does not come SS, but is steel and rigid and looks like it would make a great SS frame. Sliders and split dropout for running a belt if so desired.
    GF Superfly - Carbon - I don't think they make the SS anymore (2010 was their last year?)
    GF Rig - AL -
    Specialized is coming out with some SS bikes and a new rigid fork
    Trek still makes a Superfly SS carbon, but this year they started making it in China versus the US. Funny enough the price actually went up as well. Was enough for me to go buy a Niner instead.

nothing to see here
    Specialized Carve Pro 29 SS - M4 Aluminium, no cable guides, 160mm post mount rear, split shell ebb goodness

I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Steven,
    That Spec SS is sexy. How long you been riding it?

mtbr member
    I think its a 2013 model that was just released...really nice!

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilducky View Post
    Steven,
    That Spec SS is sexy. How long you been riding it?
    It's not mine. The photo was from twentynineinches website. I have the black and white 2012 model.

I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Stevob, How have you been liking that Split shell BB?

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    REEB Cycles, 29er, Steel, SS, belt drive....drool.
    Home - Reeb Bicycles
    REEB bikes? Are you kidding me? Ride Hard. Drink Beer. Be Good. Thats my life motto. Sometimes I wish I didnt go on this website, it just perpetuates my bike lust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Niner One 9
    Niner SIR 9
    Lenz Milk Money 3.0/4.0
    Motobecane Outcast
    Gravity G29
    Dawes BullsEye

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Thanks brent878 - I had all the Niner frames on the list but not the others.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Stevob, How have you been liking that Split shell BB?
    Absolutely love it. Never a peep from it, hasn't slipped, and isn't likely to either.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Members who have read this thread: 0