SS: 26 v. 29 - help me out here....- Mtbr.com
    Bodhisattva

SS: 26 v. 29 - help me out here....

I'm in the decision making process over whether to get a SS 26 v. 29er.
    Thinking of going with a nice blingy Moots Mooto or Rigor Mootis.

I have no experience on the 29er but can conceptually grasp the benefits, particularly on a SS, and hope to get a demo in soon from Moots.

Was wondering what the collective thoughts of the Borg would yield.

26 v. 29 ....please discuss.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

I have no experience on the 29er but can conceptually grasp the benefits, particularly on a SS, and hope to get a demo in soon from Moots.

If I was going custom Single I'd go 29'er, the way I figure it, your already going fringe bike might as well fly the freak flag a little more. I however draw the line of being freaky at the expense of the riding experience, i.e. weird components or drivetrain.
    "Do not touch the trim"

jl
    climb
    BEWARE! If you get a 29"er you'll be auctioning off that 26" old-school-horst bling machine, and beggin' for a new improved non-horst 29" version. Make sure you budget wisely.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Make sure you budget wisely.
    Not one of my better life skills.
    Jeff, you missed a nice ride last night up Thompson canyon.

jl
    climb
    Couldn't make it. I'm playing single-parent bachelor-dad for a week. I'm hoping to do some "burly" rides today ...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Belltown Brazer

The momentum-carrying abilities of the big wheels go hand-in-hand with the single speed riding style.

After a year on the big wheels, I've ridden my 26" a couple of times lately. I was dumbstruck by just how much you have to pedal those little wheels to keep things moving.

The 26" proponents go on and on about the little wheels ability to accelerate. Keep in mind that they loose energy at the same rate.

Riding big wheels for a year (after 19 years on little wheels) on geared and single speed bikes it is my opinion that they are better for everything except pure hucking.

B

rbtm member
    Jan 2004

I love my 29er SS! Do it. After riding a 29 for a while, all the academic debate about them now seems silly to me. To me they're clearly better, just like disk brakes .
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

'Nother 29" vote

The improved traction my 29er gives me in the rear is enough to justify the big wheels. I never spin out the back tire, driving my knee into my stem like in the old days. On top of that, the bike just loves to roll. I recently did a 24hr race on my rigid SS and couldn't believe how fast I rolled up on guys riding geared duallies. I was just working the terrain to eek out all the momentum I could while they were pedaling like mad. It was sweet.

They may be a little slower to pedal up long non-technical climbs, but for everything else the 29er wheels are my weapon of choice. All day epics, technical stuff, fast flowy trails, twisties, you name it.
    Dirtbag since '89

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Split decision

What do you guys think about a 29" front 26" rear combination as a Crosscountry setup for the SS I already have? Isn't that what Travis Brown's new setup is?

mtbr member

Good job! Fuel for the 29’er

Quote Originally Posted by midtnSS
    What do you guys think about a 29" front 26" rear combination as a Crosscountry setup for the SS I already have? Isn't that what Travis Brown's new setup is?
    I agree with the other posters and want to add the following. I understand the argument for a 29 /26 but for only a FS bike. The 29’er rear wheel smoothes out the trail. I owned a 26” Kona Unit (steel) and now own a Rig (Aluminum) and the Rig feels waaaaaay smoother, better traction bla bla bla.

Kill your... television
    Buy the 26"ER!!!! I am tired of everybody buying 29"ers... It is taking away what little competitive advantage I have...
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

Try asking how many people who own and ride a 29er if they ever see themselves switching back. i'm a 29er for life, and don't go half way(29/26), go all the way.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Reviewer/Tester
    Go 29'er.

Once you try them, you will never go back to small wheels.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Everything he says...

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    The improved traction my 29er gives me in the rear is enough to justify the big wheels. I never spin out the back tire, driving my knee into my stem like in the old days. On top of that, the bike just loves to roll. I recently did a 24hr race on my rigid SS and couldn't believe how fast I rolled up on guys riding geared duallies. I was just working the terrain to eek out all the momentum I could while they were pedaling like mad. It was sweet.

They may be a little slower to pedal up long non-technical climbs, but for everything else the 29er wheels are my weapon of choice. All day epics, technical stuff, fast flowy trails, twisties, you name it.
    and I love surfing the 9'er through turns!

no question, go ahead w/ the 9'er and ruin our advantage. Argh, motoman711 is right! All these 9'er converts are gonna challenge our race results

Hairshirt Rider
    You surely do need to ride one or two on your regular trails up north.

My limited experience on a 29" SS on Front Range trails can be summarized like this. Fun going down, fun on the rolling stuff, noticeably more effort required on extended climbs, a handicap when trying to ascend up and over ledgey, stepy technical sections of trail where a temporary stall is required to set up for the next move - there are lots of these on the trail network closest to my home.

Overall I liked the ride, but not enough to drop everything to run out and buy one considering where I do most of my riding. The 29er SS is more of a "some day" bike for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Go with the 29er. My first SS was a 29er (first 29er too). I ended up selling my two kiddie wheeled bikes for two more 29ers (one other will be SS).

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redxj
    Go with the 29er. My first SS was a 29er (first 29er too). I ended up selling my two kiddie wheeled bikes for two more 29ers (one other will be SS).
    That whole "kiddie wheel" thing is so stupid. What are you, twelve?
    "Do not touch the trim"

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    ......Calling them kiddie wheels is a bit juvenile. They should just be refered to as smaller inferior wheels

Yep, because 29" wheels dominate 26" wheels in all MTB competitions.........wait, no they don't.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Steamroller

I agree........

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    That whole "kiddie wheel" thing is so stupid. What are you, twelve?
    ......Calling them kiddie wheels is a bit juvenile. They should just be refered to as smaller inferior wheels
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    There are soooo many folks loving 29ers that I still wonder why people ask this question. Are people still asking about snowboards vs skis? Thumb vs rapid fire? Baggy vs Lycra? Just go w/ a niner and be done w/ the debate.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Recovering couch patato
    Get on the Loaner thread on the 29" board. It's linked in a sticky.

All that seperates you from being a believer is a good test ride. That can be provided. If you don't find any one the loaner thread, open a new one and ask for a test ride in your region, stating your bike size M/L/XL. Prepare to bring beer.

You don't need a testride to know it's better really, but a ride with fellow MTBR members can't be a bad way to spend a weekend. Worst-case scenario you'll hate the bike, but see loads of cool new trails semi-local to you.

I am the owl

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I'm the odd man out. I have a 29er SS and a 26" SS and continue to ride them both and will in the future. The 26" is not dead for me.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wagon wheel vs kiddie wheel

It looks like RiderX answered your question. Two bikes.

Rigor Mortis in 29 and Mooto-X in 26.

I'm a big believer in multiple bikes.

Actually, with the big bucks that you're looking to spend, some good test rides would do you more good than the rants/raves of drunken singlespeeders.

Bodhisattva
    The nice thing about Moots is that they'll ship a demo to my LBS.
    I'm requesting a 29er be sent upon their return from Interbike.
    No need to demo a 26er as they last 15 years of my life on a 26 has allowed me to form some sort of ill-formed opinion.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Numerous randomized double-blinded studies show that I prefer the bigger wheels.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Numerous randomized double-blinded studies show that I prefer the bigger wheels.
    No cowbell? I'm not listening.

Nat
    mtbr member
    No cowbell? I'm not listening.
    Har! Some other guy on this site took it.

Members who have read this thread: 0