SS to a 1 X 9 can it be done....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SS to a 1 X 9 can it be done....

Is it possible to convert a singlespeed with horizontal drops to a 1 X 9? If so has anyone ever done it and how would you go about doing it. Let me know as i am thinking about convertying my Bianchi Sass to a 1 X 9 if all possible.

Thanks
    Chris

What day are we riding?
    Yes, get a chain tensioner that has a derailuer hanger. There are a couple different makers. Then if you don't have cable stops just run full length housing and use zip ties if you want cheap or JagWire makes some adhesive backed guides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yeah buy a rholoff haha(i think there 14 though) or a welder or drill some holes and bolt on a bracket. hmm im just speculating ive never done it but im sure you could but im also sure that after three or four rides you'd tear it apart and go back to the ss version, cause well i have a1x9 and a ss and thats basically what ive done. The weird thing is how fast my legs got weak once i quit ssing for a couple of months,not gonna let that happen again! good luck with your project.

Fahrrad fahren

Options

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed1
    Is it possible to convert a singlespeed with horizontal drops to a 1 X 9? If so has anyone ever done it and how would you go about doing it. Let me know as i am thinking about convertying my Bianchi Sass to a 1 X 9 if all possible.

Thanks
    Chris

On One
    Sold out.

DMR

REVELL no web link, but mountainboat has one on his monocog in this thread.

Jamis Has one on the Exile. Don't know if you can get it aftermarket.

I'd like to do up a monocog and a 1x7.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

pvd
    mtbr member
    Saint.

mtbr member
    I made my SS 29er into a 1x8 -- only did the 1x8 because I had a old shifter and cass--

now don't laugh but i used a reflector bracket as my chain guide-- never dropped yet--

I have some pics if you like to see

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Jamis

I just converted my SS Jamis Exile 29r into a 1x9. The Exile like your's has horizontal dropouts. Luckily though Jamis included a der. hanger that slides into the dropout. Not sure if you can order one thru Jamis and even if it would fit. I recommend calling the you're bike company and see what they recommend. They might just have what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daschmaz
    I made my SS 29er into a 1x8 -- only did the 1x8 because I had a old shifter and cass--

now don't laugh but i used a reflector bracket as my chain guide-- never dropped yet--

I have some pics if you like to see
    Email me some pics if you dont mind.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by g-wiz
    I just converted my SS Jamis Exile 29r into a 1x9. The Exile like your's has horizontal dropouts. Luckily though Jamis included a der. hanger that slides into the dropout. Not sure if you can order one thru Jamis and even if it would fit. I recommend calling the you're bike company and see what they recommend. They might just have what you're looking for.
    Would you mind posting a pic of your setup.

Thanks

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Would you mind posting a pic of your setup.

Thanks
    I converted my Fetish Fixation to a 1x9 quite easily. If you don't have a derailer hanger you can always get a Saint derailler. I used a Jump stop chain guide to keep the chain on up front. Incendentally I am selling this frame and I would be glad to send you the jump stop if you would like to try it. I got it from a friend and it worked just fine. Google JumpStop for more info. Here are some of my pics,
    The bike went from this:

To this:

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

SS to 1x9

I have a Jabberwocky with horizontal drop outs and it came with the gear plugs to allow you to run it as a 1x9. I believe they sell them separately - not sure though. Pic attached of the gear plugs.

Thanks
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retro Grouch

Looks like this..

Email me some pics if you dont mind.

Thanks
    Interesting; I'm sure they'll sell them (just tell them you own an Exile and need a new one).

Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

I would but...

I dont have a digi camera. Ya I know, I'm way behind times but one day I'll get one. One day...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks

I will give it a try.....

Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I converted my Fetish Fixation to a 1x9 quite easily. If you don't have a derailer hanger you can always get a Saint derailler. I used a Jump stop chain guide to keep the chain on up front. Incendentally I am selling this frame and I would be glad to send you the jump stop if you would like to try it. I got it from a friend and it worked just fine. Google JumpStop for more info. Here are some of my pics,
    The bike went from this:

To this:
    Where did you get the derailler hanger?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Xayden
    I have a Jabberwocky with horizontal drop outs and it came with the gear plugs to allow you to run it as a 1x9. I believe they sell them separately - not sure though. Pic attached of the gear plugs.
    Where do you i get one of those?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Where did you get the derailler hanger?
    Fetish frames come with it.

mtbr member

my ghetto chain guide

best $.14 chain guide made

Members who have read this thread: 0