sram quick link- Mtbr.com

Thread: sram quick link

try driving your car less

New question here. sram quick link

How long does it really take you to disconnect a SRAM quick link? I find them great for assembling a chain, but impossible to remove. I end up just breaking the chain with a regular chainbreaker after some frustrating attempts to disconnect the thing.

Am I just 'mechanically challenged' or is this common?

Yes, the chain is dirty. I try to just clean the quicklink. and put some lube on. THe chain is not under tension... I just find that once the thing has been used for a while, it's just attached so firmly that I cannot disconnect it by hand.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

force

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    How long does it really take you to disconnect a SRAM quick link? I find them great for assembling a chain, but impossible to remove. I end up just breaking the chain with a regular chainbreaker after some frustrating attempts to disconnect the thing.

Yes, the chain is dirty. I try to just clean the quicklink. and put some lube on. THe chain is not under tension... I just find that once the thing has been used for a while, it's just attached so firmly that I cannot disconnect it by hand.
    Too long, I always needed some leverage, which takes away the idea of "quick". I use a 1/8" chain and a BMX link.

I like to ride bikes!

About 4 seconds...

Kinda hard to explaine, you gotta squeeze it diagonally with a plyers.

Steel and teeth.

A few seconds... by hand... dirty and gritty... doesn't seem to matter.

I wiggle and bend it a bit... usually in the plane parallel to the pins.

My only words of advice are practice... once you get it, you'll never have this problem again.

b1umb0y

Nat
    mtbr member

Takes me 10 seconds. The technique is to "smear it" open.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    Kinda hard to explaine, you gotta squeeze it diagonally with a plyers.

pliers?! naw, by hand it takes about 2 seconds... squeeze the plates a bit while squeezing the pins towards each other and it opens right up... it's like a brassiere... too quickly, too much force, it all goes to hell... be gentle

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    pliers?! naw, by hand it takes about 2 seconds... squeeze the plates a bit while squeezing the pins towards each other and it opens right up... it's like a brassiere... too quickly, too much force, it all goes to hell... be gentle
    thanks for the picture. i will need to revisit this.

can you do the quicklink with one hand? the real question: can you open a bra with one hand? without looking? both lefty and righty?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Like duh. You have to loosen your wheel first.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Nat
    mtbr member
    . it's like a brassiere... too quickly, too much force, it all goes to hell..
    Har!!! Oh man! I wonder if it'd help to gently rub the bottom bracket and breathe on the headset at the same time?

mtbr member

I've noticed...

that the "quick" links are much tighter now than they use to be. My old(previously unused)ones(like 5 years old) are very easy to undo, no chain cleaning needed. THe newer ones suck to get unhooked. I always have to clean the chain to get them loose. And yes, I can unhook a bra, singled handed, lefty or righty!

MC

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Bollocks. I can pop a bra open with one hand using only three fingers. I can't do that with a Powerlink!
    Flimsy Shimano bras...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    ... it's like a brassiere... too quickly, too much force, it all goes to hell... be gentle
    Bollocks. I can pop a bra open with one hand using only three fingers. I can't do that with a Powerlink!

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Har!!! Oh man! I wonder if it'd help to gently rub the bottom bracket and breathe on the headset at the same time?
    try a magnum of cold white wine and some flowers.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Agree with the bra comment, once you learn how to undo one it becomes second nature.

Try to undo a KMC, those things are a pain to disconnect.