SRAM PC-1 Nickel Singlespeed Chain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

SRAM PC-1 Nickel Singlespeed Chain

Any opinions on this "singlespeed specific" chain from SRAM? It's only $10 at Performance: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=431#

Wondering if this will offer equivalent performance as an 8-spd SRAM chain.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tingj
    Any opinions on this "singlespeed specific" chain from SRAM? It's only $10 at Performance: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=431#

Thanks.
    I used it a bunch cuz they were cheap but had them pop off a few times, I think cuz it is wider than most chains. I now use the the PC58 had no problems, I have not tried the more expensive chains and I usually buy a few of the PC58's when they are on sale.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My bad. I should have searched the forum before I posted. Anyways, it seems the consensus is that the PC-1 is a cheap, heavy chain that doesn't work as well as the PC-58. Based on what I just read, I am going to pass on the PC-1 and fork out the extra $ for an 8-spd chain.

Thanks.

mtbr member

I like the chain

Five 24 hr races, 30 laps? and Sat. and Sun. rides and only ONE chain pop. 1500+ miles.
    I like the chain.

mtbr member

See Nashbar

My bad. I should have searched the forum before I posted. Anyways, it seems the consensus is that the PC-1 is a cheap, heavy chain that doesn't work as well as the PC-58. Based on what I just read, I am going to pass on the PC-1 and fork out the extra $ for an 8-spd chain.

Thanks.
    The PC-1 is a dog, but the PC-7X (discontinued ) was great - never broke.
    You don't need to fork out extra money for $6.95 you get a KMC Z510 at Nashbar.

cut like the fog.

it's a POS

Thanks.
    I had terrible chain drop with it, and yes my chainline was perfect. I switched to a PC-68 and haven't had a breakage or problem since. The price doesn't make the PC-1 worth the hassel.

b.

Cubicle Fugitive
    No problems here. I've never had one break, nor any issues with chain drop and I rarely do more than eyeball my chainline. Currently running two on 3/32" cogs and chainwheels.

I guess I better knock on wood, as it seems this chain has earned a lot of enemies. I'm not sure I understand what the exact issues are though. . .

Not because I'm fast.....
    [QUOTE=pacman]The PC-1 is a dog, but the PC-7X (discontinued ) was great - never broke.QUOTE]

Do a search on Ebay...I have a new PC-7X I just put up on auction. Sorry for the spam.

mtbr member

I'm another one

that has had problems with chain drop and stretching with a PC-1, I would try the PC-58 as per my team mechanic.
    I just bought a gold KMC to try today for 10 bux...I like gold.
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

industry employee

The PC-1 is a 1/8" chain, not 3/32"

The Sram PC-1 chain has 1/2" x 1/8" links...it's made for single speed BMX bikes with 1/8" chainwheel/freewheel. If your running a 3/32" drivetrain then you'd be better off to use a 3/32" chain.

mike

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the input. I am going with a 8-spd chain.

Anybody know the differences between the PC-58 and PC-68? They are both on sale right now and I am going to pickup a half a dozen. Just wondering if there was a compelling reason the spend the extra $$ for th PC-68. Right now the price difference is not that much.

Regards,
    Jess

industry employee

here's some info...

The PC-58 is a double peened (the way they press the pin to make the plate stay on) and the PC-68 (used to be the PC-61) is quad-peened which gives the PC-68 better side load stength. Be aware that with the PC-68 you will need to carry a 8sp Sram Powerlink connector with you because you cannot press the quad-peened pin back in with a chain tool.

mike
    Last edited by mtbzone; 08-11-2005 at 09:17 AM.