mtbr member
    May 2005

Squeaky noise coming from crankset/bb area

I have a Tru Vativ Stylo crankset and Tru Vativ Isis bb that are barely 2 months old, and there seems to be a squeaking noise coming from the general crankset/bb area. It's not every revolution. Does the bb need re greased?

Steamroller

Lots of options

Quote Originally Posted by Monocog Man
    I have a Tru Vativ Stylo crankset and Tru Vativ Isis bb that are barely 2 months old, and there seems to be a squeaking noise coming from the general crankset/bb area. It's not every revolution. Does the bb need re greased?
    This could be easy, or harder. Your BB should already be plenty greasy, but the threads of the BB shell should be greased or IMHO have antiseize lube on them. Chainring bolts can squeek, the seat post can squeek, pedals, crank to BB spline interface, etc. etc. sounds will travel through the frame and sometimes sound like they come from somewhere other than where the problem is.

Try to narrow it down by figuring out when it squeeks, seated, standing, under heavy load. With a little investigation you may narrow it down to a couple possibilities, then you can work on them. Good luck.... I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...squeeks on my bikes make me crazy, while squeeks on other peoples bikes are mildly amusing, unless they ride next to me for miles
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    This could be easy, or harder. Your BB should already be plenty greasy, but the threads of the BB shell should be greased or IMHO have antiseize lube on them. Chainring bolts can squeek, the seat post can squeek, pedals, crank to BB spline interface, etc. etc. sounds will travel through the frame and sometimes sound like they come from somewhere other than where the problem is.

Try to narrow it down by figuring out when it squeeks, seated, standing, under heavy load. With a little investigation you may narrow it down to a couple possibilities, then you can work on them. Good luck.... I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...I hate squeeks...squeeks on my bikes make me crazy, while squeeks on other peoples bikes are mildly amusing, unless they ride next to me for miles
    It will do it while I am pedaling standing or sitting, and it will do it if I'm on the bike or off; I have tried turning the cranks while off the bike and it does it then too. I'm certain it's not the seat post.

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.
    I agree with Mattman on the probable causes. I'd remove the crank arms and bottom bracket and use anti-seize or grease on the bottom bracket shell's threads and the bottom bracket's threads. Apply grease on both the spindle and crank arm's ISIS interface surfaces. Once everything has been reinstalled and torqued, remove the pedals and grease their threads as well. These areas are usually the cause of the squeaking you described.

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Designated Bleeder

Grease, Grease, Grease

Regardless of the problem, take off the cranks and BB. Clean them out with some water and a rag to get the dirt and crap out of them (Do not soak the bottom bracket). Also clean out the frame and make sure there is no grit or crap in there. Then grease the hell out of that BB. You can't have too much grease if you ask me. When you thread it back in it should be smooth and fit tight. Wipe off all the excess grease on the outside.

Grease the threads of the Crank arms and reinstall them. Then take it out for a spin. 9 times out of 10, the BB is not lubed enough or there is some water or grit in there and the sucker squeaks. Also, make sure all the threads, BB, cranks, spline, etc are snugged down but not over tightened. Don't crank down on threads, the best that can happen is that they strip or get damaged.

Also check your pedals. If they are Shimano clipless, I have found that they tend to squeak when wet and dirty. Clean'em and grease'em up...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

creek

I had the same problem and everyone told me the samething. It was the crankarm.
    Take the crankarm off the spider that the chainring is on, and put grease on the threads of the big nut and crankarm threads and reassemble, and noise gone.
    Good luck.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Time for a new bike

ali'i hua
    having a similar issue recently.

does that bike have an ebb?
    if so, grease it!

assuming that your pedal threads and isis interface are greased, dont forget yer seatpost.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks to everyone for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    dont forget yer seatpost.
    That always seems to be the easy culprit, and it always has people looking at pivots or any other moving part on the bike.
    Usually the only time my bb/crank starts chirping is when i'm riding in wet weather and i've got water in the bb.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by spot
    I had the same problem and everyone told me the samething. It was the crankarm.
    Take the crankarm off the spider that the chainring is on, and put grease on the threads of the big nut and crankarm threads and reassemble, and noise gone.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Spot. Problem solved.