SPV forks on single speeds- Mtbr.com
    Lazy People Suck

SPV forks on single speeds

I am just curious if anyone is using any of the new stable platform forks on their single speed. My main question is how they do act out of the saddle on hammering efforts? I assume that I am like most people that I am out of the saddle more on my single speed than I am on gears. Do they minimize fork bobbing or does it blow through the "platform" pretty easily? Do you have to set it up so that it has little small bump sensitivity to have a sufficient platform?
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just got the Fox f80x

Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    I am just curious if anyone is using any of the new stable platform forks on their single speed. My main question is how they do act out of the saddle on hammering efforts? I assume that I am like most people that I am out of the saddle more on my single speed than I am on gears. Do they minimize fork bobbing or does it blow through the "platform" pretty easily? Do you have to set it up so that it has little small bump sensitivity to have a sufficient platform?

Haven't put it on yet, running rigid until it dries up a bit. I did ride Merlin's new Soulcraft with the same fork. It's an amazing fork, when you first stand up and crank you may get a lil 1/4 inch or so of bob but than it's locked out. I was waiting for the fork to remain rigid when hitting a bump etc., but the fork was immediately active into it's travel and feeling quite plush.

There's an adjustment knob on the lower leg so that you can adjust the fork to be active/sensitive as you want.

croSSman
    Feb 2004

Sorry, he's a little slow sometimes, but not on the bike!

Roger SPV is on the Manitous, dude! Actually, I talked to Heather at Manitou before making my decision about a fork for this year and asked her about the SPV deal. She said that it does not act like a lockout, as the F80X does. It will bob up and down when hammering. I ended up going with the Scareb Super which does have a manual lockout. Had great luck with my last one. I hope this one is half as awesome.
    rossta

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hair splitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ross
    Roger SPV is on the Manitous, dude! Actually, I talked to Heather at Manitou before making my decision about a fork for this year and asked her about the SPV deal. She said that it does not act like a lockout, as the F80X does. It will bob up and down when hammering. I ended up going with the Scareb Super which does have a manual lockout. Had great luck with my last one. I hope this one is half as awesome.

Same type thing, just Manitou's gimmick! With the price you got on the Scareb hard to pass up.

Angel's camp Sunday......think about it. Probably leave my house 10:30ish.

And so what if I'm slooooooooowwwwwww, I still have rights!

Category Winner

I have One

I put a Minute One on my Spicer for the same reason. Yes it bobs a little, but not very much at all. Considering it has 5" of travel, I will accept it. I think it feels way better when climbing than my friend's SC Shiver. It bobs like crazy when climbing. I couldn't be happier with the choice. Maybe if I played with the settings some more I could get it to stop moving all together, but I would probably need a shock pump that is more graduated(hard to get accurate "to the pound" readings).