Sprung tensioner for FSSS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Sprung tensioner for FSSS

Just ordered a new Tallboy (hooray!) and won't dream of running gears on it.

I was mainly thinking of putting either a Melvin or Rohloff tensioner on it. Is one of these significantly better than the other? Is there something else that's better than either of those?

Planning on running a 20 tooth cog if possible.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Don't know about the Melvin. A Rohloff XC/SS works great, though 20T is about as big a cog as it'll handle.
    32/20 right now:
    Sprung tensioner for FSSS-20180206_144849.jpg
    Just remember to compress the shock when sizing the chain to make sure you have enough to achieve full travel. Maybe leave a couple extra links in case you go to a bigger chainring vs. a smaller cog(which I did not, when first trying it with a 30T).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How does the Riot do SS in terms of rear bob?

Any close up pics of the drivetrain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Don't know about the Melvin. A Rohloff XC/SS works great, though 20T is about as big a cog as it'll handle.
    32/20 right now:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180206_144849.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	1182977
    Just remember to compress the shock when sizing the chain to make sure you have enough to achieve full travel. Maybe leave a couple extra links in case you go to a bigger chainring vs. a smaller cog(which I did not, when first trying it with a 30T).
    No skipping when climbing either?

Your bike btw, is largely responsible for my wanting to try this.

mtbr member
    No skipping ever. I do have a NW cog from Absolute Black on there, but I think the tensioner should take care of that, anyway(?).
    This is my first FS bike, and whatever bob there is isn't noticeable to me. It's like riding a hardtail with more traction(and not taking a beating over the bumps, seated or standing). Aside from the obvious weight penalty, it's better in every way as far as I'm concerned. Sean at Canfield told me I'd love it SS or just standing and mashing when I ordered the frame and we got to talking. I keep debating, and switching back and forth between, SS and gears(this bike wants to go fast in the flowy stuff), but Iove riding SS and keep coming back to it.
    Sprung tensioner for FSSS-20171107_132509-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm working with an xd driver so I'm locked into Problem Solvers Zinger kit with their stamped cogs (which I think is fine).

How necessary do you think the bionicon is for retention?

mtbr member
    Not at all. With a NW cog, NW chainring and a tensioner, the chain's more secure than any geared bike's is with a derailleur. I just like the Bionicon, and have a thing about chainwrap...and another thing against chain rattle, or any other noise coming from the bike.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Just converted my Trek Top Fuel to a SS with a Rohloff. Just 3 or 4 rides on it thus far and WOW is it fun. So smooth, deadly silent and pedals like a dream in and/or out of the saddle.

Have an oval Absolute Black 34t in front and 20t in back. No issues with the oval ring either.

Sprung tensioner for FSSS-img_5682-smaller.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Saweet! I ordered the Rohloff. Thanks gents!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Just converted my Trek Top Fuel to a SS
    My bike is a lot of fun, but that makes more sense. I'm sure it's a bit quicker. Just a bit

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    My bike is a lot of fun, but that makes more sense. I'm sure it's a bit quicker. Just a bit
    lol...it is definitely quick, and super nimble with a lengthened 120mm fork paired to 100mm in the rear with a dropper, but I'm sure in rowdier terrain yours would smash the Top Fuel to bits lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Has anyone used an Alfine tensioner with FS? I have one in the parts bin, but don't have the courage to shitcan the 2x10 setup for racing just yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    From my research the Alfine has received very favorable reviews from DH'ers and SS'ers alike. Unfortunately, the chainline is wacky with it so I decided against it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Finally got this all set up (though I still don't have rotors).

Looks like the Rohloff will work well. I did have to flip my chainring but everything seems to line up and feels like there's plenty of tension.

Quality seems to match the price...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprung tensioner for FSSS-20180218_143845.jpg  

mtbr member
    That is a really good-looking bike. I wanted to love the TB3, but strongly preferred the 5010. If I was made of money, I'd go 1x11 on the Riot for trail centers, and build a total weight weenie 5010 as a dedicated singlespeed for my local trail that is more suited to SS(and that I ride most often).
    This is the "year of the mortgage", and living well below my means, but maybe in a couple more years I can actually do all that stuff. Fortunately, I'm crazy about the Riot, and don't find myself wanting or looking at anything else right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Man, I wish this thread had popped up last month. I was looking at building up my NS Snabb Plus 29er frame into an FSSS as it has a lot of anti-squat built into it (too much really), but I wasn't sure about the current tensioner options and most of the forum results seemed really old. I ended up getting a Nimble 9 frame, which I just finished building up this weekend. I stopped riding HTs (and SS) a few years ago because my lower back was/is thrashed from too much desk time, poor post-ride discipline, and the creaking footsteps of middle age - but I figured I could try SS again as a short workout option for those time-challenged days. It's nice to know I have a fallback option.

mtbr member
    I did the same thing. I've used the Rohloff tensioner on two FS bikes now as it was the only one that worked.

Bike is very fast. 34/16
    Sprung tensioner for FSSS-20171204_092401.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Here is the Norco I had the setup on last year. I raced on it all year without any problems. I found the key to be using a Chris King stainless steel cog with a Eagle chain. No slipping, dropping. Just flawless.
    Sprung tensioner for FSSS-20171017_151011.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I did the same thing. I've used the Rohloff tensioner on two FS bikes now as it was the only one that worked.

Bike is very fast. 34/16
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171204_092401.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	1183868
    so sick!! nice whip (and weight!)

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Just curious...has anyone tried a cog bigger than a 20T with a Rohloff? As OwenM mentioned above, it doesn't look like a 21T would fit but just curious

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I emailed Rohloff about this and they claim it will fit a 21. After seeing it with an 18, I have my doubts but hey, they designed it so...

I think a 20 has to be pretty tight...

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    I emailed Rohloff about this and they claim it will fit a 21. After seeing it with an 18, I have my doubts but hey, they designed it so...

I think a 20 has to be pretty tight...
    Just a follow up. Put a 21t on fir an upcoming race and it works. Looks tight but no probs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have a Giant Reign set up with a a 17t and the dh Rohloff. Zero issues but you have to run a narrower chain with it, ss won’t clear. Trial-tech makes a tensioner that is of a similar style and much cheaper. They can handle a ss chain and I have no problems with them either. I tried the Alfine but hated it. It had to hang low like a derailleur and had almost no adjustment for chainline. The other two tuck up in the chainstay so nice.

mtbr member
    Just a follow up. Put a 21t on fir an upcoming race and it works.
    Cool. Glad you posted that up. I read an article where someone said they had trouble with Surly cogs and the Rohloff for some reason, and hadn't even tried them. In addition to the AB 20T, I have Surly 19 and 21T cogs, and may mount up the 19T soon

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Max the cyclist I believe had issues with Surly cogs not playing well with his Melvin tensioner. I personally also had issues using a Surly cog with a derailleur as a tensioner at one time too. This experience has led me to believe that the teeth on the Surly are too tall for running with a sprung tensioner.

On the bike I did this with, you could watch the chain climb up the teeth and then snap back onto the cog. This would cause a skipping feeling at the crank. Switched to a wolf tooth and had no problems. YMMV.

The Rohloff wraps enough chain that it may not be a problem but I would have thought a Melvin wrapped enough chain too...

https://maxthecyclist.wordpress.com/...vin/#more-1731

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Cool. Glad you posted that up. I read an article where someone said they had trouble with Surly cogs and the Rohloff for some reason, and hadn't even tried them. In addition to the AB 20T, I have Surly 19 and 21T cogs, and may mount up the 19T soon
    Yep, no prob! The pictures above where just to show that it fit...but today I actually rode the 21 (with Ab oval 34t chainring on front) and it works great. So smooth. Loving the Rohloff. Big ~90 mile technical race coming up (True Grit Epic in Utah) where I'll definitely but it through it's paces!

WNC Native
    Yep, no prob! The pictures above where just to show that it fit...but today I actually rode the 21 (with Ab oval 34t chainring on front) and it works great. So smooth. Loving the Rohloff. Big ~90 mile technical race coming up (True Grit Epic in Utah) where I'll definitely but it through it's paces!
    Nice to hear it works, and good luck on the race!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I have used various tensioners in the past but settled on the Melvin and it worked well. I just finished converting a Santa Cruz Superlight and chose the Melvin again. I only have 1 ride on it but it had zero issues.

We have so much rain here in NC that it won't be seeing the trail anytime soon.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire View Post
    We have so much rain here in NC that it won't be seeing the trail anytime soon.
    No kidding!!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    A quick word on my experience of late, regarding max cog size ... i've been on hiatus for several years. Getting back into things I not only had to dust off my bikes, but my knowledge of current standards. (diggin' the plus thing, for sure)

I purchased a Ghost Lector 3 hardtail last year and part of my intention was to run it as a 2x1. I found that I can't run a "normal" tensioner on it as I was expecting because of a new derailleur hanger design that's out. I have no idea how long ago this started and I haven't had the time to dig deeper, but what I can tell you is that the position of the "ledge" that the rear derailleur's B-screw sits against is in a different position that what i've experienced for many, many years. There is simply no way that the parts are interchangeable. (although if anyone can enlighten me ... don't mean to hi-jack!)

This leads me to standards ... which is a big fat NO. Lots of companies put their own little twist on things. Sometimes it's a 'great idea' and other's it's a "minor" change in design for sake of frame/component cleanance. Other times someone behind a keyboard just plain ol' get's it wrong. Bottom line is that positions of various bits don't always line up (another good example of this is disc brake mounts).

I first noticed this on a single speed of all things. When running geared versus ss-specific dropouts something was different from previous incarnations I had. Then I looked deeper and found all these little variations.

All that being said (sorry, maybe it wasn't that quick a word) I never trust what max or min I read from manufacturers. With all of these variations about I do my best to read up, talk with people and, time (and patience) permitting, get some parts and check clearances (or whatever) before buying a "supporting part".
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    To add some experience with tensioners - i've had great success with Shimano Alfine and Paul Components Melvin (original version) over the past 10 years. One should also note that if you don't have tremendous chain growth over the travel of your suspension cycle that you can even get away with a Surly Singleator. I've done this with a Kona A frame and a KHS Flagstaff.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Finally got to ride this this past weekend. I'm totally blown away, the Rohloff works incredibly well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Update: The Rohloff is still working incredibly well.

However, I'm noticing a fair amount of chain slap, mostly on the bottom of my chainstay right where the chain leaves the bottom of the chainring.

So I could either: wrap my chain stay in that spot, remove a link, try a bionicon-type chain guide, or try a clutch derailleur.

I've had hit-or-miss success with derailleurs in the past, but I have some ideas to implement this a bit better so I'm going to try a Zee derailleur and see what the hell. It's the most expensive of my options so I figure it has to be worth a try.

mtbr member
    ^^Are you using the Rohloff DH version?

If so, try to get it fairly extended by making your chain smaller. Then place some electrical tape on the underside of your stay. 2 layers will protect it just fine.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's the standard Rohloff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    It's the standard Rohloff.
    I run the DH version. I think the tension is tighter.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    And that's why I like the Bionicon, even if it isn't necessary. I commented earlier about leaving a couple of extra links in the event you switch to a larger chainring, but that was because I'd just switched to a larger chainring, and had to add a piece back in. I do keep my chain at the absolute minimum length necessary to get full travel from the suspension, but have done that from the start, so don't know how much difference it actually makes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Interestingly enough, I skipped a tooth on today's ride. I'm fairly certain it was related to chain slap as it was while going through a small rock garden while pedalling relatively lightly (slowing down to pass some oncoming hikers).

So when I got home I played around with the stock long cage SRAM derailleur that the bike came with. It worked, but the upper pulley is way too far from the cog to be effective. It seemed like it'd want to skip.

So it'll be interesting to see if the Zee will fit any better but I'm not optimistic. I took a link out of my chain, and that did seem to have a noticeable effect. I might just wrap my stay where it's slapping and call it a day. Hopefully it doesn't skip anymore...