Spring is in the air. TIme for a new ride!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spring is in the air. TIme for a new ride!

Well, new to me anyhow. You may remember my Trek 930 I converted last year with the help of many from this forum. Or perhaps it was 2 years ago. Although that frame was a 16" I found it just a tad too big for my 5'6" frame. So, while perusing eBay last month I came upon a 14" Kona Lava Dome. A week later she was in my hands waiting to be built up. Once I purchased a Park crank arm remover (I didn't have a sledgehammer a la DAS), parts were soon transferred. Mind you, they are not bling parts, just OEM stuff that came with the Trek and what was supplied to me during my initial conversion . New to this bike are the Gazzaloddi Jr. 2.6 front tire and a potential Motorapter 2.4 for the rear. Or I may put on the Conti Explorer Pro 2.1 for rear duty. Anyhoo, here she is in all her glory. And yes, I had to take the obligatory "bike on the couch" shot. What would a new bike post be without one? Thanks for reading! I'm also including a shot of my converted to SS Miele road bike with 27" wheels. Still need to get a chain for her. This bike will be relegated to lunch hour rides and times when I can't get to any dirt. She may go fixed, but we'll have to see about that one!!

Here's a better pic of the Kona:

An angled shot:

And a better one of the Miele:

And another of the Miele:

Edit: uploaded larger and "better" pics
    Last edited by PROGRE-SS; 03-26-2004 at 04:14 PM.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

i like the kona!

looks very nice. you must be one little dude, but at least your bike fits now!
    when do we get action shots?

34N 118W
    nice bikes James! Fix 'er!

mtbr member

Thanks for the comments guys!

eSSq: It's hard to get action shots riding solo. Trail shots may be possible this week as trails nearby are starting to dry up.

HW: Thanks for the compliments! I'm being drawn more and more closer to fixing the Miele. We'll see how it goes after a few rides.
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

USB Rep'n
    nice work James. You gonna be riding that Kona when we get together? I have always loved Kona's, the geometry just seems to be perfect! BTW, I run an explorer pro 2.1 on the back of my Blizzard right now. It works pretty well actually although I think there are better rear tires out there. I'd like a little more traction from it as well as a bit more air volume (read bigger tire). For xc, its great, for anything more, its a little on the lean side.

You keeping that Kona rigid??

Here's a pic of my Kula (from years ago), man I still miss that bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good plan

Quote Originally Posted by PROGRE-SS
    eSSq: It's hard to get action shots riding solo. Trail shots may be possible this week as trails nearby are starting to dry up.

HW: Thanks for the compliments! I'm being drawn more and more closer to fixing the Miele. We'll see how it goes after a few rides.
    I'd fix the Miele - nice Ottawa bike eh? - Often wondered...are there any M's kicking around down in the states? i had one yrs ago as a tri bike but as with all good things, it got ripped off

w

Looks like a fun project - so you are going to commute the Kona to work and bomb it around at lunch or have it in the car for lunch runs? What gearing is going to go on it?

mtbr member

Thanks Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    nice work James. You gonna be riding that Kona when we get together? I have always loved Kona's, the geometry just seems to be perfect! BTW, I run an explorer pro 2.1 on the back of my Blizzard right now. It works pretty well actually although I think there are better rear tires out there. I'd like a little more traction from it as well as a bit more air volume (read bigger tire). For xc, its great, for anything more, its a little on the lean side.

You keeping that Kona rigid??

Here's a pic of my Kula (from years ago), man I still miss that bike.
    Yup, that'll be the ride I'll use, unless a miracle happens and I can afford a custom build by then. I'm contemplating on slapping on the Motorapter for rear use. We'll have to see how the Conti holds up to the trails here. Took her on an inaugural (road) ride yesterday around the 'hood with my boys. Felt good. That Gazzi sure hums at speed on the road though. I was zooming past my boys on a downhill and they pulled over as they thought I was a car!! Hoping to get out to some dirt this week. My only window of opportunity to ride is right after my boys catch their bus (7:10am) and when I leave for work at 9:15 at the latest. Include a shower into the equation and I have about an hour to ride. It's a good thiing there are trails within a five mile drive from my place.

I was watching "Extreme Elimination" over the weekend and it hit me hard. I was laughing so hard my wife thought I was crazy! I finally realized where you got your signature. Geez, it took me forever!
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member

Thanks Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by dave66
    I'd fix the Miele - nice Ottawa bike eh? - Often wondered...are there any M's kicking around down in the states? i had one yrs ago as a tri bike but as with all good things, it got ripped off

w

Looks like a fun project - so you are going to commute the Kona to work and bomb it around at lunch or have it in the car for lunch runs? What gearing is going to go on it?
    The project is taking longer than expected though. Need to pick up a new chain sometime this week. The Kona may see some lunch hour urban rides but the Miele will most likely be my lunch hour ride. Both will need to ride in the car though as work is a 90 mile one way trip from Long Pond, PA to Hackensack, NJ, which is a story in itself to be told another day.

I haven't seen any Miele's at all stateside. And yes, it was a good Ottawa commuter bike! I miss those days!

I think the gearing on the Miele will be a 42:16... for now. Like I told HW, I'll take a couple rides on it now and decided on the fixie issue then.

James
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"