Spot Rings- Mtbr.com

Thread: Spot Rings

NedwannaB

Spot Rings

Anyone know why they aren't fab'g their spiderless front rings anymore? If they are going to again, or lastly any ideas on where to get one? I'm really gonna miss my clean splined setup if I can't find a replacement

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Spot was sold awhile back

to Colorado company. Old Spot made XTR front rings. I dont know if its feasible for new owners to tool up for such a small demand item.

Lackey
    I believe Blackspire still makes the spiderless XTR rigs. They are distributed through BTI.

NedwannaB

I'll check out BTI

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pattersnap
    I believe Blackspire still makes the spiderless XTR rigs. They are distributed through BTI.
    Thanks Josh.

seven: As for Spot, just wondering if anyone might have seen one in a shop sitting in display window collecting dust, since they are a little pricey compared to others you can get.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Thanks Josh.

seven: As for Spot, just wondering if anyone might have seen one in a shop sitting in display window collecting dust, since they are a little pricey compared to others you can get.
    I got mine (34t) from ebay. Keep an eye out and one will come up.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    They do, and they are actually for sale right here:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Chainring.aspx
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

Lackey
    If he was looking for the spiderless XTR then the OP needs a ring for XTR M952.
    Those are for the XTR 960 series with the funky 102mm BCD.

On the XTR 952s the middle and small chainrings were secured to the big ring, rather than having the chain rings secured directly to the crank arm via the spider.

The Spot SS ring for the XTR 952 Crankset was press-fit on crank arm splines and secured via a lockring -- much like the White Industries ENO cranks. Very hard to find these days, if Blackspire does not make them I know Boone did.
    Last edited by Joshua Pattersnap; 07-04-2008 at 10:20 PM.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Good job!

If he was looking for the spiderless XTR then the OP needs a ring for XTR M952.
    Those are for the XTR 960 series with the funky 102mm BCD.

On the XTR 952s the middle and small chainrings were secured to the big ring, rather than having the chain rings secured directly to the crank arm via the spider.

The Spot SS ring for the XTR 952 Crankset was press-fit on crank arm splines and secured via a lockring -- much like the White Industries ENO cranks. Very hard to find these days, if Blackspire does not make them I know Boone did.
    ah gotcha...thanks for the detailed clarification Josh.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Boone is over a year behind on chain ring production, and won't even take orders. I am in the same boat with my M952. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
    Peace,
    Mike

mtbr member

I have the XTR 951 (not 952) I'm trying to convert, what ring do I need?

This crank also has middle and inner ring attached to outer ring. Outer ring attaches via a lock ring. Better to leave the crank intact and find another one?
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by gthcarolina
    This crank also has middle and inner ring attached to outer ring. Outer ring attaches via a lock ring. Better to leave the crank intact and find another one?
    It's been a while since I'm seen a 951 or 952 crank.
    If I remember correctly, the only difference between these cranks was the width of the chainrings: the 951 series was eight speed and 952 was nine speed.

Both use the same method of mounting the small and middle chainrings to the big ring, which was then secured to the crank arm. Both shared the same the same BCD.

So you'd convert them to SS using the same setup. If you know a custom fabricator or have a local machine shop that may be your best bet.

mtbr member

Oh, oops, I'm running the 951 with 9 speed

It's been a while since I'm seen a 951 or 952 crank.
    If I remember correctly, the only difference between these cranks was the width of the chainrings: the 951 series was eight speed and 952 was nine speed.

Both use the same method of mounting the small and middle chainrings to the big ring, which was then secured to the crank arm. Both shared the same the same BCD.

So you'd convert them to SS using the same setup. If you know a custom fabricator or have a local machine shop that may be your best bet.
    The bike had 8 speed shifters on it when I got it. To get the crank to work I need to get an spider and then a ring that will fit it? You really think I would need a custom shop to make that?

Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by gthcarolina
    The bike had 8 speed shifters on it when I got it. To get the crank to work I need to get an spider and then a ring that will fit it? You really think I would need a custom shop to make that?
    If you want to have the chainring bolted directly to the crank you may have to surf Ebay or go to a machine shop. This is a part few manufacturers are making nowadays. Sucks, it is so hard to find, it made for a very sexy looking SS setup.

BUT I did some research and found an simpler alternative.

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=303&page=1

This spider mates with your cranks and has a 92mm BCD, you can easily find 32 and 34t single speed chainrings with this BCD.

Webcyclery has them too:

Surly Rings: http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=406&page=1

Salsa Rings: http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=406&page=1

Enjoy,

Josh

mtbr member

All on the same page, too!

Thanks for the re-direct. I remember seeing those initially for people who didn't want to shell out big bucks for XTR replacement rings and could go with a wider range of 5 bolt rings. This is exactly what I need.

Members who have read this thread: 0