Spot Bikes delivery time?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Spot Bikes delivery time?

Over the years I have learned that bike builders seem to work on a different time table than the rest of us. It seems 3 weeks actually means 6 or something like that. Are they all on Martian time? I have noticed a few Spot owners around here and am wondering what time frame did it actually take to get a bike from them? I ordered one awhile back through my LBS and the delivery date has come and gone by over a month. I'm not upset as I expected it to happen, just trying to get an idea of actual Spot time, I want to ride my new bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

spot bikes

Not sure if it makes a differance, but I bought my direct. I spoke with Michael (owner) and Jessica and I had a time line to get this frame to me for a race. They bent over backwards to get it to me on time. Michael went way out of what I would consider the norm to deliver. They are a great company with awesome customer service. Try calling them yourself to get the scoop on back log etc. Michael's honest and will give it toy uo straight.

You will love the frame!!!!! It's worth the wait. Don't get discouraged but don't shy either.

www.spotbike.com for contact info.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    Over the years I have learned that bike builders seem to work on a different time table than the rest of us. It seems 3 weeks actually means 6 or something like that. Are they all on Martian time? I have noticed a few Spot owners around here and am wondering what time frame did it actually take to get a bike from them? I ordered one awhile back through my LBS and the delivery date has come and gone by over a month. I'm not upset as I expected it to happen, just trying to get an idea of actual Spot time, I want to ride my new bike!
    Well, Spots aren't custom bikes, so I'd suspect that their current batches are all allocated to their dealers, so people ordering might be taking a little bit of a back seat while they fill their backlog.

In this age of 'satisfaction on demand', waiting seems to be a problem for a lot of people, so what I've done is devised this little list of things to do to make the time go faster -

1) Go out with friends, preferably ones you've been meaning to catch up with but have been too busy surfing the Internet.

2) Do something with the Wife/Defacto/Girlfriend, or she'll end up running off with your mate who owns a Dean. ( Obviously more patient than you )

3) Start drinking heavily. Apparently that makes time fly to the point where you can't remember what day it is.

4) Think of it as time to save up for parts that deserve to hang off the frame. You don't want to suffer from "Surly hubs on a Seven" Syndrome. ( Close relative to "Chris King on a Surly" Syndrome ). Both of which are cause for much consternation and snickering around the water cooler.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Well, Spots aren't custom bikes, so I'd suspect that their current batches are all allocated to their dealers, so people ordering might be taking a little bit of a back seat while they fill their backlog.

In this age of 'satisfaction on demand', waiting seems to be a problem for a lot of people, so what I've done is devised this little list of things to do to make the time go faster -
    In fact I have been taking advantage of your #2 suggestion "spend time with wife" since I'm laying the groundwork for sneaking another bike into the house. My perception is that she is unaware of my Spot purchase and I'll pull it off, but the reality is that she knows and is taking full advantage of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Call Spot directly

Mike is a great guy and shoots straight. I ordered directy and it came within the time specified (but I happened to catch the batch at the right time). I had my frame crack and Mike turned the repair around quickly but the bike was held up at the painter (who also paints the Rocky frames). Mike kept me in the loop and the end result was a hot fire engine red frame- very cool.

The frame is great. It is worth the wait- believe me.

I feel your pain I am waiting for a W crank to come innew drive train for my baby
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Whats your problem with surly pal?

Hey Thylacine whats wrong with CK parts on a Surly? Not everyone needs to ride a frame built by a small time builder.If you care so much what other people think of your ride you should be more concerned about Guy Rides A Pink Bike Syndrome snickers around the water cooler. Surly has a great reputation of building durable long lasting parts that ride good for a fair price. If this guy puts Surly hubs on his Spot he won't be disappointed unless he wants to spend more money.
    Last edited by Surlydave; 11-17-2004 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Although I never had any first hand experience

with Surly I always respected their "high quality" and "no-nonsense" approach to bicycle frames and components. I'll be the first to admit that although I love my Spot frame' I was not impressedwith the rear hub (binds constantly and my LBS can't do much to alleviate the situation).
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlydave
    Hey Thylacine whats wrong with CK parts on a Surly? Not everyone needs to ride a frame built by a small time builder.If you care so much what other people think of your ride you should be more concerned about Guy Rides A Pink Bike Syndrome snickers around the water cooler. Surly has a great reputation of building durable long lasting parts that ride good for a fair price. If this guy puts Surly hubs on his Spot he won't be disappointed unless he wants to spend more money.
    Gettin a bit...err......Surly there Dave. Perhaps not taking things so personally and to heart might be an option next time. So how are those BBS Magnesium wheels going on your Hyundai, anyway?
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Bike Snobs...
    Last edited by moeman; 11-18-2004 at 01:26 AM.

mtbr member

I think...

mine took 6 weeks or so, pretty sure was quoted 4 weeks. There was a hold up at the painters if I remember right. Call Michael, great guy to deal with. Frame was worth a much longer wait if you ask me.

MC

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Call 'em!

If there's one thing I love about Spot, it's Michael's and Jessica's incredible customer service! Just pick-up the phone and call them to find out the status of your frame....they won't BS you!

And, while you are at it, you can talk with Michael about bikes, SS'ing, riding, etc. I've spent more than a few long conversations with Mike about this and that.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My experience with Spot

They generally do not have an inventory on hand, although they are constantly making bikes. They make them in size batches. You need to speak with Michael and get put "on the list". They will tell you when the bikes are expected in and they are pretty darn close to the date they tell you. Everyone gets put on the list in order - - dealers or individuals.

They do have great customer service. I bought a cross frame from them a few months ago. My size was on stock, but it needed to be painted. I had my bike very quickly and although Michael got backlogged because of Interbike, he actually took my bike to Vegas and shipped it from there (instead of waiting until after Interbike).

Michael is a great guy to speak with about cycling too. Spot is a great company. I am in the process of deciding what I can sell so I can afford a new Spot SS MTB. I had one a year ago that I bought used, but the size was wrong for me. The bike rode great and their paint is top notch. They sponsor lots of SS bike events all across the country and they just seem to "get it".

That is my take on Spot.

P.S. - - > Who cares what parts anyone has on whatever brand SS they ride. Aren't we all on the same team here? Bling factor means very little during a race as long as the bike holds up. It is the engine, not the chassis, that counts.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Tiger
    In this age of 'satisfaction on demand', waiting seems to be a problem for a lot of people
    I don't know if the waiting is so much of a problem as the fact many manufacturers seem to say one thing and do another - of course this is not a problem confined to the bike industry, though it does seem excessively prevalent there. I think this point was clear from the original post.

Sam