mtbr member

Spokes/ Caliper Contact

I was out of biking for a while. When I sold my beloved Zaskar, 60mm of travel on the front and canti brakes were up-to-date.
    A couple of weeks ago, I decided to build a new ride and started researching what is out on the market nowadays.
    While having some other priorities (strollers, car seats, diapers) beside mountain bikes, I set a 600 Can $ Budget.
    I got myself a nice and solid piece of steel and a set of no-brainer components.
    Only the front disc brake was something, I saw for the first time in my life.
    After checking this strange thing (now I know, that's called caliper) for a couple of minutes, I thought , that I understand it.
    So I went on and build up the bike: It's going great, cornering well and even climbing is not as hard, as the 31 pounds are suggesting.
    PROBLEM: when I lean the bike to the right side while climbing, the spokes of the front wheel are touching the adjuster knob of my MX1 caliper (No comments on the MX1 please J, I have read all the reviews, but still thinking, that they are braking well.)
    Anybody else had this problem? Are there other solutions than going 8 inch rotors or rasping off a bit of the plastic knob?
    Thanks for your input

(I'll try take make a close-up pic of the brake)
    Attached Images Attached Images

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    I'm not familiar with that brake setup, but you could try spacing the rotor and the caliper away from the spokes... or dishing the rim over a little bit (sounds like your wheel is a little loose)...or get some 17gauge spokes

g/l
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

whoa

there are a few things you can do- first, Avid work well and should afford a bit more room, second- lace the wheel with all spokes "in bound" (not a good solution), third- try another wheel, fourth- check tension on the spokes...there are a set amountof range and you might just need to take them up to the high side of the "zone"
    I would suck it up and try another wheel and get an Avidbb7

mtbr member

Thanks TT and ERoman,

I´┐Żll go forward with the spacing-the-rotor-idea, Of course, getting BB7 would be the most elegant solution, but a bit expensive though
    Anyway, first thing I have to put some money on is the back wheel, the STX RC Hub with an old bontrager rim (got it for 10 can $) did not stand up for abuse, flat spot after the first small drop
    Rest of the bike is solid (and within my budget

mtbr member

a bottle of beer

Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    I'm not familiar with that brake setup, but you could try spacing the rotor and the caliper away from the spokes... or dishing the rim over a little bit (sounds like your wheel is a little loose)...or get some 17gauge spokes

g/l
    Maybe I should go for the 17 gauge spokes, would make the bike feeling almost like a full suspension and with the quarter pound weight saving, I'll climb a lot faster or I could carry an extra bottle of beer on my rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myata
    Are there other solutions than going 8 inch rotors or rasping off a bit of the plastic knob?
    Thanks for your input

(I'll try take make a close-up pic of the brake)
    Take the bike to the shop & have them face the disc mounting tabs, taking off just enough material so that the caliper clears the spokes.

That is all.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I've had this problem before.
    First was w/ a hydraulic brake set (super-duper crappy Interloc Dual Bangers). The pads would not contact the rotor in the center of the caliper so I had to set it up off center which put the caliper terribly close to my spokes. Contact every revolution on my Xmax w/ aluminum spookes. Fun, fun, fun.

I found out the problem had to do with the hub bearings. The hub was not centered in the axle. After moving the hub over just a bit along the axle I was able to correct the problem.

I have been having the same problem w/ my new Avid BB and old XRoc front wheel. Every now and again the caliper and spokes rub. Back to titying up the hub/axle and everything is good now.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

my knees hurt
    I would do what the others suggested....if we ran into this problem at the shop we would first check the dish of the wheel and also make sure the axle/bearings are adjusted properly. If dishing the wheel will not take care of it and relacing the wheel is out of the question we face the brake tabs down a little. That will usually take care of it....